Is 700 calories Sufficient???

Options

Replies

• zonah
    zonah Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    If you are on a raw food diet why don't you add some protein in the form of Sushi, avocado, raw seeds and nuts your brain needs healthy fats to function properly. Please visit a certified nutritionist to make sure you are getting enough vitamins, minerals and calories. There is now way 700 cal is enough for anyone even if they stay in bed all day. And you work out six times a week.

Please take care (hugs)
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options

Can you tell me the source / study which supports that everyone needs 1,200 - 1,500 calories per day to support brain function alone? I would be happy to consider it but this doesn't sound right to me. I think you are getting confused with BMR. Incidentally, on a quick calculation the OP's BMR is actually around the 1,200 calorie level. BMR is the main component of TDEE (the amount of daily calories you need to maintain itself) and reflects your energy needs to power basic functions. BMR makes up about 70% of TDEE in most circumstances. Of BMR, brain function takes up about 20%. So, 20% of her BMR of 1,200 is 240 calories.

Sure can. My college psychology professor, my college psych textbooks, my university science texts, and my best friend who is a psychiatrist who treats ED's on a daily basis.

So, trust me, I know what I'm talking about.

Also, if you think about it, it will make sense. Evolution designed us to have smaller waistlines, but larger brains...and yet we evolved into needing meat (protein) and high calorie and high-carb foods to support the higher brain functions.

If she wants the pea-sized brain of a deer, then hey, all the more to her. I'm just saying that with the amount she works out and with a lack of protein and carbs, her body is going to eat away at her brain and she's going to end up with little to no brain function in her old age...if she makes it that far. Without proper protein intake, the body eats away at it's own muscle including the heart and the brain, so unless she gets to a nutritionist who will put her on the right path...well...I'm going to leave that up for interpretation.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    You know the answer to this question, but if you do increase your intake you will likely gain quickly because your metabolism has got to be very very low. I am 5'5", weigh 125 lbs and eat over 2000 calories a day and I am losing about 1.2 lbs a week. You probably think that's too heavy, though.
  • Katie3784
    Katie3784 Posts: 543
    Options
    All he people on here telling her to eat more and that she i starving herself actually just feeds into her illness. We should not respond to these kind of posts. I regret my previous reply.
  • Cassielfsw
    Cassielfsw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm going to be very blunt.

NO, 500 or 700 or anything under 1200 calories (at a BARE MINIMUM) is not enough.

The people in concentration camps in WW2 were fed about 400 calories a day. You know what happened to a lot of them, right?

And those of us who are saying that you sound like you have an eating disorder are NOT "attacking" anyone. We are urging you to get medical and psychological help so that you DON'T DIE.

If someone posted on a message board saying, "hi, my left arm really hurts and I've got a crushing pain in my chest and I'm wondering if maybe this is a problem?" You would tell them to get their *kitten* to a hospital immediately, wouldn't you?

PLEASE see a doctor.
  • cmwaddell
    cmwaddell Posts: 12
    Options
    Alot of you are very quick to judge someone without actually knowing a whole lot about their lifestyle.

I do not have an illness, i'm actually probably healthier than most of you.
    I have regular check ups and no doctor has ever told me otherwise.
    i have been eating like this my whole life, i have also been thin my whole life!
    Both my parents eat the same way, they are very active 55 year olds and far from dead.

I came here for some advice on how i could incorporate some more calories into my diet without gaining a tone of wieght.
    i love my body and my lifestyle.
    i feel like i have been attacked.

I do however appriciate all of you who private messaged me with some great advice that i will definitely be taking into account.
  • cmwaddell
    cmwaddell Posts: 12
    Options
    All he people on here telling her to eat more and that she i starving herself actually just feeds into her illness. We should not respond to these kind of posts. I regret my previous reply.

Shutup
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    If you want to see what you're missing in your diet, change some of the things you are tracking...check your calcium intake, your fiber, your potassium levels, and iron intake and see how your nutrition is doing. (go to settings and change the things you track. Then run reports for 30 or 90 days to see how you measure up).

The reason we have to eat more than 700 calories is that we simply cannot fulfill our nutritional needs with so little food. Eating is NOT just to fill up our tummies and stop the hunger pangs. Our bodies need the nutrients in the food we eat in order to function.

To increase calories, add nuts, olive oil, greek yogurt, tofu, eggs, whole dairy instead of low fat or fat free, and add some brown rice, whole grain pasta, or granola.
  • Cassielfsw
    Cassielfsw Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I came here for some advice on how i could incorporate some more calories into my diet without gaining a tone of wieght.

This right here. This is a problem.

Why, exactly, are you concerned about gaining "a ton of weight" when you're medically underweight and living like somebody in a starvation camp?
  • christine24t
    christine24t Posts: 6,063 Member
    Options
    When a person posts a question like this, it is obvious that they are not sure if what they are doing is right, so at least you are at that point.
    Short answer is no, you are eating much too little. I calculated your basal metabolic rate for you - it is 1321 calories. That means that in daily life, your body will burn 1321 calories if you just sit on the couch and do nothing. That is how many calories your body needs to live. When you eat below that, your body has nothing to function on.
    I'm not going to go into more - everybody else has explained it pretty well. You need to speak with a nutritionist and a doctor. Your doctor may have said everything is okay. But I'm sure if you told them that you only consume 700 calories a day, they would be worried.
    I clicked on your profile and saw that you are 21. That is how old I am too. I'm sure your parents would be devastated to know about your eating habits. If you don't change for anything/anyone else, change for them.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    This is a serious post.

i never even thought there was anything wrong with how i was eating til i came on here.

This site is a mother fu**er for that. Seriously, I understand.
  • tiffanyquincey
    Options
    Instead of accusing you of having an eating disorder, I'll give you some advice about upping cals like you actually asked for.
    Slowly up your calories over the next couple weeks until you get to 1200. If I'm under on cals and not really hungry I'll have a couple tablespoons of pb with an apple, thats almost 300 cals right there. Nuts and oils, nuts and oils. I've fallen in love with olive oil. Its a great way to add healthy, clean cals without stuffing yourself.
    And to everyone saying she has an ED: from what I understand she WANTS to up her calories in a healthy way, she just doesn't want to pack on pounds in the process. Just because she is small and doesn't eat much, does not mean that she is anorexic. Her mindset doesn't seem to me to be like that of someone with an eating disorder. Just my opinion..
  • erisians
    erisians Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    It does sound like you have a nutritional deficit which can have negative health consequences. To up your calorie intake you don't necessarily have to eat crap. Maybe increase a nutritional food that you like, such as adding a handful of nuts, avocado, boiled egg, muesli bars, wholegrain breads/biscuits etc. You could also try to find a supplement drink/shake that you like. Drinking a couple of Sustagens (or similar supplement drink) a day in addition to your current diet is a fairly easy way to up your intake. You could also try adding dips/sauces to your veges (ie. hummus, tzatziki, one of those pesto/nut combos).
  • wanttogetskinny
    Options

Can you tell me the source / study which supports that everyone needs 1,200 - 1,500 calories per day to support brain function alone? I would be happy to consider it but this doesn't sound right to me. I think you are getting confused with BMR. Incidentally, on a quick calculation the OP's BMR is actually around the 1,200 calorie level. BMR is the main component of TDEE (the amount of daily calories you need to maintain itself) and reflects your energy needs to power basic functions. BMR makes up about 70% of TDEE in most circumstances. Of BMR, brain function takes up about 20%. So, 20% of her BMR of 1,200 is 240 calories.

Sure can. My college psychology professor, my college psych textbooks, my university science texts, and my best friend who is a psychiatrist who treats ED's on a daily basis.

Also, if you think about it, it will make sense. Evolution designed us to have smaller waistlines, but larger brains...and yet we evolved into needing meat (protein) and high calorie and high-carb foods to support the higher brain functions.

If she wants the pea-sized brain of a deer, then hey, all the more to her. I'm just saying that with the amount she works out and with a lack of protein and carbs, her body is going to eat away at her brain and she's going to end up with little to no brain function in her old age...if she makes it that far. Without proper protein intake, the body eats away at it's own muscle including the heart and the brain, so unless she gets to a nutritionist who will put her on the right path...well...I'm going to leave that up for interpretation.

If you stand by your stance that you need 1200 JUST for brain function......can I ask how many you consume in a day? How many calories do you have to add to that 1200 to support your circulatory system? Your muscles? Your endocrine system? Your digestive system?..................seems like if we go by your stance, humans would need thousands and thousands a day.
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    Higher calorie raw foods: nuts & seeds, avocado, coconut, dates & bananas all come to mind. Sashimi would be nice to add, if you're so inclined, although I do believe I saw you avoid meat.

If you continue your current exercise and up your intake by 100 calories every week or so until you reach a more appropriate level, your body should have time to adjust to the increased intake without the gain you're concerned about. Truly, while you may feel satiated on the volume of food you're currently eating, it is unlikely at best that your body is getting the full amount of vitamins & minerals it needs, much less the fuel it wants. I hope you're able to find a balance. :flowerforyou:
  • bloodbank
    bloodbank Posts: 468 Member
    Options

If you stand by your stance that you need 1200 JUST for brain function......can I ask how many you consume in a day? How many calories do you have to add to that 1200 to support your circulatory system? Your muscles? Your endocrine system? Your digestive system?..................seems like if we go by your stance, humans would need thousands and thousands a day.

I do believe the brain requires 120 grams of glucose per day. I'm too lazy at the moment, but I'm sure dr. google can back that up.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options

While I'm a little confused as to why I'm the one being interrogated here, I'll humour this.

The human body evolved so that the body itself does NOT need too many calories to function unless there is a sincere increase in muscle, in which case, THAT needs more calories as well. For example, as a college student, I only need between 1400-1600 cals per day. My fiance, on the other hand, is a fitness buff and needs to be physically fit for his job...but he only needs about 2000 per day. This is only a 500 calorie difference in total, which goes to show what the body alone can cope with.

We evolved to be runners - running a ridiculous amount to catch prey, but at the same time, that prey would have been large, such as gazelle-ish creatures. When the brain got to the size it is now, our ancestors had to start farming animals or start hunting LARGE predators to feed their families. They needed larger animals to support the larger amount of calories that it needed to use the brain.

Here's another way of looking at it - a chimpanzee can survive on very little protein (termites or other chimpanzees from rival groups) and they mostly live on plants. Their brains are 1/4 of what ours is, which means that they only need 1/4 of the calories. Meanwhile, look at how much they move. About as much as, say, I would on a daily basis. Which isn't much. Maybe running once in a while to catch something, or to migrate, but they really don't eat much because their brains aren't demanding it of them.

(You can believe in evolution or not, this is just a comparison between similar creatures to prove a point)

Humans NEED the calories for their brains, but not much for the rest of the body to function. It's a beautiful system, really. Most of our calories go to our brains, where the rest is divided up between all of the systems you mentioned, and more (like the sodium/potassium synapse or the movement of calcium in and out of our bones depending on what the body requires) It's very efficient, if given the proper nutrients.

At the same time, it depends on the activity level of the person. If there is a lot of muscle on someone, they need more calories just to feed that muscle.

Summary - if we realize and accept the premise that the body requires a minimum of 1200 calories per day (personally, I say 1500, but that's just my personal opinion) and that it requires nutrients such as carbohydrates and protein, then this active female SHOULD be eating a MINIMUM of 1500 per day. MINIMUM. Again, my personal opinion is that it should be up somewhere around the 2000 mark, but that's for her nutritionist and doctor to decide.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    Alot of you are very quick to judge someone without actually knowing a whole lot about their lifestyle.

I do not have an illness, i'm actually probably healthier than most of you.
    I have regular check ups and no doctor has ever told me otherwise.
    i have been eating like this my whole life, i have also been thin my whole life!
    Both my parents eat the same way, they are very active 55 year olds and far from dead.

i love my body and my lifestyle.
    i feel like i have been attacked.

I do however appriciate all of you who private messaged me with some great advice that i will definitely be taking into account.

:o) what have you decided to do?
  • Roszepoo
    Roszepoo Posts: 46
    Options
    Starvation mode is not an opinion-it is a medical fact. I did not understand this until I took anatomy and physiology as a college course. Under 1200 is starvation mode. Look it up. This is in reply to the person who said that starvation mode was stretching things for this young lady. Medically, she is in starvation mode.
  • Roszepoo
    Roszepoo Posts: 46
    Options
    Even tho you did want want the feedback you got, the fact that you got so much of it should make you take notice. While you say you do not have an eating disorder (isn't that what all people with an eating disorder say) I challenge you to see what a doctor has to say.
    All signs suggest you may, but we are not qualified to say for sure given so little info. Your pic shows a beautiful young woman who appears too thin.
    We say these things because, overall, MFP people care about each other. I do not believe anyone is trying to be mean.