Calories burned during HIIT????

Options
2»

Replies

• carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    not talking about MFP calorie burns Im talking about the calories they give you to eat.I should have elaborated on what I meant
    "even the calories MFP gives are an estimate and dont work for everyone."

Are you talking about the estimated calories they suggest to be eaten each day to lose weight?
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    carolgrn wrote: »
    sijomial wrote: »
    My goal is to "Never" eat back calories!
    Sometimes I goof and do get a few in there - But that is Not my Goal!
    When you get to maintenance you are going to have a problem!

Please explain - I thought that you should never eat back the calories you have burned - - - OH - You did say Maintenance
    MFP calorie burns are probably approximately 40-50% over stated
    For everyone? There have been Many people that have stated that to me
    For every exercise? Every exercise I have checked against my Polar is off
    You know this how exactly? Just by other mfp users statements and my own observations
    @carolgrn
    You are burning calories during exercise.
    It's really silly not to account for them in some way if you do a significant amount of exercise.
    Your calorie goal set on here expects you to eat them to keep your chosen deficit at your desired level rather than excessive.

You should be accounting for them whether losing, gaining or maintaining - it's how the tool is designed.
    The maintenance comment is to highlight to you that one day you will have to account for them (otherwise you will continue to lose....) so why not learn the skill now?

The "MFP exercise estimates are 50% over-stated" is just group think based on feelz not science or measurement.
    Much more likely people's food logging inaccuracy is problematic but for some unknown reason people assume it's their exercise calories if they don't get expected results. Some weird guilt thing perhaps?

Yes some estimates are high, some comically high - but that doesn't condemn the whole database or the method.

• CincyNeid
    CincyNeid Posts: 1,249 Member
    Options

My goals is to "never" put gas back in my car. Sometimes I drive it and it tells me it's out of gas and then it won't move until I put more gas in - but that's not my goal.

THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS THIS
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    not talking about MFP calorie burns Im talking about the calories they give you to eat.I should have elaborated on what I meant
    "even the calories MFP gives are an estimate and dont work for everyone."

Are you talking about the estimated calories they suggest to be eaten each day to lose weight?

yes,what they gave me at one point was too high so I had to lower them.I wasnt losing at all.I weigh everything too.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    It's not actually true HIIT then. Unfortunately trainers just hang the HIIT label on everything these days.

My guess - 100 cals tops. (But just a guess....)

Just like the "gluten-free [product that never has gluten ever]"
  • _Waffle_
    Options
    When you get to maintenance you are going to have a problem!
    For everyone?
    For every exercise?
    You know this how exactly?

It's pretty accurate for me. I don't think it's EXACTLY correct but a good general ballpark estimate.
  • carolgrn
    carolgrn Posts: 657 Member
    Options
    @carolgrn
    It's really silly not to account for them in some way if you do a significant amount of exercise.
    Your calorie goal set on here expects you to eat them to keep your chosen deficit at your desired level rather than excessive.

You should be accounting for them whether losing, gaining or maintaining - it's how the tool is designed.
    The maintenance comment is to highlight to you that one day you will have to account for them (otherwise you will continue to lose....) so why not learn the skill now?

The "MFP exercise estimates are 50% over-stated" is just group think based on feelz not science or measurement.
    Much more likely people's food logging inaccuracy is problematic but for some unknown reason people assume it's their exercise calories if they don't get expected results. Some weird guilt thing perhaps?

Yes some estimates are high, some comically high - but that doesn't condemn the whole database or the method.

I do keep track of my calories burned from exercise, but I am working to Lose weight - that's why I state I do not eat back calories
    I understand once I ever get to a maintaining point I will have to watch that better.
    Thank you
  • CindyFooWho
    CindyFooWho Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Use "circuit training - general," eat back about half-75%, then call it a day. None of this is exact.
  • _Waffle_
    edited June 2016
    Options
    @carolgrn

I do keep track of my calories burned from exercise, but I am working to Lose weight - that's why I state I do not eat back calories
    I understand once I ever get to a maintaining point I will have to watch that better.
    Thank you

MFP already gives you a calorie deficit needed to lose weight. I'm trying to drop a few right now and I eat back my exercise calories.

Exercise calories = fuel for better health.
    Weight loss calories = a slight reduction for losing weight. (500 per day)

What are you goals? If you simply want to lose weight then sure. Drop the hell out of those calories. If you want to get into better shape and be healthy, then eat back some exercise calories so you can keep exercising.

This is just my advice of course. At the end of the day you can do
    whatever the F*** you wanna do.

#hodgetwins
  • angpowers
    angpowers Posts: 83 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Use "circuit training - general," eat back about half-75%, then call it a day. None of this is exact.

^^ I'm with CindyFooWho
    I DO EAT back my cals -- but I only claim 50%-75% of them.

Its rewarding to work hard, burn cals and enjoy food items.

I would totally claim that as circuit training and claim a portion. Then if hungry, eat those cals.

Main idea? Move.
    Even if you're dying during/after the workout - claim cals appropriately - you don't burn as many as you might think. It's easier to eat 100cals less than to burn 100cals more.
    But after you workout, if you need them throughout the day, eat those cals if you're hungry. :)
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    For everyone?
    For every exercise?
    You know this how exactly?

1) For Everyone? I'd say not for everyone. You're going to have to judge this for yourself. It is going to depend on how hard you work, or how hard you push yourself. Base it on HR if you want it to be more accurate.
    2) For every exercise? I'd say refer to #1. It's going to vary for everyone. You'll need to judge this over time for yourself. It's going to depend on how hard you push yourself, what you weigh, and how high you get your HR.
    3) You know this how exactly? I dunno about the poster that posted this, it might be right for them, but for me it's not nearly that inflated. Now that I'm at a normal BMI I'd say they are inflated maybe 10% on MFP, and maybe 20% on the app I use called Endomondo. Sometimes less. On my Bowflex M5 it's inflated maybe 30%, but then again that's me, not everyone.

The best way is to judge it for yourself. Pick an app you like and stick to it. Set your base calories without exercise calculated in at MFP, then allow yourself to eat back 70% of the exercise calories on top of what MFP sets you. After two weeks to a month if you're gaining weight or not losing weight at the rate you expected, stop eating back 70% and try eating back 50%. Or vice versa, if you're losing faster than 2lb a week, eat back a tad more. After a few months you'll get the hang of it as long as you don't switch apps constantly (they are all different), and use a good HR strap to calculate burns. I believe my Polar H7 is about 80-90% accurate for me with my Endomondo app. Heck, I've been at maintenance for a few months and am still losing weight so it may even be more accurate at my current BMI than I expected. My point is you're going to have to figure this out based on your own experience. 30% over-inflated estimates are a good place to start though in my opinion. Adjust from there. Mine may simply be more accurate because I push myself to my maximum effort every time. I try each time to do more and work harder (I'm somewhat addicted to it by now lol). I set goals for the time I have and do my best to exceed them. I don't always make it, and I've even pushed myself too hard and had to take an extra rest day, but you get the idea. Max effort means the calorie burns are more accurate for me.