MFP puts me on 1200 cals but not losing weight...

Options

Replies

• AmandaIsherwood3
    AmandaIsherwood3 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I was the same when I first started, mfp gave me 1200 a day as I wanted 2lb a week but it's too aggressive so I swapped it to 1lb a week and this is much better for me. At the beginning I felt like I was sticking to everything properly and nothing was happening, I lost a few lbs in the first couple of weeks, then nothing for a month then a 4lb loss which is my 1lb a week. Like others have said its a long process and just keep at it.
  • StevenLimmer
    StevenLimmer Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It doesn't sound like the issue is with your nutrition (which incidentally, is very low), it's with your exercise. You need to switch it up. Your body has likely adapted to the X-training, and given it's at a low intensity, you're getting little from. Find another training class, do some weights, go for a jog - it'll shock your body & your muscles, and will give rapid changes.
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Options
    SezxyStef wrote: »
    DebSozo wrote: »
    I don't cheat - even eating out I make it fit! Been on this diet a couple of months, but have yo-to dieted for years :( and have been exercising since day one (or this diet) plateau has been over a week now. I am more tired some days, thought it was the exercise but **maybe it's not enough nutrition? My weight always drops off the first few weeks then it seems to stall, and I haven't been dedicated enough to really monitor and work out what my body is telling me, so yet again the cycle is repeating itself. (Just slower than it did before I turned 40!)

**Try to up your fat macro percentage a bit (ex. eat oily fish like grilled salmon and/or put avocado on your salad) for a meal every so often. It is worth a try and works for some people for blasting a stall.

How is upping a macro suppose to help with weight loss?

I would love for him to try it tonight and report back so you can find out.

who is him? and one night doesn't make a different and you suggested it so do you not know?

I poo pooed it too until I tried it when I was on a couple plateaus during active weight loss on a LCLF diet. It works. It won't hurt to do it for couple days. I'm not saying to try something hazardous, BTW. He mentioned that he is on a low fat diet, and he wondered if it could be that he needs nutrients.
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat - even eating out I make it fit! Been on this diet a couple of months, but have yo-to dieted for years :( and have been exercising since day one (or this diet) plateau has been over a week now. I am more tired some days, thought it was the exercise but **maybe it's not enough nutrition? My weight always drops off the first few weeks then it seems to stall, and I haven't been dedicated enough to really monitor and work out what my body is telling me, so yet again the cycle is repeating itself. (Just slower than it did before I turned 40!)

**Try to up your fat macro percentage a bit (ex. eat oily fish like grilled salmon and/or put avocado on your salad) for a meal every so often. It is worth a try and works for some people for blasting a stall.

who is him? and one night doesn't make a different and you suggested it so do you not know?

I poo pooed it too until I tried it when I was on a couple plateaus during active weight loss on a LCLF diet. It works. It won't hurt to do it for couple days. I'm not saying to try something hazardous, BTW. He mentioned that he is on a low fat diet, and he wondered if it could be that he needs nutrients.

macros are irrelevant for weight loss...and each gram of fat has 9calories vs 4 for protein or carbs...however fat is good for keeping you feeling fuller longer as is protein.

The OP is a woman btw.

Changing macros doesn't help with weight loss...only being in a deficit helps.
  • DebSozo
    Options

macros are irrelevant for weight loss...and each gram of fat has 9calories vs 4 for protein or carbs...however fat is good for keeping you feeling fuller longer as is protein.

The OP is a woman btw.

Sorry OP-- I saw Thomas Kerry and thought that was first and last name.
  • tracey_chan25
    tracey_chan25 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    It could be that you are gaining muscle mass, so you aren't seeing the weight drop.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    It could be that you are gaining muscle mass, so you aren't seeing the weight drop.

Not if she's eating 1200 calories or less. I also don't see where she mentioned doing weight lifting or resistance training. Cardio alone won't build muscle.

I think the issue here starts with the logging, as everyone mentioned. I can also attest that the so called "verified" entries are wrong quite a bit of the time. Being extra conscious of that should probably do the trick.

ETA: and it's only been a week. :) Sometimes I can go 3 weeks before I see a weight drop. That's just how the body works sometimes. .
  • ogtmama
    ogtmama Posts: 1,403 Member
    Options
    It's only been a week!
  • DebSozo
    Options

The OP is a woman btw.

Macros and types of foods do matter with body biochemistry, however. Digestion of macros impact hormones and metabolism. I don't refute CICO, BTW, and biochemistry and thermodynsmics do coexist.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Almost everything has already been covered, I just want to add/paraphrase these points:

You choose your weight loss rate, and the faster you want to lose, the bigger deficit you'll need. 1200 calories is the absolute minimum MFP will give you. You don't lose faster eating more, but having a smaller deficit is easier to adhere to, and adherance over time is what matters, not what you can do for a week.

If you count calories, you need to log accurately and consistently. Check all entries.

You can enter any serving size you want - 1/4 is 0.25. 1/5 is 0.2.

Losing weight doesn't get more difficult as we age. We need less energy, so we have to eat less, but that amounts to about 65 calories per decade (10 years!). It has more to do with how long our habits have had to solidify, and how far off they are.

There are right and wrong answers, and you have received both. It can be hard to spot the woo, but weight loss/managment is in its nature extremely simple. You just need to focus on the things that matter, make sure you are doing what you think you are doing, do it efficiently, and be patient.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I have been in your shoes. Yo yo dieted all my adult life, blamed turning 40, then 50, then 60 on my inability to lose weight. The reality is I was either too impatient to lose the weight or my mindset was still stuck on all the negatives. I am finally doing this the way that works for me: logging, weighing and measuring all my food, experimenting with the numbers that MFP give me in terms of how much to eat, how much exercise I need and also the numbers in the data base for calories. I weigh myself every day just so I can watch how different behaviors affect my weight fluctuations and so I can keep track of the downward trend. Being "older" I started with 1200 calories/day and eating back some of my exercise calories. I'm down 36 pounds since January and at my goal weight. I upped my calories for a 1/2 pound/week loss (still only 1390 or so) because I'm still not sure how much I want to weigh. MFP is a great place to get information about this process. Be sure to verify advice, some of it is not correct and will just get you frustrated. When it's all said and done CICO is the magic formula, it works.
  • ilex70
    ilex70 Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I don't cheat - even eating out I make it fit! Been on this diet a couple of months, but have yo-to dieted for years :( and have been exercising since day one (or this diet) plateau has been over a week now. I am more tired some days, thought it was the exercise but maybe it's not enough nutrition? My weight always drops off the first few weeks then it seems to stall, and I haven't been dedicated enough to really monitor and work out what my body is telling me, so yet again the cycle is repeating itself. (Just slower than it did before I turned 40!)

Oh...it's been a week. Don't worry, it happens (all.the.freaking.time.) and it makes me absolutely crazy. My longest has been two full weeks so far but then I dropped 3 pounds in 3 days at the end of it. My favourite quote for this journey is Dory from Finding Nemo "Just keep swimming swimming swimming".

Great motto; works for pretty much everything.

• SezxyStef
    Options

The OP is a woman btw.

Macros and types of foods do matter with body biochemistry, however. Digestion of macros impact hormones and metabolism. I don't refute CICO, BTW, and biochemistry and thermodynsmics do coexist.

as I said Protein and fats keep you feeling fuller longer and that can account for eating less food if you feel full...

but macros for actual weight loss are irrelevant and the fact that people lose weight doing all sort of "diets" is proof of that. IE HFLC or Southbeach or 17 day diet...but the fact is this...as long as you are in a calorie deficit regardless of how the macros fall you will lose weight...how you eat can affect how you feel, energy levels etc but not weight loss...hence the statement Calories for weight loss, macros for nutrition and health, exercise for fitness and health.

and if you are going to claim they are please produce the peer reviewed studies backing that up.
  • DebSozo
    Options

The OP is a woman btw.

as I said Protein and fats keep you feeling fuller longer and that can account for eating less food if you feel full...

but macros for actual weight loss are irrelevant and the fact that people lose weight doing all sort of "diets" is proof of that. IE HFLC or Southbeach or 17 day diet...but the fact is this...as long as you are in a calorie deficit regardless of how the macros fall you will lose weight...how you eat can affect how you feel, energy levels etc but not weight loss...hence the statement Calories for weight loss, macros for nutrition and health, exercise for fitness and health.

and if you are going to claim they are please produce the peer reviewed studies backing that up.
    http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/
  • EvgeniZyntx
    EvgeniZyntx Posts: 24,208 Member
    Options

The OP is a woman btw.

http://news.harvard.edu/gazette/story/2012/06/when-a-calorie-is-not-just-a-calorie/

Macros aren't irrelevant but they are of relatively small relevance for most people if they meet basic requirements.
    Losing LBM will impact long term weight loss, reduced pituitary or thyroid function will impact weight loss, etc... but there are a variety of diets and a variety of macro ranges that can be used safely and successfully.

Macros are most likely more important in satiety and weight variance - how that affects people mentally in terms of consistency shouldn't be discounted.

The leaner a person is, the more important macros become.
  • DebSozo
    Options

The OP is a woman btw.

Macros aren't irrelevant but they are of relatively small relevance for most people if they meet basic requirements.
    Losing LBM will impact long term weight loss, reduced pituitary or thyroid function will impact weight loss, etc... but there are a variety of diets and a variety of macro ranges that can be used safely and successfully.

Macros are most likely more important in satiety and weight variance - how that affects people mentally in terms of consistency shouldn't be discounted.

The leaner a person is, the more important macros become.

Kerry said she is on a low fat diet. It can't hurt to up the fats for a bit and see what happens.
  • SezxyStef
    Options

The OP is a woman btw.

I got to Ludwig and LOL'd...seriously?
    http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/food-dining/2016/01/12/new-theory-weight-loss-looks-way-fat-cells-function/zjWz3ZilqfET3T4nonDpJP/story.html
    He is the one who believes overeating doesn't make fat...

Again peer reviewed please not some quack who's been on the Dr. Oz show countless times...smh.

For example

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22258266

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Your body is probably not getting enough calories and is going into starvation mode where it holds onto everything.

No, this is not accurate. This is a myth.

OP, unless you have a medical condition that needs attention, you are eating more than you realize.

Since you say you weigh all foods, do you log every single thing you eat and drink that has calories? We're talking about juices, catsup, mustard, mayo, etc.

Also, what about exercise calories? Do you eat any of those back? If so, and you use MFP, phone apps, or internet sources to calculate those, that can kill a deficit quicker than anything.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    I weigh/scan everything I eat. Have been dieting a couple of months. Lost 11 for first few weeks (was v happy) then it just stalled. I have cut out junk food and drink lots of water. Should I increase my calories despite what MFP suggests?

The answer is never increase calories if you aren't losing weight.

Yep. This.
  • Seffell
    Seffell Posts: 2,222 Member
    Options
    Guys, you're deviating from the topic.