Already want a snack!

Options
Today was a restart for me. Got a good night sleep and had in my head I was going to eat only good foods, get my water in and get to the gym. I've been good up until now when my craving for a salty snack (i.e., pretzels) comes on strong. I had plenty to eat and snacked on red peppers and carrots, but now really want to get a bag of pretzels to get me through the rest of my work day. How do you guys handle it when you know you shouldn't have it and don't need it? Have had a ton of water today and now drinking a unsweetened tea. Don't want to go home and snack on a zillion things while making the kids dinner. I have plenty of calories left since I did a 3 mile run during lunch and already have well over 15000 on my fitbit. I'll probably get close to 25000 when all is said and done tonight.

Replies

• SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    Log it and see if you have room after dinner is logged...if so go for it.
  • WBB55
    WBB55 Posts: 4,131 Member
    Options
    what's wrong with some pretzels? They're usually whole wheat. There's worse things.

If I get afternoon munchies and there's no room for calories, I make some broth using boullion. About 10 calories. Of course, I just now finished a hard boiled egg, so maybe I shouldn't give advice on not snacking.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »

I do this all the time. I prelog my whole day foodwise so I know what I'm working with. It helps me to recalculate when needed. For example, I skipped my planned snack for half a bag of mini nila wafers after I donated blood. less calories and more yum. Gotta love that! I personally find that putting off a craving leads me to overindulge later.
  • RobD520
    RobD520 Posts: 420 Member
    Options
    I pre-log my day with a little cushion so I can have a snack when I need it. Pretzels with some hummus are often my "go to."

• SezxyStef
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »

I do this all the time. I prelog my whole day foodwise so I know what I'm working with. It helps me to recalculate when needed. For example, I skipped my planned snack for half a bag of mini nila wafers after I donated blood. less calories and more yum. Gotta love that! I personally find that putting off a craving leads me to overindulge later.

Exactly... I go so far as logging Sunday through Friday at noon...that way I know how much wiggle room I have for the weekend...

When I was actively losing I logged breakfast and my snack (chocolate bar) then worked my lunch and dinner around that..making sure I was getting lots of protein in.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    shinycrazy wrote: »

Thanks for donating blood!
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    Options
    As others have mentioned, if you can fit it into your day, go for it.

By restricting so severely as it seems like you might, you risk burn out and binging on those things you wanted. So just make the foods you enjoy work into your goal and you'll be fine.
  • TiredMom12
    TiredMom12 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone. I did log it in and will just not overdue it later with dinner. Plan to have grilled chicken and veggies and more water. My husband has lost over 40 lbs and has such total discipline 95% of the time. I wish I had half his will power!
  • SezxyStef
    Options
    TiredMom12 wrote: »
    Thanks everyone. I did log it in and will just not overdue it later with dinner. Plan to have grilled chicken and veggies and more water. My husband has lost over 40 lbs and has such total discipline 95% of the time. I wish I had half his will power!

but giving up the foods you love want and crave is no way to live...and what about when you hit goal...are you not ever going to eat those foods again.

Just remember that this is a life that you will live not a diet that ends...
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Just find away to fit smaller amounts of the food you like into your diet, if you eat stuff you don't like everyday you are just going to end up failing.
  • jwcanfield
    jwcanfield Posts: 192 Member
    Options
    WBB55 wrote: »
    what's wrong with some pretzels? They're usually whole wheat. There's worse things.

If I get afternoon munchies and there's no room for calories, I make some broth using boullion. About 10 calories. Of course, I just now finished a hard boiled egg, so maybe I shouldn't give advice on not snacking.

Oooooo Are you criticizing yourself for snacking on a boiled egg? That's funny!
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Pretzels are pretty low calorie. Just make room for them in your day.