Random Question...

Options
2»

Replies

• MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,394 Member
    Options
    We get catered lunches on most Wednesdays. I just eye ball it. It almost always ends up being 200-300 more calories than what I normally eat for lunch (usually try to stay under 400) but I know this in advance and make up for it the rest of the day. Love me some free yummy food!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    RobD520 wrote: »
    I would not take scales to my place of work. Right or wrong, your image matters there.

How would using a scale to weigh food harm someone's image at work? That seems totally bizarre to me.

Because weighing food at social functions is not normal or socially acceptable.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I would not take scales to my place of work. Right or wrong, your image matters there.

How would using a scale to weigh food harm someone's image at work? That seems totally bizarre to me.

I wasn't aware that we were talking about a "social function." I thought it was just having lunch at work. I wouldn't bother bringing a scale, but I can't imagine any repercussions if I did.
  • musicalityrnb
    musicalityrnb Posts: 53 Member
    Options

I wasn't aware that we were talking about a "social function." I thought it was just having lunch at work. I wouldn't bother bringing a scale, but I can't imagine any repercussions if I did.

It's not a social function. A rep is bringing in lunch for the office and we can go and take the lunch as we please once it arrives, and we can eat at our desks, outside, in our cars, on top of our cars, etc. :p
  • asjt678
    asjt678 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Maybe get some of those plates and bowls that measure your food for you. (They are like measuring cups) I have some myself. It won't be as accurate as a scale but it help you with your guesstimates.
  • musicalityrnb
    Options
    asjt678 wrote: »
    Maybe get some of those plates and bowls that measure your food for you. (They are like measuring cups) I have some myself. It won't be as accurate as a scale but it help you with your guesstimates.

oOo, what an idea! Never thought of that.
  • RobD520
    Options

It's not a social function. A rep is bringing in lunch for the office and we can go and take the lunch as we please once it arrives, and we can eat at our desks, outside, in our cars, on top of our cars, etc. :p

Thanks this was the point I was making. If you wanted, it sounds like you can discretely weight your food without concern if you so chose.
  • LTB1234
    LTB1234 Posts: 38 Member
    Options
    I have a scale in my office kitchen and at my desk. People always inquire and seem really impressed that I keep up with my log. My image at work...I'm a girl that works out and watches what I eat. It could be worse.
  • RobD520
    Options
    RandiGrn wrote: »
    I have a scale in my office kitchen and at my desk. People always inquire and seem really impressed that I keep up with my log. My image at work...I'm a girl that works out and watches what I eat. It could be worse.

I guess that was my expectation. If I was ever seen weighing my portions in the kitchen area of my company, I cannot imagine ANYONE being offended. Maybe it's a regional thing, or a "company culture" thing.......
  • huntersmom2016
    huntersmom2016 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    OK, I know I'm going to get alot flack for this... But I rarely weigh my food. I've been in food service for over a decade and I've pretty much learned what 4oz of something looks like etc. With that being said, I've lost 35 lbs doing it my way. And probably as i get closer to my goal weight, I'll need to weigh everything. And let's be clear... I'm not suggesting you stop weighing your food. But the point I'm getting ready to make is this... You've probably weighed enough food to have a pretty good idea what size the serving is you are taking. If you don't have your scale, take a good look at the items you've chosen and make an educated guess. Then when you get ready to log it you can log it as a little more than what you think it was just to err on the side of caution. Also, I would stick to choosing foods that are prepared fairly simply to make the guess work easier when logging. For example, a casserole that the recipe has been handed down will leave alot uncertainties whereas simple vegetables and a piece of chicken won't. So to sum it up... If you decide to not take your scale or you just forget to take it one day, just make smart choices and log it the best way you know how and don't beat yourself up for it.
  • gettingreallyfedupnow
    gettingreallyfedupnow Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    I have a good little book called 'carbs and cals' that has photos of amounts of everyday food on plates, with the calorie count - I find it really useful for making guesstimates a bit more accurate.
  • glassyo
    glassyo Posts: 7,619 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone,

My job has catered lunches every Tuesday and Friday from reps and sometimes, if the meal is simple enough, I'll partake of it. My question is: For those who weigh everything, would you bring your scales to the office to weigh what you might consume or do you simply stick with your pre-portioned and weighed foods?

I'm one of those people that, if there's free food, I'm gonna eat it. :)

I also keep a portable scale in my desk at work and have been known to use the postage machine scale. I don't weigh everything altho I should. I suck at portion control.

If you normally weigh foods and you want to eat the food that's being brought in and you don't need to be sociable when you eat, there's no reason for you to feel weird or think you have some image to uphold because you work in an office. My coworker used to laugh when she caught me weighing that half a bagel before logging it and now she comes to me to weigh avocados for her.

I have to stop myself from telling her about the skin adding to the weight tho. :)
  • musicalityrnb
    Options
    OK, I know I'm going to get alot flack for this... But I rarely weigh my food. I've been in food service for over a decade and I've pretty much learned what 4oz of something looks like etc. With that being said, I've lost 35 lbs doing it my way. And probably as i get closer to my goal weight, I'll need to weigh everything. And let's be clear... I'm not suggesting you stop weighing your food. But the point I'm getting ready to make is this... You've probably weighed enough food to have a pretty good idea what size the serving is you are taking. If you don't have your scale, take a good look at the items you've chosen and make an educated guess. Then when you get ready to log it you can log it as a little more than what you think it was just to err on the side of caution. Also, I would stick to choosing foods that are prepared fairly simply to make the guess work easier when logging. For example, a casserole that the recipe has been handed down will leave alot uncertainties whereas simple vegetables and a piece of chicken won't. So to sum it up... If you decide to not take your scale or you just forget to take it one day, just make smart choices and log it the best way you know how and don't beat yourself up for it.

Thanks for your perspective. I just started weighing my food yesterday as I've lost 37 lbs without weighing but have been at a weight loss plateau for almost 2 months. I've increased my exercise intensity but wasn't losing anything so now I'm reevaluating my eating habits and weighing my foods to see what my real caloric intake is.
  • Graymanstole
    Graymanstole Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have a food scale sitting on my desk. I am asked quite often at work about my weight loss. What did I do? How hard was it? etc. My response has usually been "I weigh my food way more often than I weigh myself"

Some people react poorly to this. "That's the dumbest thing I ever heard. There has to be more than that." Well, look at my profile pic. That's what weighing food can do. If it's a social function, I don't bring the scale with me, but I still manage portions by taking am amount no larger than the palm of my hand. It isn't always easy trying to lose weight, I am not going to make it harder by worrying about what my coworkers think I should or should not be doing. Every one of them has advice on what I should do to lose weight.
  • huntersmom2016
    Options

Thanks for your perspective. I just started weighing my food yesterday as I've lost 37 lbs without weighing but have been at a weight loss plateau for almost 2 months. I've increased my exercise intensity but wasn't losing anything so now I'm reevaluating my eating habits and weighing my foods to see what my real caloric intake is.

Yeah, I feel like the more I lose and get closer to my goal weight, I'll have to start weighing as well
  • huntersmom2016
    Options

Now that I know you've just started weighing yesterday, it probably is a good idea to take that scale with you. I think it's great you are dedicated enough to take that extra step to get to where you want to be instead of giving up. Good luck to you!