BEFORE AND AFTER - how diiiiddd you do it?!?

Options
1235»

Replies

• mtkautz
    mtkautz Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Lo2101
    Lo2101 Posts: 8
    Options
    bump
  • missymarea
    missymarea Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    Bump....
  • jody0912
    jody0912 Posts: 33
    Options
    Your stories are so inspiring - thank you for sharing! I will keep telling myself: just keep going.
  • IamFocused
    IamFocused Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Bump!!
  • grimnir
    grimnir Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Anyone else got a story? I'd love to hear it...
  • AmberBarrios
    AmberBarrios Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    I am not on the all star team just yet. LOL But I will be there soon.

The first thing I want to tell everyone starting out is, don't gauge your success by the success of others in terms of time.
    I would get so discouraged when I would see my MFP friends who started months after me by passing me in lbs lost that I nearly gave up. I got stuck for several months and have just recently started to drop again. Our bodies all work in different ways. You just have to keep pushing till you get where you need to be.

I have lost 61lbs so far and I have been at it since May 4, 2010, I spent 6 months stuck in a plateau but didn't let it do me in.

Good luck to everyone who is continuing or starting their journeys, only you can change you!
  • Kittyfeliz
    Kittyfeliz Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    bump
  • neoblues856
    Options
    Im not an all star either but wanted to share and hopefully motivate someone else:)
    My starting weight was 265 and now im down to 174. It took me a year to peel the weight off.
    when I first decided to lose weight I was so out of shape that the only thing I could do was walk so that's what I did.
    At first it was very difficult and I was way out of breath before I got around the corner but my daughters encouraged me to keep it up and before I knew it I was walking around the block :) as I grew stronger I threw in exercise videos and weights.
    And as of today I exercises everyday for atleast a half hour (cardio) plus I still walk daily.
    I aim at 1200 calories daily and I drink lots and lots of water with an occasional diet pop now and then.
    My goal is to lose a pound a week but I don't stress about it I just keep moving.

The best advice I could give anyone is just to get busy doing some kind of activity anything that gets you up and moving! Then slowly make changes as your ready. The weight will come off and you'll be motivated to keep it up! Just don't give up.
  • Alidecker
    Alidecker Posts: 1,262 Member
    Options
    I don't really know what my aha moment was, but i was on vacation, went to lunch with my best friend on a Friday in September 2009, on the way home, I drove by a gym that had opened about 6 months earlier and I went in. I told myself I was just going to check it out....I signed up for a year membership. I got two free personal training sessions with my membership. I tild mysel I wasn't paying for a personal trainer until I proved to myself that I would actually go to the gym....after the 2nd free session, I signed up for 12 more. I have been going to the gym 5-6 days a week ever since (except for a few illnesses and injuries)

My first real (or paid for) session with my trainer was hard, he weighed me...320 pounds and we discussed goals and nutrition. My first goal was to lose 25 pounds by Christmas. Hit that before Thanksgiving :) Lost 50 pounds by the middle of January, 2010. In April I had my first minor stall - had to have my gallbladder taken out. Apparently this is an issue with weight loss. Took 10 days off, then started back at th gym. Hit the 100 pound mark at the end of May 2010.

By the end of the first year ( September 2010), I had lost 125 pounds. Things slowed down and I have been stuck between 186 and 188 since October (134 pounds lost) I am still trying to get to 175. In December, I had hip surgery and couldn't work out for 6 weeks. It was hard to deal with mentally. I had two fears...one that I would gain 30 pounds and two, I would not want to get back to my routine. Niether happened. I stayed the exact same weight!

My normal workout weeks now consist of M W F doing resistance training with some cardio, and all Cardio on T Th. Saturday I usually do a group fitness class which I love. Sunday....if I missed a day during the week, I usually go swim about a mile or so. Lately I have been doing some different classes to mix things up. TRX Circut training is what I am doing now. In the last month or so, I haven't lost any weight, but I have gone down a pants sixe

My diet....not always great. If I could get that under control, I would probably be at my goal weight. I try and eat between 1500 and 1750 calories a day. I eat 6 times a day, trying to get more protien, but not doing great at that either :) I didn;t give up alcohol completely, but I limited it to weekends, unless I am on vacation. When I gave myself that rule, about March, 2010 it helped with the weight loss. I eat a lot of fruit and try to eat more veggies, but mostly I worked on portion control. My personal trainer was a huge help with my workouts and my nutrition.

I love working out now, hate missing workouts. Who knew? Too bad I didn't do this 20 years ago, but I'm doing it now!
  • lynn12
    lynn12 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    Bump ,wow love this thread thanks for sharing
  • sarahrobin
    sarahrobin Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    This is the best thread! I needed something to get me back on track!

mauryr- I am stealing your signature quote. It is awesome! I'm going to put it up all around my house! :smile:
  • amber_hanners
    amber_hanners Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    i
  • martielou
    martielou Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    These are amazing :)
    Bump!
  • mrstotal180
    mrstotal180 Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Thanks for posting this topic! Awesome job everyone!
  • h3h8m3
    h3h8m3 Posts: 455 Member
    Options
    Love this topic. Would like to see more.
  • Moonlight17
    Moonlight17 Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    stories here are soo inspiring!!

BUMP BUMP BUMP!!!
  • randisaucier
    randisaucier Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Love these stories......

bumping for more inspiration!
  • smudger_24
    smudger_24 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    bump

what does bump mean!?!?
  • velix
    velix Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    Although still working on losing another 27lbs, I started at 252 (5"7) in January 2010 - I started by joining the gym and hiring a personal trainer 2x a week. lost about 25 or so lbs that way, but really did not pay any attention to what I ate. Progress was slow - I continued with my trainer - felt better physically but still had a ways to go. Trainer told me that I could work out all I wanted, if I did not change my eating habits, it will be a very long and hard road.

tried weight watchers ... for about a week.

tried keeping track of my food manually in a journal.... for about three days.....

Then, in November of 2010, my daughter introduced me to this site and it has made the world of difference. Its been 240+ days and still going strong. I keep track of my food - the good, the bad and the ugly. I still eat junk food and drink alcohol, but a lot more responsibly. I promised myself I wanted to still eat the stuff I love, but have learned to include it in a much healthier diet.

By tracking my food, I realized how much I was ACTUALLY eating (3k calories for a holiday lasagna dinner was an extreme eye opener!) ... I learned what a portion really is - and do my best to stick to it... and I go to the gym for 1 - 2hrs a day 4 - 6x a week (depending on how I feel and what other activities I have planned for the week)...

And most of all - the 'secret' I think is that I never thought I needed a support network - and MFP has proved me wrong. It's strange, I don't want friends to go to the gym with - never like calling on my friends for support surrounding my weight loss - but there is something comforting in an online community that keeps me grounded and accountable in ways that my 'every day life' friends don't.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!