Birth Control Disaster

Options
New here but wanted to know.... Are there any woman having trouble loosing weight due to birthcontrol? And how are you over coming this problem. My last Depo shot was March and i am not renewing it. I was breastfeeding up until March i guess thats what kept my weight more in control bit I have gained 10lbs since March and feeling bloated. My moods are all over the place.

I HAVE NOT gotten hungrier since being on it (1year) And keep my calorie intake under 1,00-900 calories. I also consume herbalife just to assure my intake. But the scale goes UP! What gives!!!! I walk/jog 45min 3/4 times a week and have an active job (pharmacy)

Please help if anyone cam!

Replies

• LeahP527
    LeahP527 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    My doctor told me to never ever let anyone give me the depo shot. I have heard a lot of other people say they gained weight while on the depo shot. I would try a different form of birth control.
  • jordyngiulio
    jordyngiulio Posts: 157 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of women who are on the depo shot, love it and don't have any issues losing weight while using it. That being said, my doctor also told me she wouldn't recommend the shot to me specifically because she has seen it impact weight loss and given that I was already on the journey, she suggested other methods.

If you're already planning not to renew it, I say just stay on track and see what happens after you're complete off it. There are a lot of other bc options out there, sometimes it's just trial and error finding the right one.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    I lost all my weight on depo

Yes it could cause increased appetite that could lead to weight gain
    But it's still up to you if you eat at a surplus or not.
    The depo alone won't cause the weight gain, it takes a caloric surplus.
    Eat at a surplus - gain weight
    Eat at a deficit and lose weight.

I enjoyed having talks with my obgyn about this because it seems that some believe the BC alone causes weight gain but don't understand that it still takes a caloric surplus. Some are just not well I informed others use it as an excuse.

If the depo isn't working well for you then switch to another method. But remember, it comes down to calories. Yes the BC may increase your appetite but it's up to if you eat more or not.
  • zoeysasha37
    zoeysasha37 Posts: 7,089 Member
    Options
    Also how are you calculating your calories consumed daily? What are your stats?
    Do you believe that using multi level marketing products means you'll lose weight or even maintain your weight?
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    I've been on depo since February. I've lost over 20 lbs since then. I would probably have lost more but I lowered my deficit to 1/2lb per week.
  • lamilli09
    lamilli09 Posts: 354 Member
    Options
    I didn't notice the weight gained with the Depo Shot... until I went off and lost 10 pounds like I was going for a walk. Also, don't miss those mood swings :)