Cooking without oil

Options
Balaru
Balaru Posts: 203 Member
Anyone here cook without oil? My cholesterol levels were very high at my last check up and it's been suggested to cut out the oil. I know in baking you can substitute applesauce but what about sauteing veggies? I'm from Louisiana and most dishes start with sauted onions, bell peppers and celery.

Replies

• anlymc13
    anlymc13 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I would suggest using a tablespoon or so of water just so the veggies don't stick to your pan.
  • subakwa
    subakwa Posts: 347 Member
    Options
    I saute with a wipe of oil on a non-stuck pan, and then just add enough water to stop sticking now and then as needed. You don't want to boil the veg, so let them dry fry, but not catch.
  • MamaFunky
    MamaFunky Posts: 735 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I like to steam my celery, onions, green peppers, etc in chicken broth. Gives them flavor without the oil. I use just enough to cover them and let them absorb the broth as they cook down, adding more broth if necessary.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    use more heart healthy oils to cook with...and be more conservative with how much you are using.
  • Balaru
    Balaru Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Should add I'm trying to follow a whole food plant based food plan.
  • HealthierRayne
    HealthierRayne Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Balaru wrote: »
    Should add I'm trying to follow a whole food plant based food plan.

That is fantastic and can really help reduce your cholesterol levels. For sauteing veggies I've done it in a dry non-stick pan or you can use a very small amount of water to help the items from sticking. It's a little tricky to get used to. If you are struggling, I know there are a few youtubers who demo no-oil cooking or have recipes you may want to try out.

Wishing you all the best in your journey and much health!
  • lporter229
    lporter229 Posts: 4,907 Member
    Options
    Why would cutting out oil help with your cholesterol levels? Unless you are using lard, butter or animal based fats, most cooking oils do not contain cholesterol. Use olive oil, coconut oil, canola oil, avocado oil, etc. If you are just trying to cut calories, then I would suggest using an oil mister or spray oil and a good non-stick pan.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    For sautéing veggies or eggs, use spray oil just to coat the bottom of pan then add fresh chopped tomatoes because they're "watery" or add water bit by bit so it doesn't stick to the pan and cook until it evaporates.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    Life is not worth living without roux. Can't you at least use something healthier like olive oil? Decrease the amount of oil, increase the amount of trinity, take a brisk walk afterwards...seems like any doctor would be happy with that.
  • MakePeasNotWar
    MakePeasNotWar Posts: 1,329 Member
    Options
    I use a bit of broth or water for sautéed foods. I also use more "wet" cooking techniques, like boiling, steaming and stewing. If you continue with a no oil, WFPB way of eating, you might want to look into getting an "instant pot" multi-cooker. I use mine several times a week.

For onions, I tend to cook them dry on the skillet, then deglaze with broth 2-3 times. Otherwise I find they don't brown at all and don't add much flavour.
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    Louisiana girl here too. I have had success with sauteing onion, celery and bell pepper in just 2 tablespoons of olive oil then add a dry roux mix. I have made many gumbos that way. Unless my picky family members find the jar or see me do it no one has complained. soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/2013/01/gumbo-vert.html
  • JonnyHicks
    JonnyHicks Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Water! Try dairy free it isn't hard so many products now.