On a journey.... Again!

Options
P0tterMrs
P0tterMrs Posts: 8 Member
edited June 2016 in Introduce Yourself
Hi all! I'm Hayley & iv struggled with my weight since having my first child in 2006, Iv been up and down trying many different diets on the way. In 2011 I joined a local slimming group and I lost 4.5st, but soon put just short of it all back on again after I stopped following the plan! Iv decided to give calorie counting a go this time and so signed up to MFP. I'm aiming to lose around 50lb. Hopefully I won't feel too deprived, or like I'm lacking the 'nicer' foods, and hoping it also helps me to manage my portions too! I'm not in any rush to get to where I want to be, I just want to focus on doing it the right way. Im hoping with the support from here I can get there and stay there! Add me, I'm in need of the support! Thanks xx

Replies

• tberrycastle
    tberrycastle Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Hi Hayley, I can relate to your post! I've lost 50 lb. at least 6 times over in my life and find myself here again. I really think the big key is doing it ONE DAY AT A TIME! Just for today, I can pass up those foods I love (That are killing me.) I'd like to add you, but I'm not sure how to do that from here so please feel free to add me :-) And bravo for being here! the first step is sometimes the hardest.
  • P0tterMrs
    P0tterMrs Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Thankyou for your message & advice, I like the 'doing it one day at a time' bit. One mistake Iv always made is trying to focus on the bigger picture, then I have one meal out or indulge in a treat and then have in my head Iv completely blown it and then continue it for the rest of the week! Like you say taking one day at a time, if I do over indulge, to just brush it off and start again. I didn't put my weight on in one bad meal and so eating one bad meal isn't going to sabotage my whole weightloss! Yesterday I found the whole calorie counting, logging and eating a breeze. I had planned ahead and knew what I was going to be eating for each mealtime. Today, Iv felt slightly hungry, belly has growled a few times & im struggling what to do us all for tea as I haven't planed in advance! Trying to fight the urge of going for the easy options! Thanks for the add by the way! I'm hoping I can be support to you in return xx
    Hi Hayley, I can relate to your post! I've lost 50 lb. at least 6 times over in my life and find myself here again. I really think the big key is doing it ONE DAY AT A TIME! Just for today, I can pass up those foods I love (That are killing me.) I'd like to add you, but I'm not sure how to do that from here so please feel free to add me :-) And bravo for being here! the first step is sometimes the hardest.

• Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    This is going to take time. A. LOT. Of. Time. You will get frustrated. You will want to quit. You will feel depressed from time to time. Some of those times will even been on the weeks when you make progress. Here's the thing: DO NOT QUIT!!!! The sweat, the pain, the tears, all of it will be worth it, and sometimes it will be as simple as dropping a single pant size which makes you feel like the king/queen of the world.

Weigh your food. This is far more important than weighing yourself. We often come on here and have the best intentions of logging everything accurately, but often we have no idea how much 2 oz. of pasta really is (it's depressingly little), so we put 2 oz when we just ate 7. I am proud of the weight I've lost, but if I want to continue losing I have to be certain the food I'm taking in is really the correct amount or I am sabotaging myself.

Be honest. Log everything, even the stuff you are embarrassed about. The only one you'd be lying to is yourself if you conveniently "forget" to log the half-bag of potato chips. You will look back and wonder why you aren't losing as you should. It's okay to have bad days, and okay to have good days. Sometimes your victories will be on the scale, other days they'll be non-scale victories. Just be honest with yourself.

This journey is about making progress, not being perfect. DO NOT QUIT and you will see rewards.