Tracking My Progress in Race Photos

Options
kathakraz
kathakraz Posts: 65 Member
Hi Everyone!

I suddenly felt like sharing my weight loss progress, so here I am. Last year, I trained for and ran a half marathon. Doing so was truly life changing. I now believe I can do anything because I did that. It wasn't the race itself that gave me that. It was the discipline to follow a training plan and run through the summer, when I least enjoy running, that demonstrated I could have goals and follow through with them. Let's not talk about how it took me 35 years to figure this out.

While I always thought it would be nice to lose weight, I never really did anything about it. I'd watch my mother follow Slim Fast, Deal A Meal, Atkins, and a bunch of other diet and fitness routines throughout my childhood. I'd watched her have weight loss surgery, get very thin, and then gain a bunch of weight back over the past 15 years. I wanted no part of this madness. The few times I had gone down in weight rather than slowly up were driven mainly by changes in circumstance (more active when I moved to a city, more active when I initially took up running) rather than a deliberate effort on my part. The running didn't help with the weight loss for long given that I had no interest in eating less food and tons of interest in cultivating a love of high alcohol craft beer.

So, after my half and then a vacation filled with great excess, I decided it was time to reign myself in. My main motivation for doing so was to be a faster runner in the laziest way possible. More training miles? Nah! Just drop some weight. And I did! And I'm faster!

I started tracking my weight and my food in October 2015. My starting weight was 230. I am currently hovering at about 175 (I'm 5'7). I'll probably stay there for a while because I increased my calories to what seems to be a maintenance level (hard to tell exactly since it's only been about 2 weeks here) for the month of June because I have a difficult race coming up this weekend and I want to be at my best. Plus, it was time to take a break. I can tell because I was getting lax about going over my calorie goals more often than usual. I don't have an ultimate goal weight because I have no idea what a normal weight looks like on me. I'm doing this in small steps (under 200, then out of obese range). The next mini-goal will be to reach a normal BMI.

So, running races is my main hobby. I race pretty much every weekend. Most photos of me are race photos, anyway, so it seemed like a good way to demonstrate my progress.

gg4l6kx2wt0i.jpg

I was 220lbs in the first photo, 198 in the second, and 182lbs in the third.

Also, I want to thank all of you who post on the message boards. I'm not an active poster, but I am an active reader. I have learned so much from many of you.

Replies

• snowkc
    snowkc Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Congrats! What a cool way to display your progress!
  • cahf
    cahf Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I LOVE your post! I love your approach and you have made really clear progress - you look great!
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    I love threads like this! Thank you.
  • lulukittie
    lulukittie Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Congratulations on your hard work! I'm also a runner w/ very similar starting stats, but a long way to go.
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! Thanks for posting this. You and I have a very similar story. My highest weight was 223 back in January this year, currently 214 (I'm 5'3"). I've been running as a hobby for a couple of years, but want to run a half-marathon. You have inspired me, and I love your idea of using race pics for progress :) I love your comment about getting faster in the laziest way possible too! You inspired me to run this evening (was going to be a rest day).
  • mbaker566
    mbaker566 Posts: 11,233 Member
    Options
    nice idea and nicely done
  • BruinsGal_91
    BruinsGal_91 Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    Dang! How come everyone else looks either super-happy or really cool in their running pics, but I look as if I'm about to die? Not fair.
  • kathakraz
    Options
    acbraswell wrote: »
    Congratulations! Thanks for posting this. You and I have a very similar story. My highest weight was 223 back in January this year, currently 214 (I'm 5'3"). I've been running as a hobby for a couple of years, but want to run a half-marathon. You have inspired me, and I love your idea of using race pics for progress :) I love your comment about getting faster in the laziest way possible too! You inspired me to run this evening (was going to be a rest day).

Thank you, and great job with your loss! Your running this evening inspired me to go to the gym instead of slacking off!

Honestly, the lazy way of getting faster was probably the only one that would work for me. I don't think I'll ever be a high-mileage runner or one who does a lot of speed workouts (although, you never know).
  • kathakraz
    Options
    Thanks, all! I have the bare-belly-in-the-bathroom-mirror comparison selfies, too, but I think the running photos were definitely the better choice for me. :smiley:
  • kathakraz
    Options
    You look fantastic. I also go by race photos and this is my most recent. In the first picture I'm completing a 5k, and in the second I'm finishing a 10k in my best time for years. I'm running again after four years off with various injuries (none of them running related) and I'm hoping to build back up to a half-marathon. Not run one since 2011.
    xskx6gkppx6m.jpeg

Awesome job (both the race and the weight loss)! You look great! Good luck with the training and remaining injury free going forward!

I've only done the one half so far and am taking it relatively easy this year to work on running more distances between 5-10 miles while incorporating strength training, which I had not really done much of before. I owe adding strength training to my life to MFP posters, too.
  • kathakraz
    Options
    Fantastic Progress. I love the idea of doing through race photos....

Here are my fore and aft pictures....

s7bmnyat3lty.jpg
    q7jmlm4ubtiy.jpg

Wow, great job! And that Color Me Rad photo is pretty epic.
  • kathakraz
    Options
    Dang! How come everyone else looks either super-happy or really cool in their running pics, but I look as if I'm about to die? Not fair.

LOL I have enough photos that I can be pretty selective about which ones to post. I have one from this weekend, but I looked pretty doofy so I left it out.

You look like you're finishing strong!

Last June, I ran into a friend of mine at a race. We decided to do a slow walk/jog together. My reason was that it was humid, hers was that she was about ready to give birth. She's very aware of her surroundings and managed to ensure we were running and smiling as we passed every single camera on the race course. Those were the nicest, happiest race photos I have ever been in. Most of the time I have tunnel vision and am completely oblivious to cameras, which definitely makes for some truly awful photos.
  • meryl135
    meryl135 Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    AWWWWW! That is fantastic progress! Not just the OP, but all you other awesome runners. I miss running so, so much! I've got a hip injury I'm nursing right now, and trying to build up my ankle stability (same ankle that blows out at least twice per year). So far, I am "deep-water running" at the pool - which is way easier on my joints but so mind-numbingly boring!

Congrats all around :smiley:
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    I.

Love.

This.

Thread.

So.

Much.

Well done all you inspirational runners!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    This thread is so wonderful for me. It truly is inspiring to achieve my own running goals. Thank you so much OP for not only sharing your wonderful successes, but for clearly inspiring others to acknowledge their accomplishments and goals.

As someone that typically enjoys weight lifting, I was terrified when a friend and coworker came to me and asked to help with our school's running club. I had run in the past, but not for joy. It was just a tool to weight loss.

Fast forward six months and I'm completely in love. I currently am training for a half marathon after deciding I could do it. I was signed up for a 10k this past weekend, but circumstances caused me to miss it. Next 5k race is July 4th!

wcpc72x5qli1.jpeg

This was about 4K in during my first 5k in which we got to run through the Packer's Lambeau Field. It was awesome to say the least.
  • TravisJHunt
    TravisJHunt Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    Congrats everyone! Awesome work!
  • Heartlight441
    Heartlight441 Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Wow so awesome, all of you! I'm currently in week 5 of a C25K which I've been doing at a slow pace (repeating lots as needed). I have my first 5K race this summer! :)
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    B)
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!