Tips

Options
I'm starting to wonder if paying for a scale to weight food is a bit extreme. Thoughts?

Replies

• MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    Options
    It's not extreme at all. It's eye opening and accurate. It has saved me hundreds of calories per week. That is not an exaggeration.
  • elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    How so?
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Are you losing weight now?

If so, then you can keep going as you are. If you find you aren't losing weight at some point, getting a food scale can be really helpful to determine proper portion sizes :)

~Lyssa
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    I think it's useful even if just used for a few weeks because a lot of people have no idea how big 1 serving something is or how much they're actually eating. That said, I don't use to weigh my food daily and mainly now just use it to measure ingredients for recipes that call for ingredients by weight.
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    It depends upon how much you have to lose. If your goal is more than 1 pound, a week; you have a nice cushion of error & you'll still be able to lose. If your goal is 1 pound or less, it's best; to obtain a food scale because it's very easy, to consume 250 ~ 500 calories extra & not realize it, until a month later; when your bathroom scale doesn't reflect your goals.
  • tannic2k7
    tannic2k7 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    Losing weight... Sadly no.

Losing the fat yes. I might need new clothes soon. I want to be accurate in this and not guess.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you're seeing a change - either in inches OR on the scale, you might be OK as you are. Often water retention will mask fat loss, so you see little or no movement on the scale but a difference in how your clothes fit.

I do use a food scale for a lot of stuff. Eating/cooking at home and for lunches I pack - everything solid for those is weighed. I generally measure liquids, too.

I find it helpful to know exactly how much I'm eating when possible. I'm maintaining right now and weigh daily so I can catch trends up/down if needed.

~Lyssa
  • MissusMoon
    MissusMoon Posts: 1,900 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    tannic2k7 wrote: »
    Losing weight... Sadly no.

Losing the fat yes. I might need new clothes soon. I want to be accurate in this and not guess.

If you don't want to guess, you want a food scale. In another thread I listed all those calories I would have consumed if not weighing. 150 in a meat product, 100 over the week in my sandwich rolls, even a little over in nut butters and oils can be many, many calories. Not even single serve packaged foods are accurate all the time. (Some are spot on, others, like those sandwich rolls, are twenty more calories than listed. Over a week that can be a big problem).

You will also find some good in it. I found I was consuming a lot less cheese, mayo and other things when I started weighing and was only using cups or estimating. That gave me more options for snacks later!
  • Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Oh my gosh. I am losing weight so much more consistently and easily by weighing my food, than I ever, ever did by eyeballing/measuring it. In my opinion it is absolutely worth it.

P.S. They aren't that expensive :)
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,180 Member
    Options
    tannic2k7 wrote: »
    I'm starting to wonder if paying for a scale to weight food is a bit extreme. Thoughts?

Not at all ... and it's not like they cost a lot of money either.