Gross Topic but in Need of Advice

Options
I get enough fiber, I drink plenty of water, I exercise, and I take magnesium (heard it was good for bowel movements) and I still cannot decently poop! I'm very bummed about this because with my stomach being bloated constantly, I can't really see the progress I'm making at the gym. I also eat things like prunes and drink coffee to get me moving and nothing. I don't want to go to the doctor's either because I feel like they'll just tell me what I already know and put me on a pill, which I think is probably unnecessary. Anybody out there have the same problem???

Replies

• emdeesea
    emdeesea Posts: 1,823 Member
    Options
    Yep, apparently this is a common problem because it's posted quite a lot lately lol

I use a serving of wheat bran every day. Five mg mixed in with my oatmeal, cottage cheese or yogurt. No problems since I started doing that.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    How much fat are you eating?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

This was one of my questions, too.

Have you changed your diet dramatically? Are you feeling uncomfortable? What's your calorie goal?

~Lyssa
  • DaniCanadian
    DaniCanadian Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I get bloated and backed up if I eat raw veggies. Cooking them seems to take care of the issue. Sometimes too much fiber and not enough fat can also cause that.
  • mizzchines
    mizzchines Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Have had this problem in the past. Started taking probiotics. Problem solved.
  • samanthadelauder724
    samanthadelauder724 Posts: 9 Member
    Options

It says that today I had 46 grams, but I ate a little more than usual today. I changed my diet dramatically over a month ago, and my calorie goal is a little over 2000 and I rarely go over that.

• pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Eat 2 pears with a cup of coffee.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Are you taking the magnesium before bed on an empty stomach?
    what type of mag are you taking?

A fullproof way for me to stay regular is psyllium husk powder, 10-20g a day is all it takes.
  • nikolausi88
    nikolausi88 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    You could try taking a fish oil capsule before bed.

I tried everything you listed and it did nothing for me either. Even though I think I eat enough fat, apparently I needed just a little more.
    Everything works like clockwork now...
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    Have you tried a probiotic?
  • Christine_72
    Options
    Just to expand on my question above about magnesium.. I could take 10 tablets of mag oxide or citrate throughout the day and it will have zero effect. But if i take just 2 before bed, preferably on an empty stomach, it works every time.
  • shyviolet53
    shyviolet53 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I had this problem after I gave birth to my son. I take two psyllium husk
    pills everyday now with my vitamins. I asked my doctor if it was a problem to continue long term and she told me it was a very healthy thing to do.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

It says that today I had 46 grams, but I ate a little more than usual today. I changed my diet dramatically over a month ago, and my calorie goal is a little over 2000 and I rarely go over that.

What is your weight? .4 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight is a good minimum. That would be:

40 grams for a 100 lb person
    48 grams for a 120 lb person
    56 grams for a 140 lb person
    64 grams for a 160 lb person
    72 grams for a 180 lb person
    80 grams for a 200 lb person

And so on and so forth.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    coffee, watermelon, plenty of exercise all seem to help me.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,953 Member
    Options
    I get like that when I have too much bread and pasta stuff. With smaller portions, my problems got a lot better. Eating more fat and drinking water helped too. And coffee.

Also learning that "regular" poops does not mean once a day every day at the same time for everyone.
  • spring913
    spring913 Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I eat 2 tbsp of ground flax every morning in my yogurt. Since I started that a couple years ago I've had no problems at all.
  • afatpersonwholikesfood
    afatpersonwholikesfood Posts: 577 Member
    Options
    I've had this problem for awhile. My solution, and my doctor's solution, is to use Miralax on a regular basis. Adding fiber/prunes in the past didn't help. I already drink plenty of liquids and exercise. I drink iced coffee several mornings per week. This has been going on since I lost the first 30 pounds or so. I'm not sure that Miralax is a satisfactory answer to my issue, but it's the only thing that works. Otherwise, I'm going once per week. Twice if I'm lucky. And it's not a proper poop when it does happen.

Generally, diet with fiber + exercise + fluids is the first line of treatment. I'm going to bring it up again at my next visit because it seems odd to suddenly be constipated all the time when that's a problem I have NEVER had in my life, and without Miralax, once per week with difficulty seems a bit extreme and is starting to concern me.
  • ydyms
    ydyms Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    Look into the low fodmap diet. This really helps
  • Christine_72
    Options
    I've had this problem for awhile. My solution, and my doctor's solution, is to use Miralax on a regular basis. Adding fiber/prunes in the past didn't help. I already drink plenty of liquids and exercise. I drink iced coffee several mornings per week. This has been going on since I lost the first 30 pounds or so. I'm not sure that Miralax is a satisfactory answer to my issue, but it's the only thing that works. Otherwise, I'm going once per week. Twice if I'm lucky. And it's not a proper poop when it does happen.

Generally, diet with fiber + exercise + fluids is the first line of treatment. I'm going to bring it up again at my next visit because it seems odd to suddenly be constipated all the time when that's a problem I have NEVER had in my life, and without Miralax, once per week with difficulty seems a bit extreme and is starting to concern me.

Yes,once a week is definitely extreme. I go within 10 minutes of getting up every morning, but i need to take extra fibre, water and magnesium to achieve this or else it would probably be every second day or so. I feel horrible if i miss one day, let a lone waiting a whole week :confounded:
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options

I'd try eating more fat.
    When you say you dramatically changed your diet how did it change?