Where to start? 250lbs and LOST

Options
Hello! I have been struggling with my weight for almost a decade now! I was always pretty average, weight wise, growing up and didn't have any real issues until after being diagnosed with PCOS and having my son in 2006. I grew up in a home where we had very bad eating habits and poor nutrition. I can't remember really eating at a dinner table or many nutritious meals growing up. I remember McDonalds a lot and cans of spaghettiOs. Actually, my parents still do not use a dinner table lol But, that is not an excuse to let myself go for this long.

I am 35 years old and I have 3 children 12, 9, and 1 and a fiancé that loves me thick or thin. I work a full time job and taxi service for my children after lol. I rarely get time for myself. When I do finally sit down, I usually SNACK on junk food and watch tv and nod out during.

I am at my biggest I've been in my entire life. I'm 5'3" and 254lbs. I have tried so many diet techniques and miserably failed. I try and try again. I lose some and gain double. The best I ever did was counting calories and I lost 50lbs. But I gained it all back. I want desperately to finally change my life and get ME back before it's too late! I am miserable and most often will not go places because I'm uncomfortable or embarrassed. I want to be a better mom and play with my children. I want to be more attractive to my fiancé. I want to lead by example. I want to not get winded taking 5 steps or getting up and down. I want to NOT feel like a can of busted biscuits!!!

I just don't know where to start. I'm ready, I just cant seem to find my willpower and change my habits!!!

So, Please share your advice and success stories. Even the painful truth, I can take it! I'm desperate for advice!!

Thanks for taking time out to get to know me!

Sincerely,
Tonya

Replies

• Godsgirl42
    Godsgirl42 Posts: 3,490 Member
    Options
    I'm proud of you for starting!!! I have 125 lbs to lose. We have a group that offers encouragement, accountability, and weekly challenges. If you're interested in joining, send me a private message. Good luck to you!!
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I've posted this before but it's solid advice and always worth repeating:

This is going to take time. A. LOT. Of. Time. You will get frustrated. You will want to quit. You will feel depressed from time to time. Some of those times will even been on the weeks when you make progress. Here's the thing: DO NOT QUIT!!!! The sweat, the pain, the tears, all of it will be worth it, and sometimes it will be as simple as dropping a single pant size which makes you feel like the king/queen of the world.

Weigh your food. This is far more important than weighing yourself. We often come on here and have the best intentions of logging everything accurately, but often we have no idea how much 2 oz. of pasta really is (it's depressingly little), so we put 2 oz when we just ate 7. I am proud of the weight I've lost, but if I want to continue losing I have to be certain the food I'm taking in is really the correct amount or I am sabotaging myself.

Be honest. Log everything, even the stuff you are embarrassed about. The only one you'd be lying to is yourself if you conveniently "forget" to log the half-bag of potato chips. You will look back and wonder why you aren't losing as you should. It's okay to have bad days, and okay to have good days. Sometimes your victories will be on the scale, other days they'll be non-scale victories. Just be honest with yourself.

This journey is about making progress, not being perfect. DO NOT QUIT and you will see rewards.

I wish you the best of luck!
  • 1skholloway
    1skholloway Posts: 341 Member
    Options
    Hi Tonya and welcome to MFP! Congratulations on making the decision to get healthier. You are on the right track. You are on a life long journey and it begins with one step. Just keep taking one step forward. You will fall. You will have set backs. You will get discouraged. When those things happen, take a breath, forgive yourself, get up, and take a step forward. Learn to show yourself grace.

I have battled my weight all of my life! I lost over 100 pounds a few years ago and then I gained most of it back so here I am again, determined this time that I WILL make a permanent lifestyle change. I'm a food addict and an all or nothing person. When I am "on" I can do so well but when I am "off," I eat like there is no tomorrow.

This time on MFP, I have joined some groups that offer support and encouragement. I have also added friends on MFP and we support and encourage one another. These things help! So far, I have lost 63 pounds since Jan. 6, 2016. I am 12 pounds from my goal.

I also found an eating plan that works for me. For me, that is eating a balanced, low carb diet and counting calories. Because I am a food addict who loves sweets I have given up sugar and diet soda. I work out at least 3 times a week. I joined Planet Fitness and I work out to videos at home when I don't feel like going to the gym or I walk outdoors. Leslie Sansone is one of my favorite exercise gurus to workout with. Her videos are available on youtube. My local library also has videos I can check out to see if I like them before I buy them. I bought a Fitbit Charge HR and it motivates me to move more.

I don't look at this as a diet but a lifestyle change. I can't do this for a little while and go back to the way I used to live. I feel better, look better, and am healthier.

I wish you much success on your journey! You can do this!!!
  • Ready4change913
    Ready4change913 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Thank You all for the encouragement and advice! I appreciate everything and I definitely can use it!!
  • newereveryday
    newereveryday Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    Every day is is a fresh start. If you just keep at it, you'll get there eventually.

One of my favorite motivational quotes is "Losing weight is hard. Being overweight is hard. Choose your hard."
  • sayingyes2success
    sayingyes2success Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    You've already started just by posting your message and reaching out. Congrats on that! First of all, you CAN do this, but it will not be easy. Portion control is very important, what someone said about weighing and measuring your food is a great tip. I like to use a salad plate for my meals, makes it look like there is more food and tricks my mind. Eat slowly and not while watching TV or doing something else. Drink water, lots of water. And yes, log it all. The good, the bad. Then you can really get a clear picture of what you are taking it. If it's difficult for you to exercise, walk, even if that means a few extra steps through your hall. You start out with small goals and work your way up. Feel free to friend me, I'd love to support you on your journey!
  • darylarden
    darylarden Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Hello! I have been struggling with my weight for almost a decade now! I was always pretty average, weight wise, growing up and didn't have any real issues until after being diagnosed with PCOS and having my son in 2006. I grew up in a home where we had very bad eating habits and poor nutrition. I can't remember really eating at a dinner table or many nutritious meals growing up. I remember McDonalds a lot and cans of spaghettiOs. Actually, my parents still do not use a dinner table lol But, that is not an excuse to let myself go for this long.

I am 35 years old and I have 3 children 12, 9, and 1 and a fiancé that loves me thick or thin. I work a full time job and taxi service for my children after lol. I rarely get time for myself. When I do finally sit down, I usually SNACK on junk food and watch tv and nod out during.

I am at my biggest I've been in my entire life. I'm 5'3" and 254lbs. I have tried so many diet techniques and miserably failed. I try and try again. I lose some and gain double. The best I ever did was counting calories and I lost 50lbs. But I gained it all back. I want desperately to finally change my life and get ME back before it's too late! I am miserable and most often will not go places because I'm uncomfortable or embarrassed. I want to be a better mom and play with my children. I want to be more attractive to my fiancé. I want to lead by example. I want to not get winded taking 5 steps or getting up and down. I want to NOT feel like a can of busted biscuits!!!

I just don't know where to start. I'm ready, I just cant seem to find my willpower and change my habits!!!

So, Please share your advice and success stories. Even the painful truth, I can take it! I'm desperate for advice!!

Thanks for taking time out to get to know me!

Sincerely,
    Tonya

Hang in there girl !!!
  • chimonetabron2014
    chimonetabron2014 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    You can do it!!! It is hard & takes a lot of time & effort but start small & grow. Honestly, I would NEVER keep up with any weight loss plan. I would start one week & the next I would pig out or stop my routine. But I started walking on my breaks at wrk & progressed from there. Every bit counts! Dnt feel discouraged! Good luck!