Does your remaining fat "redistribute" after losing weight, or is that a myth?

Options

Replies

• sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    Options
    I've been in maintenance for about a year too, and my shape has continued to change for the better (more defined facial features, abs, legs, bust leaning out and tightening up). Some of that could be unrelated to weight loss (e.g., I'm middle-aged so hormones; I only started working out 3 years ago after a lifetime fitness history of ZILCH so all kinds of stuff could still be adjusting there). But mostly I think it's the weight loss. Like my body is still trying to figure out where to store things.
  • ARGriffy
    ARGriffy Posts: 1,002 Member
    Options
    I hope my fat redistributes back to my boobs!!

Oh I can only dream!
  • hcdo
    hcdo Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Man, that would be awesome if it would redistribute itself to my boobs and butt instead of my stomach and cankles! Stupid fat.
  • bfanny
    bfanny Posts: 440 Member
    Options
    I'm very hard on myself and ONLY focus on my problem area (lower abs pouch) but each year my clothes from last year (summer) are bigger from all over, despite being around the same weight...I'm shrinking!!!
    Thanks to lifting/cardio & a small deficit ;)
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    Is the problem that there is still a small layer of flab under the skin or is it actually skin rolls that have shriveled up and wrinkled because they have no fat or muscle behind them?

Do you think this is because the weight was lost too quickly?

Do you think its caused by a lot of water weight lost?

For those who have seen this improve over years, as some have said it has, what do you think made the improvement?
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    I've had no luck with loose skin tightening, but then again, I'm only a couple years short of fifty. I have given up on that and contented myself with not being fat.
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    It make sense, yes, but its my arms and thighs that seem to have the most jiggly flab after losing 30 pounds, not the abdominal area. So idk? I still have about 10 to 20 to lose to get back to where I started before gaining I think. I lost it fairly quickly and maybe some was edema as I now eat a lot more protien less carbs where before, mostly carbs.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    I kinda disagree with the the fat gain in ab and core area because we do not use them when we become less active.

I theory fat accumulated in the lower body is mainly subcutaneous, while fat in the abdominal area is largely visceral. Where fat ends up is influenced by several factors, including heredity and hormones.
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    You don’t actually “lose” fat cells, you “shrink” or “empty out” fat cells because the fat inside is used for energy. Any fat that is used makes the cell shrink but the fat cell is always there waiting to fill up and increase in size if you overeat your calorie input. They don't move but you can add more elsewhere.

That's a depressing thought...those damn fat cells will always be lurking :disappointed:
  • girl_inflames
    girl_inflames Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »
    It make sense, yes, but its my arms and thighs that seem to have the most jiggly flab after losing 30 pounds, not the abdominal area. So idk? I still have about 10 to 20 to lose to get back to where I started before gaining I think. I lost it fairly quickly and maybe some was edema as I now eat a lot more protien less carbs where before, mostly carbs.

Me too! My arms and thighs still feel flabby and huge even after almost 40 pounds lost. My tummy I can now live with but my arms and thighs drive me insane! I'm wondering if weight lifting would help. I really don't want muscle definition, but I want the flab gone!!
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    Options
    You don’t actually “lose” fat cells, you “shrink” or “empty out” fat cells because the fat inside is used for energy. Any fat that is used makes the cell shrink but the fat cell is always there waiting to fill up and increase in size if you overeat your calorie input. They don't move but you can add more elsewhere.

That's a depressing thought...those damn fat cells will always be lurking :disappointed:

That's why there is CoolSculpting! Not for me.. just saying..

I am way too old to worry about this kind of stuff now, I managed to do quite a bit with body recomp, and I keep plugging away at it and what what I can't build in muscle will just have to stay there! LOL
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    Gamliela wrote: »

Me too! My arms and thighs still feel flabby and huge even after almost 40 pounds lost. My tummy I can now live with but my arms and thighs drive me insane! I'm wondering if weight lifting would help. I really don't want muscle definition, but I want the flab gone!!

Lost battle for me. I have bat wings. If I flex, you can hardly tell that they are there, and I have some muscle definition... but they haven't gone anywhere.

For what it's worth, I've gained 5 pounds or so since I started maintaining 2 years ago but I've lost a couple inches in my waist and hips (my problem areas) since.
  • Kimberly_Harper
    Kimberly_Harper Posts: 406 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I hope my fat redistributes back to my boobs!!

Right?!?! One of only two bummer effects of my weight loss. (the other being genetics/what happens to your skin as you age and lose weight thing)
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    Options

:'(:'(:'(
  • caroldavison332
    caroldavison332 Posts: 864 Member
    Options
    You will revert to a smaller size applie, hour glass, pear shape, or whatever you were previously,
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    The fat cells obviously do not move but they aren't in a static state either - the fat in them (triglyceride) is filling/emptying all the time depending on your current energy balance.
    Recomp would mean you simply have less fat stored not that it has "moved".

But one thing I have noticed is that when I gain weight (holidays/vacations etc.) it all seems to be around my middle but arms and legs remain lean, whether that is just a function of being leaner overall or a visual illusion - who knows?

Relationship between recomp and genetics - yes some people are more gifted in their ability to gain muscle.
    I've always seemed to be able to gain muscle easier/quicker than my age peer group. Unfortunately I also seem to lose muscle quickly when I'm not training. My brother would retain the shape of someone who is trained whereas I would quickly just look, and be, chubby.

People do have different genetic predisposition to store fat in certain areas. We've all seen people that seem to have mis-matched proportions - a slim top half and a fat *kitten* and legs for instance!

(Sorry - the kitten thing just amuses me!)

Women in definite particular have the strong genetics for where their fat accumulates. "She got it from her momma" - 100% truth. In my family, even the women in size 0 have tendency to have bigger arms. On my dads side, no one has any behind!

I'm one of those people - I think - who seems to have a muscular build and I build muscle easily and quickly.

Those people who seem "mismatched" would still have the same general shape if they were totally normal BMI and normal body fat %. I think distribution is all genetics, with the exception of abdominal obesity.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

But their souls are sad and empty...just like we like them
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    Options
    I just kept walking and my gut tightened up, my bust perked up, and I looked much better. My naive feeling was that the fat physically wasn't there any more, so the cells had to tighten up. It was like after I had my kids. But looks great now.