Anyone 55+

Options
rmullis
rmullis Posts: 2 Member
I am struggling with losing weight and have decided today I am going to get serious.

Replies

• beajherndon
    beajherndon Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I'm 58 and struggle with balance. I too need to lose weight
  • rmullis
    rmullis Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I have been watching what I am eating but it doesn't seem to help. I know age, menopause and family genes don't help. I have a husband who is tall and thin and is the most motivated person I know. Type A and is faithful about logging everything even though he doesn't need to lose any more weight. I want to be healthier but I also want to feel better about myself.
  • MsND
    MsND Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've started eating Keto and have lost 6 lbs in two weeks.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    55 here. I suggest behavior goals rather than weight goals for a sense of accomplishment. Use the SMART technique and write the goal down, evaluating weekly. Assess your progress every week, and if you did not meet your goal, brainstorm the possible causes and modify your plan.

I find this technique to be empowering and removes any sense of failure or powerlessness.

Here's a sample goal progression.
    1. Track my steps daily.
    2. Improve my step count by 10% this week.
    3. Last week was too easy; I'm bumping my daily step count by a thousand and I'm walking around the pond this weekend.
    4. Rained on the weekend. This week I'll keep my new step goal and if the weather is inclement, I'll use the treadmill instead.

Another sample goal progression.
    1. Weigh and log all my breakfasts for a week.
    2. Continue to log breakfasts; make some mason jar salads for lunch; at least three lunches this week.
    3. Log breakfasts, tired of salad, make a soup. Log breakfast and lunch.
    4. Log and weigh all meals; review diary for potential changes. Where am I weak; where am I strong?

I learned this technique from an eight week program modeled after this:

http://patienteducation.stanford.edu/programs/cdsmp.html
  • Jim_i25
    Jim_i25 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    56 here. Oh and btw ^^^^ good advice up here. I also track daily steps and it is so motivating to shift my *kitten* every day. Use gym as well and track calorie intake. It does work!
  • SonFlowerTC
    SonFlowerTC Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    Hi I'm 58! Don't feel so old, feel like 30! Trying to look trim and toned and be healthy! Add me
  • Diannemjd
    Diannemjd Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Hello, 57 here. Needing to lose 50. My dilemma is....due to digestive issues, I cannot eTc high fiber foods, my husband is diabetic and SHOULD NOT eat the foods I am allowed. Need to find a balance. Anyone have suggestions?