How did you decide when you were ready for maintenance?

Options
Here's a little bit of background on me. I'm a 25 years old female, 5'6" and around 149lbs.

5 years ago I used MFP to get from 205 to around 170 during my summer break. I intended to keep losing, but then I went back to college and was only able to maintain.

8 months ago I found myself at ~180 and wanting to lose. Mid April of this year I got down to my current weight and have been maintain for the past 2 months (unintentionally). I've still been counting, but I've been more lax and have been going out to bars more since the weather has been nicer. I think I'm also pretty happy with my body now so I don't feel the need to be so strict with my diet.

So here's my issue - I don't know if I should stop trying to lose weight and focus on maintenance at this point.

Some points I keep thinking of:
* I'm happy with my body now, I've never weighed this little as an adult, so how do i know that I wouldn't look better at an even lighter weight? However, I've noticed my boobs and butt have gotten smaller and I really wouldn't want them to get even smaller...
* People keep telling me I'm good now and need to stop losing - I can't tell if they're being sincere or just saying it for the hell of saying it.
* My BMI is on the cusp of overweight and I'm not muscular at all... so am I unhealthy if I stay where I am?
* I bought a lot of new clothes bc everything I had just didn't fit anymore. I'm a size 6 now in dresses and in pants. I don't really want to have to buy size 4s now...

SO - how did YOU decide to stop losing???

Replies

• robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    lma0423 wrote: »
    Here's a little bit of background on me. I'm a 25 years old female, 5'6" and around 149lbs.

5 years ago I used MFP to get from 205 to around 170 during my summer break. I intended to keep losing, but then I went back to college and was only able to maintain.

8 months ago I found myself at ~180 and wanting to lose. Mid April of this year I got down to my current weight and have been maintain for the past 2 months (unintentionally). I've still been counting, but I've been more lax and have been going out to bars more since the weather has been nicer. I think I'm also pretty happy with my body now so I don't feel the need to be so strict with my diet.

So here's my issue - I don't know if I should stop trying to lose weight and focus on maintenance at this point.

Some points I keep thinking of:
    * I'm happy with my body now, I've never weighed this little as an adult, so how do i know that I wouldn't look better at an even lighter weight? However, I've noticed my boobs and butt have gotten smaller and I really wouldn't want them to get even smaller...
    * People keep telling me I'm good now and need to stop losing - I can't tell if they're being sincere or just saying it for the hell of saying it.
    * My BMI is on the cusp of overweight and I'm not muscular at all... so am I unhealthy if I stay where I am?
    * I bought a lot of new clothes bc everything I had just didn't fit anymore. I'm a size 6 now in dresses and in pants. I don't really want to have to buy size 4s now...

SO - how did YOU decide to stop losing???

It's not an easy question to answer because everyone has a different perspective.

It also depends on your goals and what you are trying to achieve.

For me personally, I've set a goal of 12% body fat.
  • lma0423
    lma0423 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    How do you measure your BF%? How did you go about determining your ideal %
  • robs_ready
    robs_ready Posts: 1,488 Member
    Options
    lma0423 wrote: »
    How do you measure your BF%? How did you go about determining your ideal %

For women 21-33% is considered a healthy range, you can measure fat with a body fat caliper. It measure fat on the fold of the skin.

Some gyms offer them for a charge. It's about £20 in the UK
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    My goal was 15%ish BF. I hit that and went into maintenance and continued to lift and recomp. I've been in maintenance for over three years and I'm the same weight but leaner at 12%.