Replies

• fastpitch2015
    fastpitch2015 Posts: 206 Member
    Options
    try2again wrote: »
    How many calories were you eating?

12-1500

So therein lies the problem for me. Yes, you were extremely obese and it's good you got that weight off, but I don't like holding out a VLCD as a model for others. You could have been eating twice that and lost plenty while giving your body time to adapt and avoiding the potential negative effects of extremely rapid weight loss. Of course, if you were instructed by a doctor to do it this way, and under his close supervision, that is a different story (but not much).

Regardless there's skin either way. I still have more weight to loose.
  • eroarke
    eroarke Posts: 3 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    201 Lbs in 8 months is amazing lose.............. I would love to see a sample of your food diaries?
  • fastpitch2015
    Options

12-1500

So therein lies the problem for me. Yes, you were extremely obese and it's good you got that weight off, but I don't like holding out a VLCD as a model for others. You could have been eating twice that and lost plenty while giving your body time to adapt and avoiding the potential negative effects of extremely rapid weight loss. Of course, if you were instructed by a doctor to do it this way, and under his close supervision, that is a different story (but not much).

If you think loose skin is the only negative effect of rapid weight loss, you need more education about weight loss, health, and fitness. And by the way, I'm not trying to be mean or negative- just don't want the casual MFP user reading this thread to think this is an advisable way to lose weight.

Obesity is a killer. I was on 20 meds a day. I was set up for Bariatric surgery. I am living now. I was basically dead then. So think bout it!
  • andrektan
    andrektan Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Just going to add to the praise. That's absolutely amazing!
  • fastpitch2015
    Options
    And as far as muscle. I was 426 pounds of fat. If I had any muscle it was only because it was there from carrying 426 pounds around. 8cuppc0u764q.jpeg
  • try2again
    try2again Posts: 3,562 Member
    Options

12-1500

If you think loose skin is the only negative effect of rapid weight loss, you need more education about weight loss, health, and fitness. And by the way, I'm not trying to be mean or negative- just don't want the casual MFP user reading this thread to think this is an advisable way to lose weight.

Obesity is a killer. I was on 20 meds a day. I was set up for Bariatric surgery. I am living now. I was basically dead then. So think bout it!

Yes, obesity is absolutely is a killer. And again, I would defer to anyone's doctor. But I would hate for the average obese person to come on here and think they have to starve themselves and exercise nonstop to substantially impact their health. If they try to imitate you, only to find your severe plan impossible to live with, and they end up quitting as a result, how does that benefit them or their health? Not looking to detract from your success, just to provide a balanced view for others. I truly hope this is just the beginning of a permanent lifestyle change for you and you continue to learn, live long, and prosper! :)
  • fastpitch2015
    Options

12-1500

Yes, obesity is absolutely is a killer. And again, I would defer to anyone's doctor. But I would hate for the average obese person to come on here and think they have to starve themselves and exercise nonstop to substantially impact their health. If they try to imitate you, only to find your severe plan impossible to live with, and they end up quitting as a result, how does that benefit them or their health? Not looking to detract from your success, just to provide a balanced view for others. I truly hope this is just the beginning of a permanent lifestyle change for you and you continue to learn, live long, and prosper! :)

My success story is to inspire. I'm an average person. Everyone's results vary. I cut out fast food and I only eat out 3-4 times a month. I eat very clean. It fell off for me. I eat clean and I don't drink calories. Anyone who cleans there eating will have great results. You don't starve yourself you just eat correctly and exercise helps. Even if you walk an hour a day.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options

12-1500

My success story is to inspire. I'm an average person. Everyone's results vary. I cut out fast food and I only eat out 3-4 times a month. I eat very clean. It fell off for me. I eat clean and I don't drink calories. Anyone who cleans there eating will have great results. You don't starve yourself you just eat correctly and exercise helps. Even if you walk an hour a day.

Well, you are starving yourself at those numbers. Energy is energy, whether it's from foods you call clean or from foods you call dirty. Your body requires a certain number to live (BMR) and you are guaranteed eating below it.

Look, your success story is great, but I want to mention that this is a VLCD and actually against MFP policy. So, like others have mentioned, it's not digs at you, but this needs to be clarified to new members who read this so they don't expect this. It kinda goes against what the majority of us believe is a "healthy and sustainable" way of losing weight, and that's the real goal.
  • fastpitch2015
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

12-1500

Well, you are starving yourself at those numbers. Energy is energy, whether it's from foods you call clean or from foods you call dirty. Your body requires a certain number to live (BMR) and you are guaranteed eating below it.

Look, your success story is great, but I want to mention that this is a VLCD and actually against MFP policy. So, like others have mentioned, it's not digs at you, but this needs to be clarified to new members who read this so they don't expect this. It kinda goes against what the majority of us believe is a "healthy and sustainable" way of losing weight, and that's the real goal.

Actually a VLCD is a liquid diet. I eat real food. And you are incorrect. I simply stopped eating bad foods and counting and measuring everything I eat. I took out salt and sugar and lowered carbs and up my protein and j got off my fat *kitten* and moved. If that's something that's just killing you then you have a lot of issues. Don't take away from someone who is actually living instead of dying. You have done great to try and push what you want to believe but you are incorrect!
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    Vlcd are not just liquid diets. They are any diet that is very low calorie hence the name
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »

12-1500

Actually a VLCD is a liquid diet. I eat real food. And you are incorrect. I simply stopped eating bad foods and counting and measuring everything I eat. I took out salt and sugar and lowered carbs and up my protein and j got off my fat *kitten* and moved. If that's something that's just killing you then you have a lot of issues. Don't take away from someone who is actually living instead of dying. You have done great to try and push what you want to believe but you are incorrect!

Okay. I didn't say anything that wasn't a fact. Enjoy your success.
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I can relate a little bit to your story.
    I lost 100# in 7 months. It took me 14 more months to lose 60 more for a total loss of 160#. I have been maintaining for over 2-1/2 years now.
    Everyone is different. What is good for one person, may not be for another. No one is equipped with the knowledge to tell someone else what they are doing is wrong. You have no idea what is right for someone else, only for yourself.
    I don't know about the OP (I totally admire his accomplishment), but I was, and have been, under my doctors supervision since the very beginning. I know for a fact that getting the weight off of my body, improved my health immensely.
    I think it is arrogant to assume that you know better than the person who is actually living through this without any real knowledge (other than the pounds lost) about the person.

Well done sir! I wish you only success for your future goals!

BTW Tomk652015, people give up on losing weight for multitudes of reasons. The fact is, I gave up countless times, for years, before I succeeded. No one was to blame for my failures, except myself. Fact is, it was success stories, such as this, that kept me going. I thought, if they can do this, so can I, and I did. The blame can not be put on other people, for whatever reason.
  • fastpitch2015
    Options
    I lost 100# in 7 months. It took me 14 more months to lose 60 more for a total loss of 160#. I have been maintaining for over 2-1/2 years now.
    Everyone is different. What is good for one person, may not be for another. No one is equipped with the knowledge to tell someone else what they are doing is wrong. You have no idea what is right for someone else, only for yourself.
    I don't know about the OP (I totally admire his accomplishment), but I was, and have been, under my doctors supervision since the very beginning. I know for a fact that getting the weight off of my body, improved my health immensely.
    I think it is arrogant to assume that you know better than the person who is actually living through this without any real knowledge (other than the pounds lost) about the person.

His math is actually off. And he says it's hard for obese to burn calories. My calorie burn was threw the roof. I lost 100 lbs on day 100. I got off my *kitten*. I did the work and I still do. It doesn't matter what he post. He obviously has nothing better to do than knock someone who worked there *kitten* off. And I continue to do til now. I do 10 miles a day everyday. I'm working hard and it's paying off. I'm healthier now than I've ever been in my life. And I feel 20 years younger.
  • T0M_K
    T0M_K Posts: 7,526 Member
    Options

His math is actually off. And he says it's hard for obese to burn calories. My calorie burn was threw the roof. I lost 100 lbs on day 100. I got off my *kitten*. I did the work and I still do. It doesn't matter what he post. He obviously has nothing better to do than knock someone who worked there *kitten* off. And I continue to do til now. I do 10 miles a day everyday. I'm working hard and it's paying off. I'm healthier now than I've ever been in my life. And I feel 20 years younger.

share it man! thats all. just share it.
  • sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    Tomk652015 wrote: »
    c1wzqayn4fsx.jpg

its not hating. do you "really" understand what has occurred here??? this isn't by chance. this is mathematical. This is something that VERY few people in the world could achieve. Let me spell this out in a hypothetical scenario: NO OFFENSE TO THE OP!! Some people see these sorts of nearly unachievable claims and when they can repeat it they get defeated and just give up. This is NOT going to happen to most likely anyone else on these boards..its that radical.

A weight loss of this magnitude is every bit of 6 pounds a week avg for approximately 35 weeks in a row. This rate of loss is beyond enormous. We know early weeks are more, later weeks are less. 6lbs is the average. Lets do the math.

For one to achieve this sort of loss we need to know that a pound of fat is = to 3500 calories. Now before you jump on me, i know some of the weight was water weight. its insignificant when were talking 200lbs lost.

That said you would need to create a 21,000 calorie deficit A WEEK and sustain it "on average" for 35 weeks.

As an example: if your a 43 yrs old man and your 5' 10" tall and you weigh 426lbs your BMR is about 2800 to 3000 calories per day. If you eat NOTHING you burn approx 3000 calories per day which is the amount of deficit required to achieve the loss. You can accomplish this deficit by not eating anything at all for 8 mths which duh..that didn't happen or you can burn 3000 calories a day and eat your 3000 calories. we know that didn't happen. on calorie burn, we know a 426 lb sedentary 43 yr old male isn't running laps on the track for 3 hours a day so lets be somewhat realistic. burning calories is HARD WORK as anyone who jumps on the treadmill or loads up their mapping app and takes off down the street. the calories burned come slow and extremely hard earned. an example below is a barometer of calorie burn.

For a 300lb man to walk 3 miles a day your talking a calorie burn of approx 500 calories. that's 3 miles at 3mph per day 7 days a week. Remember, we need that target 3000 calorie "deficit". lets be generous and say we burned 1000 calories. Therefore we've achieved 1000 deficit of our needed 3000. our BMR gets us a load of burned calories free of effort which = 3000 per above. So before we've eaten a bite, we get a burn of 3000bmr plus 1000 exercise = 4000 calories burned. To get our 3000 target deficit net burn we can only eat 1000 calories in that 24 hour period. Difficult but possible. however as we lose weight, we burn less and less and in addition as we get conditioned we burn less on the exercise side of the equation as well. This gets harder and harder and harder to sustain.

I'm not saying the OP didn't accomplish this, but before we bash either him or those trying to dig into the details of his journey we have to stop and understand the process first.

The OP did something that is astronomical and should be commended and should share the details of his journey so we could all learn and understand the true effort of his accomplishment. He surely didn't stumble into this success in 8 months time, it would "i assume" take meticulous record keeping to accomplish this.

As one person already pointed out, this appears to have taken an extremely low calorie diet which is not promoted here so there should be some accountability by the OP when posting such a story so that others can grasp an accurate account of the story.

If the details aren't *edit spelling* easily forth coming, one would think there is something amiss.

like duh, i do understand thanks for clarifying it MATHEMATICALLY. Op worked hard and yes it was fast but several were questioning it and blah blah blah and I like the stupid meme so whatever.....
  • fastpitch2015
    Options
    8pptgpzmkpjv.jpeg
    c1wzqayn4fsx.jpg

its not hating. do you "really" understand what has occurred here??? this isn't by chance. this is mathematical. This is something that VERY few people in the world could achieve. Let me spell this out in a hypothetical scenario: NO OFFENSE TO THE OP!! Some people see these sorts of nearly unachievable claims and when they can repeat it they get defeated and just give up. This is NOT going to happen to most likely anyone else on these boards..its that radical.

A weight loss of this magnitude is every bit of 6 pounds a week avg for approximately 35 weeks in a row. This rate of loss is beyond enormous. We know early weeks are more, later weeks are less. 6lbs is the average. Lets do the math.

For one to achieve this sort of loss we need to know that a pound of fat is = to 3500 calories. Now before you jump on me, i know some of the weight was water weight. its insignificant when were talking 200lbs lost.

That said you would need to create a 21,000 calorie deficit A WEEK and sustain it "on average" for 35 weeks.

As an example: if your a 43 yrs old man and your 5' 10" tall and you weigh 426lbs your BMR is about 2800 to 3000 calories per day. If you eat NOTHING you burn approx 3000 calories per day which is the amount of deficit required to achieve the loss. You can accomplish this deficit by not eating anything at all for 8 mths which duh..that didn't happen or you can burn 3000 calories a day and eat your 3000 calories. we know that didn't happen. on calorie burn, we know a 426 lb sedentary 43 yr old male isn't running laps on the track for 3 hours a day so lets be somewhat realistic. burning calories is HARD WORK as anyone who jumps on the treadmill or loads up their mapping app and takes off down the street. the calories burned come slow and extremely hard earned. an example below is a barometer of calorie burn.

For a 300lb man to walk 3 miles a day your talking a calorie burn of approx 500 calories. that's 3 miles at 3mph per day 7 days a week. Remember, we need that target 3000 calorie "deficit". lets be generous and say we burned 1000 calories. Therefore we've achieved 1000 deficit of our needed 3000. our BMR gets us a load of burned calories free of effort which = 3000 per above. So before we've eaten a bite, we get a burn of 3000bmr plus 1000 exercise = 4000 calories burned. To get our 3000 target deficit net burn we can only eat 1000 calories in that 24 hour period. Difficult but possible. however as we lose weight, we burn less and less and in addition as we get conditioned we burn less on the exercise side of the equation as well. This gets harder and harder and harder to sustain.

I'm not saying the OP didn't accomplish this, but before we bash either him or those trying to dig into the details of his journey we have to stop and understand the process first.

The OP did something that is astronomical and should be commended and should share the details of his journey so we could all learn and understand the true effort of his accomplishment. He surely didn't stumble into this success in 8 months time, it would "i assume" take meticulous record keeping to accomplish this.

As one person already pointed out, this appears to have taken an extremely low calorie diet which is not promoted here so there should be some accountability by the OP when posting such a story so that others can grasp an accurate account of the story.

If the details aren't *edit spelling* easily forth coming, one would think there is something amiss.

like duh, i do understand thanks for clarifying it MATHEMATICALLY. Op worked hard and yes it was fast but several were questioning it and blah blah blah and I like the stupid meme so whatever.....

• sashayoung72
    sashayoung72 Posts: 441 Member
    Options
    8pptgpzmkpjv.jpeg
    c1wzqayn4fsx.jpg

That's great LOL

l7tpjw8uoukx.jpg
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!