Using my future calorie maintenence to lose weight?

Options
Would this work?

I was thinking that if I work out what my maintenance calorie intake would be of my goal weight, then start eating that calorie intake now, that I would loose weight until my goal then stop there.

Replies

• LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    sounds complicated? why not just plug in your stats to MFP and let it tell you how many calories you need to stay within to lose?
  • tiffanylacourse
    tiffanylacourse Posts: 2,985 Member
    Options
    sounds complicated? why not just plug in your stats to MFP and let it tell you how many calories you need to stay within to lose?

^ Yup.
  • samwiserabbit
    samwiserabbit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    It's a cool idea, I've considered it myself. It would take a really long time, though. Mathematically speaking, if you could know exactly what your maintenance TDEE is (you can't) and eat exactly that every day (you can't possibly be that precise) it would take (literally) forever. (I mean both "literally" and "forever" literally there.) You'd approach your goal weight asymptotically.
    The closer you got to your goal, the closer your intake would get to maintenance, and the slower your loss would be.

Maybe it's better to figure out what your TDEE will be at goal and aim for a couple hundred calories less than that. It'll still be slow toward the end, and it'll still require really precise logging, but at least it would make it mathematically feasible to reach your goal.

But, as has been pointed out to me recently on these boards, take my input with a grain of salt. I'm not a veteran of many years of logging. I can only speak to the math and science of your question.
  • DWBalboa
    DWBalboa Posts: 37,255 Member
    Options
    Your intake while trying to lose weight will be less than what you will need to maintain. Hence the calorie deficit that is built in when you enter your data.
    Example: For me to lose one pound a week with my current data (i.e. weight, activity level, work, etc.), I need to have an intake of 1500 calories, to lose Zero or maintain my current weight, I should eat around 2000. So if I was to go at my maintenance intake I would not lose weight and stay at my current weight.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Nope it's not complicated but your goal weight / target weight is probably an estimate as are your eventual maintenance calories. It's a legitimate technique that gives you an automatically reducing deficit the closer you get to goal weight.
    Wish I had heard of the concept before I lost my weight!

It's the thinking behind the book "The Lean Muscle Diet" (horrible title but fascinating book) by Lou Schuler (New Rules of Lifting guy) and Alan Aragon.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    DWBalboa wrote: »
    Your intake while trying to lose weight will be less than what you will need to maintain. Hence the calorie deficit that is built in when you enter your data.
    Example: For me to lose one pound a week with my current data (i.e. weight, activity level, work, etc.), I need to have an intake of 1500 calories, to lose Zero or maintain my current weight, I should eat around 2000. So if I was to go at my maintenance intake I would not lose weight and stay at my current weight.

She understands that she needs a deficit. She's suggesting creating that deficit by eating at maintenance for her GOAL
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Yes, it would work but as others have said it requires a fair amount of patience.

That said if you can predict your goal weight TDEE with reasonable accuracy this method can help train you to eat at that level with relative ease (given you have been eating at that level through your weight loss phase) and therefore may make future regain less likely.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound crazy to me, but only because my activity increased while I was losing. So I ate around 1700 calories the whole time (no eating back exercise calories).. which would have been a bit under my maintenance calories now if I had kept the same activity level (which is basically sedentary).

To put it this way, my maintenance calories are higher now as an active 135 pounds 38yo woman than when I was a sedentary 213 pounds 34yo woman. So if I had used that number, I wouldn't have lost anything.
  • DWBalboa
    Options
    She is not suggesting anything, she is asking a question which is indicated by the first sentence in her post. Would this work? She goes on to state she wants to lose weight, not build muscle or tone up which could change the approach. But by all means please do show me where the system builds in a deficit at the maintenance level that would allow you to lose weight at any discernible measure. Otherwise give the young lady viable data to prove that it would work as she has asked.
    I myself have faith in the system as the system has been designed and have no need to try and out think it. Furthermore, I have seen people first hand try and out think it and fail and it has nothing to do with their activity level it’s all about CICO.
    However, whichever method you attempt I wish you all the best of luck in reaching your goals.
    V/r,
    DW
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    She is not suggesting anything, she is asking a question which is indicated by the first sentence in her post. Would this work? She goes on to state she wants to lose weight, not build muscle or tone up which could change the approach. But by all means please do show me where the system builds in a deficit at the maintenance level that would allow you to lose weight at any discernible measure. Otherwise give the young lady viable data to prove that it would work as she has asked.
    I myself have faith in the system as the system has been designed and have no need to try and out think it. Furthermore, I have seen people first hand try and out think it and fail and it has nothing to do with their activity level it’s all about CICO.
    However, whichever method you attempt I wish you all the best of luck in reaching your goals.
    V/r,
    DW

As you lose weight, your maintenance calories will decrease unless you offset it by increased activity...

Strong contradiction in last bolded sentence btw.
  • LolBroScience
    LolBroScience Posts: 4,537 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    Nope it's not complicated but your goal weight / target weight is probably an estimate as are your eventual maintenance calories. It's a legitimate technique that gives you an automatically reducing deficit the closer you get to goal weight.

It's the thinking behind the book "The Lean Muscle Diet" (horrible title but fascinating book) by Lou Schuler (New Rules of Lifting guy) and Alan Aragon.

Yup, exactly how this book is set up. It does work, assuming you get the math correct and stick with it. It can be a slow process however, depending on how small of a deficit.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »

This^

It's a great method if you have the patience. Everyone losing weight should find an estimate of maintenance calories for their future weight. Knowing this number solidifies the notion that permanent lifestyle changes will be needed to keep the weight off. You will be living your future "lifestyle" while losing weight.

Great idea!
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    Would this work?

I was thinking that if I work out what my maintenance calorie intake would be of my goal weight, then start eating that calorie intake now, that I would loose weight until my goal then stop there.

If you have a lot of weight to lose, it might make your calories unnecessarily low for your current weight and be unhealthy or so low as to cause burnout.

If you have very little to lose, it might give you too small a deficit and take forever to lose the weight.

If you don't fall into the first case at least, and this seems the easiest way for you, then sure it would work. Best of luck :)
  • caammph
    caammph Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Interestingly, I just did my calculation for maintenance based on my goal weight, and it's within 50 calories of my current intake, set to lose a pound a week!
  • DWBalboa
    Options
    V/r,
    DW

As you lose weight, your maintenance calories will decrease unless you offset it by increased activity...

Strong contradiction in last bolded sentence btw.

I would agree that your calories maintenance or otherwise will change as you lose weight. What I do not understand is if I consume at my current weight what my maintenance weight intake should be at, and given that I have properly programed all other data inputs how will weight loss occur in the first place.
    And you are correct, I left a lot of context out of the CICO statement and as put it is a contradiction. Thank you for pointing that out. Basically, the fellas that I were referring to were extremely active but because of their perspectives on their intakes they were actually putting on weight and not muscle. But they were using all kinds of logic I’m not even going to start on.
    I just know that until I used the MFP systems calculator I was working out even harder lifting, HIIT, running, several sports with minimal results. I went from around 245 to 230 in over a year’s time, once I started using the built in system I went from 229 to 180 in less than a year. I do get that everybody is different but the maintenance route to start with does not make sense to me.
    I guess I will need to look up the referenced book and give it a once through to see if that helps me to understand.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    caammph wrote: »
    Interestingly, I just did my calculation for maintenance based on my goal weight, and it's within 50 calories of my current intake, set to lose a pound a week!

A couple ideas.........

MFP's current intake is before exercise. Most TDEE calculators include exercise. Put in sedentary (if you didn't already)....that should be more of a direct comparison to MFP. Another thought, there are several calculators.....use a bunch. Get a good consensus.....even then it's an estimate.

The difference between my starting weight TDEE & my goal weight TDEE is around 200 calories. Exercise can help bridge that. My wake up call that maintenance is going to take work.
  • jlemoore
    jlemoore Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    I've tried this. For me, i wasn't hitting enough of a deficit to lose. I found I had to be really strict at ALL TIMES for my body to give up the fat.
  • amusedmonkey
    amusedmonkey Posts: 10,330 Member
    Options
    It's a valid, and even good, idea. The only problem is that your loss would slow to a crawl and you will almost never reach your goal weight. You could go for goal weight minus 150. Your loss would slow down gradually as you lose weight, which is nice and healthy, but it won't slow down enough to keep you in perpetual diet.