Gluten free

Options
I maybe allergic to gluten. Has anyone tried a gluten free diet?

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    If you believe you are allergic, go to a professional and get tested.
  • FitPhillygirl
    FitPhillygirl Posts: 7,124 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I tested positive for Celiacs Disease about 4 years ago after having both blood tests and a biopsy. Been gluten free for the most part since then. Occasionally I slip up and eat something that contains gluten when I'm eating out, but for the most part eating out has been much easier for me now than when I was first diagnosed.
    I would urge you to get tested for a gluten allergy before starting on a gluten free diet. Trust me, going gluten free isn't an easy thing to do even though there are more gluten free alternatives out there these days which make shopping much better.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    What @FitPhillygirl said except I was diagnosed closer to 5 years ago. It is that you have a wheat allergy without having celiac, and it's possible that you are allergic to something else. Get tested before you eliminate gluten. It's easier than it used to be, but it is still really hard.
  • lexiJ95
    lexiJ95 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    My celiac test was negative, as were most of the allergy test but I am very intolerant to gluten, dairy, soy and eggs. I have such severe intolerance to gluten I end up in the hospital if I eat it, but my test has remained negative.
    The doctor will likely have you try two+ weeks on a gluten free diet to see if you feel better or have less symptoms no matter what your test says, if you feel better, go to GF.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    If you believe you are allergic, go to a professional and get tested.

This
  • Bonny132
    Bonny132 Posts: 3,617 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    My CD test came back negative as my doctor took me off gluten before my test, gluten makes me so ill I have not gone back to be retested as you need 6 weeks on gluten to reduce the chance of a false read. I have followed a strict gluten free diet for 2 years now and I am symptom free unless I slip up.

If you suspect you are CD, have an allergy or have an intolerance I urge you to keep eating it and get yourself tested by a doctor (not the home tests over the Internet etc) Blood work and the lots. In the meantime keep a detailed diary of what you eat, down to the ingredients, times AND your symptoms and when.

Edited due to spelling error.
  • prbford64
    prbford64 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Julie, I don't have a gluten allergy, but I do have gluten sensitivity, as demonstrated by the increase or decrease of symptoms relative to the amount of gluten in my diet (psoriasis, joint discomfort, headaches). If you're experiencing severe symptoms that you feel may be gluten related, definitely see a doctor who is knowledgeable about gluten sensitivities, gluten allergies, and CD. (A lot of doctor's poo-poo the concept of "gluten sensitivity".)

If you're already following a low carb diet, you're well on your way to being gluten free. Gluten is in no way required for good health, so eliminating it from your diet isn't problematic. I agree with LexiJ95's suggestion that you eliminate gluten from your diet for 2-4 weeks and note any improvement in symptoms and how you feel overall. If you start looking at food labels carefully, you'll be shocked at how ubiquitous "wheat" is in processed foods...it's astounding! Given the issues surrounding wheat cultivation & storage (GMOs, pesticide residue and mold), it really gives you cause to rethink including wheat and other gluten-containing grains in your diet.

IMO, going gluten free isn't "difficult", it's just a change in the way you eat that requires a change of your mindset. I would, however, caution you to avoid substituting a lot of "gluten free" products for your old familiar gluten-containing products. Why? Gluten free substitutes of traditionally gluten-laden products are generally highly processed (unhealthy) and can carry just as many carbs + calories (or more!) as the gluten products they're replacing. Making a dietary change to eliminate gluten and as many highly processed foods as possible from your diet, and increasing the whole foods that you consume, will only be of benefit. (And PS - if you're drinking diet sodas, get those 100% OUT of your diet - they're horrible for you!)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I agree with the others who said to get tested before trying the GF diet. Celiac tests require that you are eating gluten in the 8-12 weeks prior to testing (tissue transglutaminase IgA and IgG, deaminated gliadin peptides IgA and IgG, endomysial antibodies IgA, and maybe the old anti-gliadin antibodies IgA and IgG), but only 2-4 weeks for the endoscopic biopsy. If you go off gluten for a few weeks, you'll have o eat it again for an extra month or three in order to get tested. It is best to just get tested now.

If you suspect an allergy (IgE mediated rather than IgG and IgA) you do not need to be eating wheat for testing. FYI, there is no such thing as a gluten allergy but there are wheat allergies. Celiac disease and gluten sensitivies are not allergies.

If the celiac tests are negative, try eliminating gluten for a few months - a few days will tell you very very lttle. And make sure you are 100% GF. A crumb from a toaster, the wheat in soy sauce, or a crumb in the butter is enough to affect your health
  • Martha6010
    Martha6010 Posts: 82 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I dont eat gluten. I break out in hives and get bad tummyaches as long as I stay away from gluten Im fine. I will continue my choice being gluten free rather than being itchy to point making self bleed by scratching bad or having tummyache. You can have all foods just make without gluten.