Motivate me!

Licensed veterinary technician. Put on some pounds in school and I'm trying to drop the weight. Lost about 20lbs so far but I've plateaued and I'm really struggling to stay focused. I struggle to lose weight due to an under active thyroid due to some bad steroid treatments for my health. Any tips so I'm not starving Myself would be great! fkqd39kh1nxd.jpeg

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,179 Member
    Can your thyroid ever heal or is it just shot?
  • beccsm8559
    beccsm8559 Posts: 9 Member
    It's not damaged per say but they gave me very high doses for a long period of time and it's now more hypothyroid. It's not severe but I have to eat maybe 600-900 calories a day to see weight loss. No matter what the macros are.
  • 285to170
    285to170 Posts: 330 Member
    beccsm8559 wrote: »
    It's not damaged per say but they gave me very high doses for a long period of time and it's now more hypothyroid. It's not severe but I have to eat maybe 600-900 calories a day to see weight loss. No matter what the macros are.

Oy! I don't know how you're not going to not feel starved with that low of an allotment. I've basically stopped eating meat (in not a vegetarian it just sorta happened) and now I actually get to eat a lot more. Foods high in fibre fill me up super fast too.

Is your weight loss being monitored by your doctor and a nutritionist?

• beccsm8559
    I eat a lot of salmon and tilapia, and chicken so I don't know if I could drop it completely. I'm eating about 1400-1700 calories right now to maintain weight. When I add in exercise like insanity or running I bump my caloric intake but I see results so much slower. Unfortunately with my work schedule I don't have the time or the finances to work with a doctor (bad I know) but I lost about 60 pounds 6 years ago or so and I did it in a healthy manner.
  • koreangurl
    koreangurl Posts: 59 Member
    Go lose weight now! Don't let anything stop you. Any obstacles you have can be overcome with hard work and consistency.
  • CliftonTrentMurphy
    CliftonTrentMurphy Posts: 8 Member
    if you eat the right stuff you can still get a worthy amount of food in for that day. my biggest peace of advice is to eat your food very slowly like a lot of bites and lots of water. you can do it I believe in you. good job
  • beccsm8559
    If I eat two eggs plain for breakfast, a protein with a large amount of dark greens a protein filled snack with a healthy fat a piece of fruit and then the same for dinner I won't lose a pound. Did that for two months while working out and didn't drop a single pound. Don't eat much of anything and I lose the weight.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    How much exercise do you do? The one thing that would likely help is increasing physical activity 3x-4x what it is now. You may simply want to try eating around maintenance, or slightly under, then exercise at least 3-5 times a week for about 30-60 minutes. Stay away from the scale for a couple of weeks and see what happens. Your body has no choice but to burn energy when you exercise, and it has to come from somewhere. If you exercise fasted like I do, then it comes from fat stores. So I'll get up super early, drink coffee (no sugar or extra creamers for calories) or a pre-workout with very few calories, and exercise for 60 minutes. I make sure my heart rate stays around or well above 120 bpm for that 60 minutes. I do this 6 days a week. Right after exercise I drink a protein drink and eat some complex carbs for breakfast (bran usually). That's the biggest thing that helped me. I easily lost weight on a calorie deficit until I got within 20 lbs of my goal weight, then it stopped dead until I adopted this routine. Just a thought.
  • beccsm8559
    edited June 2016
    Right now my exercise is wrestling farm animals and large dogs. The diet mentioned above included doing insanity and running 4-6x a week with an and leg workouts.
  • beccsm8559
    Thanks everyone for the posts!!! It's very much appreciated