I serve food i cant eat...

Hello, so I am a server (waitress) at a restaurant and I work crazy hours! The food is in my face all day and most of the time I work 8 hr shifts with no breaks.. any advice on how I can loose weight while working? Also I get home 80% of the time at 10 or 11. How can I eat even though it's so late?

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    first question is why can't you eat it? allergies?
    working 8hrs with no breaks is not legal in most places...
    and timing of eating is not relevant to weight loss.
  • rsleighty
    rsleighty Posts: 214 Member
    I work at a camp/conference/retreat center. The days I work a shift in the kitchen I am in the same boat with serving things I shouldn't eat. Our ched is a good cook but loves his salt and REALLY loves his deep fryer. I try to make the best choices I can (baked potato with sour cream and steamed broccoli, salad with lots of veggies and light on the dressing) and eat healthy otherwise. Te desserts are really tough to pass up though.
  • teetertatertango
    teetertatertango Posts: 229 Member
    I was unclear from your post what the exact problems you are having are.

Is it that the only food available while working is unhealthy? If so, can you pack snacks to eat during informal breaks or bathroom breaks?

Eating at 10-11+ is fine if it fits into your calorie limits. If you don't feel like eating after your shift, you could look into something like intermittent fasting, where you eat your calories during a limited time period during the day (for example, 16/8 where you only eat during an 8 hour window, maybe 6AM to 2PM would work with your schedule).

When I worked in a restaurant, I eventually got so sick of seeing and smelling food constantly that I couldn't eat the food even though it was free. I don't know if this is a common occurrence.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,492 Member
    I used to work as a server and ate like 1500 of my calories after I got home around 1-2am. No problem.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    8 hour shifts and no breaks actually breaks the law where I live. This is either at OP's choice or perhaps an excuse.. not being snarkie..

You just do what ya gotta do. You can be controlled by your lifestyle or you can control it. Weight loss is the single one thing in life you have complete control over..
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    You can eat at any time of day, as long as you stay within your calorie goals.

I'm not sure where you are, but where I'm from employers need to give you a break if you work over 6 hours, so I would be looking into that if I were you.

Pshhh, try being a nurse. 12 hours and there's rarely a 30 minute clock-out. We just run and eat for 10 minutes when we can.

OP, I used to be a server and I worked that same shift. I say eat right before you go into work and right after. And bring healthy snacks that you can throw down intermittently during your shift.

I just had two loved ones spend extended time in the hospital...nothing but love for the nurses. You guys are super heroes!
  • ogtmama
    RoxieDawn wrote: »
    8 hour shifts and no breaks actually breaks the law where I live. This is either at OP's choice or perhaps an excuse.. not being snarkie..

You just do what ya gotta do. You can be controlled by your lifestyle or you can control it. Weight loss is the single one thing in life you have complete control over..

Funny...it sounds snarky.
  • ogtmama
    ...but the law here is that you must provide 30 minutes break after 5 hours or longer, the 30 minutes need not be consecutive.
  • KiraAnnMarie
    KiraAnnMarie Posts: 4 Member
    Well I see a lot about it being illegal to not have a break, well it's not with serving. Since we don't get paid hourly and our money comes from tips (thank you people who tip 20%) and being a tipped employee we basically have no rights. Thank you guys for the advice. I was afraid that coming home from work and eating half my calories before bed time was a bad thing. Thanks guys!!