MFP puts me on 1200 cals but not losing weight...

Options

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options

Do you double-check the results of scans or searches against the information on the package? Scans lead to the MFP database, and as that is mostly user-created it's often incorrect (even the so-called 'verified' entries).

Are you weighing pre-packed items or trusting the weight on the label?

Are you literally weighing everything you eat? I see .25 of a pitta for example, did you weigh that and do the calculation or did you estimate?

I must admit, I trust the database, will be checking with more scrutiny from herein! The 0.25 pitta was based on a recipe I made with one whole one and shared between 5 (1/4 because they don't have 1/5!) namely stuffed mushrooms. I try to be as realistic in my logging as possible.

Doc tested my thyroid - didn't tell me what the numbers were - but said it was normal. He didn't really seem interested, said to stick to a low fat diet and the weight will come off. He didn't inspire me. Not sure what else they would test for?

I really do appreciate all the input, makes me feel less like I'm going crazy. If only there were right and wrong answers.

This dieting lark is certainly harder as you get older!!!

Here's another question ... do you do "cheat days"?

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I'm also 5'5, so far have lost 3.5 stone, super sedentary outside of purposeful exercise (admittedly fairly intense 4-6 times a week for 30 mins to 1 hour) and have never grossed under about 1500 calories. And I do quite a bit of guesstimating (though I have discovered I'm reasonably good at eyeballing thank to doing a lot of baking in my life!).

So something is off somewhere. How long since you saw a loss? Have you been exercising from day one or just started?
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    if 1200 is making you stay, why not try 1000 calories?

i am a now 100kg man, and i have to go down to around 1000-1200 calories to lose weight, due to my rather sedentary lifestyle... and yes, i do 1-2 hours of power walking most days and some short exercises.

do not trust in others numbers, trust what works for you when you do it.

basically, if you aren't losing weight with what you eat, and you measure it all to the gram, then eat less.

Because 1200 calories is the bare minimum for a woman to eat to ensure she is receiving the nutrition she needs and fueling her body. For men, that amount is 1500 calories. I weigh 30 pounds (14-15 kg) more than you and lose on 2000.
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    My advice is have a few days off plan, or if this is too much then just one day off, eat till your full.....I find a little blowout kick starts my metabolism again and I start losing. Lots of people will disagree but it does work for me.....iv got 3 stone still to lose and I do this every now and then.
  • Thomaskerrya
    Thomaskerrya Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat - even eating out I make it fit! Been on this diet a couple of months, but have yo-to dieted for years :( and have been exercising since day one (or this diet) plateau has been over a week now. I am more tired some days, thought it was the exercise but maybe it's not enough nutrition? My weight always drops off the first few weeks then it seems to stall, and I haven't been dedicated enough to really monitor and work out what my body is telling me, so yet again the cycle is repeating itself. (Just slower than it did before I turned 40!)
  • KorvapuustiPossu
    KorvapuustiPossu Posts: 434 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP if it's only been a week don't stress about it...weight loss isn't linear. Sometimes we lose less, sometimes more. That is why it's better to look at general trend of weight loss over a period of time. Be patient and log everything as tightly as possible. Don't give up :) Also pay attention to TOM...us girls tend to hold some extra water weight around that time and around ovulation time as well...so every 2 weeks in average :D That water weight can easily disguise weight loss. This is a process...give it time.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I've gone up to 5 wees without a loss. The body isn't a predictable machine, what you do today will not necessarily have an impact tomorrow. You have to keep going. If you're tired maybe think abut eating a little more, even 50-100 calories per day can make a huge difference and tweak your food choices too.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    I've scanned things that are a totally different product, more than a handful of times, as things get taken off the market, new products added and barcodes re-used.

Well spotted on the chicken entry, I hadn't even looked at the diary yet but yeah, tightening up on the logging and double checking entries will prevent this from being an actual issue down the line.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat - even eating out I make it fit! Been on this diet a couple of months, but have yo-to dieted for years :( and have been exercising since day one (or this diet) plateau has been over a week now. I am more tired some days, thought it was the exercise but **maybe it's not enough nutrition? My weight always drops off the first few weeks then it seems to stall, and I haven't been dedicated enough to really monitor and work out what my body is telling me, so yet again the cycle is repeating itself. (Just slower than it did before I turned 40!)

**Try to up your fat macro percentage a bit (ex. eat oily fish like grilled salmon and/or put avocado on your salad) for a meal every so often. It is worth a try and works for some people for blasting a stall.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I don't cheat - even eating out I make it fit! Been on this diet a couple of months, but have yo-to dieted for years :( and have been exercising since day one (or this diet) plateau has been over a week now. I am more tired some days, thought it was the exercise but **maybe it's not enough nutrition? My weight always drops off the first few weeks then it seems to stall, and I haven't been dedicated enough to really monitor and work out what my body is telling me, so yet again the cycle is repeating itself. (Just slower than it did before I turned 40!)

**Try to up your fat macro percentage a bit (ex. eat oily fish like grilled salmon and/or put avocado on your salad) for a meal every so often. It is worth a try and works for some people for blasting a stall.

How is upping a macro suppose to help with weight loss?
  • MsDeeHawk12
    MsDeeHawk12 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Two thoughts for you.... 1- Only eat back half of your calories you burn in exercise, or log only half the burned calories. A lot of the exercises seem to overestimate the burn, at least for what MFP and other apps show me. 2 - Make sure you never eat below the 1200 calories. It is not healthy!

Hang in there. You may be losing inches rather than pounds.
  • Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    Okay I am 43 and can lose weight eating net 1500...gross about 1800-2k a day. I maintain on about 2400 atm...there is no reason to go as low as 1000 calories.

I looked at your diary...there are days not logged at all...there are partial days

There are entries for Chicken with no protein...

You need to look at your entries and don't trust the scans.

Losing weight requires accurate and consistent logging...you are not doing that either due to not logging all the time or the entries you are choosing.

All of this. What's helpful to me is typing in "USDA, Granny Smith" and finding a listing by the gram instead of just typing "Apple" or "USDA chicken breast, raw" instead of just "chicken breast." Once you have the right entries, they will automatically populate via the app.

Also, you can calculate your recipe for your pita (or any recipe) via the recipe builder. You can set the portion size as the total weight of the finished dish, then weigh out the part you're eating.

• DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options

I would love for him to try it tonight and report back so you can find out.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options

I would love for him to try it tonight and report back so you can find out.

who is him? and one night doesn't make a different and you suggested it so do you not know?
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 25,029 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat - even eating out I make it fit! Been on this diet a couple of months, but have yo-to dieted for years :( and have been exercising since day one (or this diet) plateau has been over a week now. I am more tired some days, thought it was the exercise but maybe it's not enough nutrition? My weight always drops off the first few weeks then it seems to stall, and I haven't been dedicated enough to really monitor and work out what my body is telling me, so yet again the cycle is repeating itself. (Just slower than it did before I turned 40!)

That's normal.

Just stick with it and be patient.

• ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options

Oh...it's been a week. Don't worry, it happens (all.the.freaking.time.) and it makes me absolutely crazy. My longest has been two full weeks so far but then I dropped 3 pounds in 3 days at the end of it. My favourite quote for this journey is Dory from Finding Nemo "Just keep swimming swimming swimming".