PCP suggested visit w/ weight center... Scared.

Options
Hi all,

I've struggled with weight my whole life. My doctor has tried to help me lose weight for years and I succeeded in losing 30lbs a few years ago but gained it back this year.

Starting in January she has had monthly check ins with me to check my progress. I've only lost 10lbs since January despite my best efforts so she suggested I visit a weight center she's associated with.

I went to the orientation and they discussed the different programs they offer - lifestyle coaching, medication and surgery. It's scary to think about the possibility of the second two options. I eat well and exercise regularly so I'm afraid they won't even know what to do with me. My BMI is exactly 40 right now so I may not even qualify for surgery, which I reaaallllly don't want anyway.

I have a follow up in a few months and that's when it really starts. I need to see a psychologist, dietician and MD to come up with a "plan" - having so many care providers is scary and in a way I feel incredibly weak and stupid for doing this, even if it's in my best interest.

Has anyone else had to visit a weight center? Did you complete any programs? How was it in general?

Replies

• shagerty777
    shagerty777 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    At the risk of sounding like a total tool here...are you really putting your "best efforts" into eating well and exercising? Of course I don't know your medical history but generally in weight loss lack of discipline is the number one reason for failure. I ask because I really do care and hate to see you have to go that route to get to your goals.
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    Well, here's the thing. You said you have a "follow up in a few months".

Set up your profile, stick to your calorie goals, move more and see what happens. Buy a digital food scale to keep everything accurate. If you do this, and I mean really do this, you will lose weight and can feel totally fine cancelling your very scary appointment in a few months and going back to your primary doctor with these results showing a healthy and sustainable loss.

Or you can not, and wait for the follow up.
  • idateacher2
    idateacher2 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hello,

I do believe a bmi of 40 would qualify you for surgery, should that be a path you wanted to take. A bmi of 35 plus 2 comorbidities (high blood pressure, diabetic, etc.) also is typically covered. You can call your insurance to confirm. I did go through a weight loss clinic, and it can be helpful for sure. It can only help though if you are open to it. For example, you mentioned that you "eat well" and exercise. Something isn't working though if your bmi is 40. Please know I say this with kindess, as I started out with a bmi of 44. The weight loss clinic that I went to was excellent. If you listen to what is suggested, I do believe it can help. Surgery though is more effective.
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    From looking at your diary, it doesnt seem you are using a food scale. Entries like "three yukon potatoes" are not caloricly accurate. Before you try medication or something as serious as surgery you need to get a food scale and count calories properly.