Walking vs gym

Options
I've been tracking my calories and eating better for almost a month now. My next goal is to start being more active. Should I start by walking or just start going to the gym right Away? Is one better than the other? Suggestions please

Replies

• astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Do both...Walking is what humans do, go to the gym to add a bit extra.....
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    It depends on what you want from a fitness standpoint...walking is great activity and a great way to get started but it has a pretty low ceiling in terms of improving your overall fitness. You'll ultimately need to do something more intense if you really want to improve on your fitness...and personally, I wouldn't do that in a gym...there's plenty you can do in the great outdoors.

Personally, I only use the gym to lift...I primarily cycle for my cardiovascular training and do so primarily outdoors.
  • azulvioleta6
    azulvioleta6 Posts: 4,195 Member
    Options
    Do both, but it probably does not matter where you start.

Personally, I find that I cannot maintain or lose weight without lifting weights, but YMMV. Walking is necessary for general cardiovascular health, so do that too!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    Both are important.

http://blog.myfitnesspal.com/many-daily-steps-really-need-better-health​/

... the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention doesn’t have a step recommendation; instead it recommends that adults get 150 minutes of moderate exercise like brisk walking or 75 minutes of vigorous activity like running per week. For anyone counting, that works out to anywhere from 3,500–8,000 steps per day.

And, no matter how much aerobic activity you get, the CDC still recommends getting at least two hours of strength exercise per week. That raises an important point: Dumbbells lifted don’t count toward your step count, but they make huge improvements to your overall health, Neides says.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    It's all a matter of personal preference. I personally can't stand going to a gym. I have free use of one in my apartment complex but I've only been a handful of times. I walk in my apartment where I can blast music or walk along to a TV show. When I go to a gym I feel like I'm constantly watching the clock. I'm much more likely to exercise in my apartment than go to a gym.
  • heatherheyns
    heatherheyns Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. For some, going to a gym works best. For others, walking around their neighborhood is something they stick with. So, try both if you can and see what fits best into your life. I do both, I walk for my daily step count and I go to the gym for more intense exercise.
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    You should do whatever you are the most comfortable with. When I was 1st losing weight back in the 90s (!!!), I lost 20 lbs simply by walking. I started going to the gym after that, because winter was coming and I don't do cold :)
  • ElJefePerron
    ElJefePerron Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Whatever works for you. For some, going to a gym works best. For others, walking around their neighborhood is something they stick with. So, try both if you can and see what fits best into your life. I do both, I walk for my daily step count and I go to the gym for more intense exercise.

This! Summer is around the corner so walking can be great! Nothing like vitamin sun to recharge the soul.

Gyms are great for strength based activities and on rainy days.

• trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Whichever you will be consistent with. One thing to consider is that walking is free.
  • Carpercia
    Carpercia Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Walk and then slowly move into couch 25K!
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    start with a routine you can build on. For me this was getting up early (ie rather than pressing snooze or checking social media I just got up) and walking to the park, once round the park, then home. I did this daily. Then I looked into couch to 5k and added walk/runs into the mix. This morning I did a 30 minute run, which was made all the more achy by the 5miles off-road trail I did Sunday. I'm signed up for more trail runs as that's what works for me. I still favour walks with friends along coastal paths etc.

All that time I did the walking, I also had a gym membership. I started my running programme on the treadmill until the mornings got lighter and I went outside. I intend to go back to the gym for weights soon (I'm training for a race so running is taking precedence).

That's what works for me - I also cycle, swim, and go swing dancing. The gym is an add-on. It helps me when the weather is bad and provides weights when I want to lift weights. Ultimately the gym will help me get fitter and stronger to allow me to be a better runner/cycler/swimmer/dancer. Classes aren't my thing.

one other thing with walking over the gym that others have mentioned - you are outside, getting vitamin D, exploring the world, saying hello to other people out walking/running. You see things around you and it can be an excellent stress reliever. Go walking, go to the gym when you want to push yourself in a different way
  • Jeyradan
    Jeyradan Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    It depends on your personal circumstances! Are you comfortable training around others, or do you prefer to do it alone (my partner, for instance, doesn't like to be watched)? Do you need accountability, or are you very self-motivated? Do you enjoy the kinds of exercise or the classes offered by your local gym? Can you afford their membership fees month-to-month?

Personally, I don't use a gym because I can't afford one - but I know for a fact that I do better with accountability, so committing to something outside the house is more effective for me than just promising myself I'll work out. For myself, I found a lower-cost alternative (in my case, a local aikido class that lets me train up to six hours a week for half the cost of a gym) that still offers a learning curve and seeing other people (both of which mean I'm held accountable for keeping going; if I don't, I won't progress fast enough to keep up, and people will notice if I'm not there).

I also walk a lot, though, and I find it enjoyable for reasons beyond simply the exercise value (like fun, fresh air, discovering new things, and it's a free way to get from place to place!), which might help to motivate you. Cycling can be a lot of fun for the same reasons, if you have a bicycle and safe conditions under which to ride.

If you want to do strength training or cardio, but the gym isn't appealing for whatever reason (cost, timing, other people), you could try an exercise podcast, a book (another poster on the forum recommended "You Are Your Own Gym" to me), or a workout app on your phone (I use Sworkit and do three half-hour strength training sessions a week, plus random 5- to 15-minute workouts whenever I feel like it or want to earn back a few extra calories).

Hope that helps!
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Walking is something that can be done any time so it would be a great start. :smile: For me personally I don't want to spend the time travelling to and from a gym (it would be a 60 min round trip for me) so I spend that 60 mins walking/running and have done for the last 4 years and will continue to do so :smiley:
    Being consistent is key to any activity :smile:
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    The best advice I received is to find something I enjoy. If it feels like a chore, then there's no way you'll stick it out for any amount of time and, as RunRutheeRun said, being consistent truly is the key.
  • whitneyb0421
    whitneyb0421 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Wow thanks guys!!! Great advice on here I'm going to just try both out and see which one I enjoy more. I really don't want to pay for a gym I was thinking maybe workout DVDs or YouTube stations and walking too maybe 30 minutes of both? I will try it out and try to make it fun
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Youtube is great for all sorts of workouts you can do at home, try Jessica Smith/ Fitness Blender/ Hasfit :smile:
  • UncaToddly
    UncaToddly Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I used to belong to Gold's Gym when they put up a brand new onein the area and worked out a deal with work for memberships through payroll deduction. I got into a good routine and kind of enjoyed it but mostly for the things that didn't really help, like the hottubs and lazy pool. It was great for the weight training though with loads of equipment I would never have at home.

The downside, was that when I was doing the treadmill it was too easy to just stop. When I started working on my weight again after getting up to 387 I thought I would join Planet Fitness to start because it would be easy to just jump in and get on the treadmill and if my knees or back couldn't handle it I could just stop, get in the car an go home. I have yet to do so.

I started doing walks around the neighborhood/city and have found that I enjoy that much more. The scenery is better and feels like less of a chore. While I can always decide to not go any farther, I am still committed to having to walk from where I am back to where I started LOL.

One of the things I have really enjoyed is when my wife and I go out to eat or go to the store or whatever, I will often walk home instead of taking the 3, 4 or 5 mile ride home. Varying the route has helped a lot with it because the scenery is different and you see different things that you don't really see at 25-50 miles perhour in a car. :)
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    Options
    Whatever you'll do. Walking is great. It's my main exercise. The gym has lots of equipment that you wouldn't have at home so you can branch out with your routine, but you don't necessarily need that much variety if you don't want it. If you want to improve strength and stability, you can do it with dumbells and bodyweight exercises at home, though how far you can go with it might be limited.

It's all about what your goals are and how much you want to commit. Until you're sure what you want, keep walking. :)