Chinese Take Out

Options
OK, so I'm all done with classes this summer, and now am moving on to an interesting schedule. I'm a freelance music director (vocal coach, etc.), and for the month of July, I'm being hired to work at this great theatre in a little town that has nothing but a run-of-the-mill Chinese takeout style place right next to it, with a one-hour lunch break in the middle of my nine-hour day.

I worked at the same place last year, and ended up getting Chinese at least three times a week. I didn't get sick of it, and I'm pretty bad at making myself lunch to bring along, so I'm thinking at least a few times a week, I'll possibly be buying myself lunch from there.

Question: what is not high in calories there? I'm looking for absolutely no more than 600 calories, because this is my main meal of the day. I love chicken and rice soup, broccoli and chicken (or beef), and... gosh, I guess I'm pretty boring, that's all I ever get haha. I'm willing to try things I normally wouldn't on the menu, but just don't know what is "healthy" - or at least not super unhealthy? ::sigh::

So yeah, your typical, average, in every town takeout Chinese place menu. What are some good choices?

Thanks in advance :)

Replies

• rachellepilcher
    Options
    personally I would worry a little less about the calories and a lot more about the sodium...most Chinese food places are extremely high in sodium which is extremely bad for your heart
  • kristinathenina
    Options
    Ask for your sauce on the side, try to get minimal or no rice. Try to keep to chicken or shrimp with vegetables. Stay away from sweet and sour, or any kind of noodles. No egg rolls- some places have spring rolls that are not fried, check first. Steamed is always better for you. When I HAVE to have chinese, I get steamed chicken and broccoli with sauce on the side. Egg drop soup is really low calories as long as you stay away from the crispy (fried) noodles that come with it. A real big worry is also sodium, chinese food is drenched in salt, so make sure you are getting TONS of water in your day.
  • lersie
    lersie Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    Chinese is my favorite and when I go in I ask for them to make it "traditional" style which means no corn starch. Skip the soup and the rice. I always have chicken vegetable without all that stuff and no sauces and it's never hurt my weight loss.
  • fearlessly
    fearlessly Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Wow, sounds like a pretty bad outlook overall haha... maybe I should start stocking up on Lean Cuisine or something? lol