Calorie Intake for 4'9" woman

Options
Because I am so short, I reduced my calorie intake to 900 calories so that I can loose weight. I am 61 years young and walk about 4 miles every single day. Are there any other shorties our there that have had to reduce their calories because we are under 5'? I am loosing an average of 1 pound per week at this rate.

Replies

• SheilaSisco
    SheilaSisco Posts: 722 Member
    Options
    I am 4'11" and I am losing just fine (between 1 and 2 pounds a week consistently) eating between 1200 and 1300 calories a day. It really isn't safe to eat less than that unless you are under medical supervision... You can't get the proper nutrition eating so little. If you've been told to do this by a doctor, I apologize for saying anything.... but if you aren't, I strongly suggest you eat more. I hate to think of people damaging themselves by eating too little...
  • ShortySilly16
    Options
    I'm 4'10" I've heard that short people burn more calories then taller people sense we have to take more steps. I am doing 1,200 cal. though I am very new, perhaps I should limit mine more.
  • karamille
    karamille Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    Wow that seems low. Is that total or your adjusted calories with eating back your excercise calories. I'm short too - 5' even and I consume 1400 calories a day. regardless of how much I burn in excercise. You may find that you stall out pretty quickly after initial loss because of going into starvation mode. Just be prepaired that may happen.

I always like to think of it as not putting all your cards on the table at once. Eat as many calories as you can while still losing. That way when you platueau, you still have somewhere to go. When I finally do plateau, I'll cut my calories lower. But if you start out at bare bones intake, what you going to do when 6 months from now when your body is smaller and has adjusted to your intake?
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Hi, My name is Susie and I'm 5'1. Lately I've been trying to stay just below 1200 because of my height and current weight even though I set my goals to be 1350. Like you, I am losing very slowly. I've lost 20 pounds but it took me 95 days. You walk 4 miles every day.. well that's fabulous! I'm surprised your not losing more weight since you walk so much! I do the Leslie Sansone walk at home DVD and walk 2 miles, sometimes 3. It's coming off but slowly. Please keep me informed as to how you are doing. I'll send you a friend request. I hope you accept it. Have a great day!! :flowerforyou:
  • SharonLynnFischer
    SharonLynnFischer Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi SusanM

I could sure use a fitness buddy. I want to stay on track and am finding that even at 900 calories I have reached my first plateau. Have you had the same experience? If so, what did you do to move forward?