Sedentary Job

Options
I thought I wanted to be a counselor, so I got a degree in psychology. I love it, but it is very sedentary. Does anyone have any ideas of something where I could be more active during the day?

Replies

• justsummie
    justsummie Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I've been told that if you need to add a little more excerise you should always park as far away from the door as you can anytime you are in a parking lot. It adds up.
  • sillymesillyyou
    sillymesillyyou Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    I have a sedentary job. Some jobs are that way. It's just the way it is. I try to get for a walk in my lunch break most days. I think that has helped my weight loss and fitness (alongside the exercise I do outside work hours).
  • quietlywinning
    quietlywinning Posts: 889 Member
    Options
    Short bursts of exercise between clients would also add up. You could do jumping jacks one time, push ups once, squats, burpees.....a different one each time for 5 minutes or so would add up very nicely throughout the day, and would increase strength, endurance, lung capacity, flexibility....oh, and burn calories and build muscle.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Could also jog in place for couple minutes at a time whenever u get couple extra minutes... if ur office has stairs, use them, take walks during breaks and lunches, even if just down the hall and back or around the building...most of ur activity will come from before/after work.
  • Tracy184
    Tracy184 Posts: 74
    Options
    You could sit on an exercise ball, or get one of those sets of pedals that you can pedal on under your desk.
  • jfinnivan
    jfinnivan Posts: 360 Member
    Options
    Crete our own niche: "The Running Counselor". Only take clients who agree to run as you counsel them!
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    sounds odd I know but can you sit on one of those big exercise balls while with clients and tone your core just trying to stay stable on it....I am sure they would think you are a bit wacky but why not right?

hand weights in between clients? exercise bands to do simple stuff too in your own office
  • mom23nuts
    mom23nuts Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    Crete our own niche: "The Running Counselor". Only take clients who agree to run as you counsel them!

OMG too funny maybe you could set people up that do want to do a group or individual workout with you and you can call it Sweat therapy!

I remember the movie What About Bob with Bill Murray and Richard Dryfus as the therapist to Bill Murray's neurotic stunted Bob and he finally got so sick of him he strapped a bomb to his chest and left him in the woods after Bob followed his therapist on vacation....he called Death Therapy...so why not Exercise Therapy.

Or create a last hour of group therapy that involves exercise that the clients could do with you and share their feelings. Field tripp to a gym with punching bags and an anger workout?

You gotta see that movie!
  • Jillmgk36
    Jillmgk36 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I'm a counselor too, but I work in a large high school so can get out and move sometimes. Can you maybe walk with your clients during sessions? Whose to say you have to stay confined to an office?
  • Tracy9377
    Tracy9377 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    That's a great idea ... thanks.
  • Tracy9377
    Options

I like that one .... and their therapy sessions won't be signed off until they can get through my aerobics class with 8 lb hand weights on a step with 2 risers AND talk about their Mother at the same time.
    That may not be insurance billable ....
    Or ... I could work for the court system and employ this as a punishment. "Punitive Therapy".
  • Tracy9377
    Options

I like that one .... and their therapy sessions won't be signed off until they can get through my aerobics class with 8 lb hand weights on a step with 2 risers AND talk about their Mother at the same time.
    That may not be insurance billable ....
    Or ... I could work for the court system and employ this as a punishment. "Punitive Therapy".

I'm kidding, by the way, ... In case someone gets the bright idea to sue me.