Can't breathe and can't be bothered

This is part rant, part asking for advice.

My rented student digs are full of mould and damp which is having a serious impact on my asthma. I've tried contacting the landlord but he has not responded to some messages and responded to others with a promise of being at the house at a certain time but then not showed up with no message to say why.

I cannot afford a gym membership so bought a yoga mat online a picked up some exercise DVDs at some charity shops and use them a few times a week. However, I now cannot breathe well enough to even think about doing them and this "can't do it" is slowly turning into "I just cannot be bothered to do anything at all." It is now so bad, my peak flow dropped to just 310 this morning.

I have an appointment with the asthma team in the 23rd but even that will not be an instant fix. Until either the landlord gets his behind in gear or the asthma team pull a miracle out their bag, what can I do to get some oomppf back? Getting my health in order is the priority but sitting around all day doing nothing cannot go on. Has anyone got any ideas for getting some energy and motivation back?


  • akf2000
    akf2000 Posts: 278 Member
    Timings indicate you might be UK-based?

    On the topic of the landlord you should speak to Citizens Advice or check their site for advice:
  • DebSozo
    DebSozo Posts: 2,578 Member
    Talk to your landlord to see if he will let you break your lease and still get back your deposit. My son got really sick, depressed, and lethargic due to mold in a rental home when he was in college. (The landlord never fixed it and ignored the students' requests to remediate.) Perhaps if you get it documented from your physician that you have a medical condition and cannot live and sleep in those conditions you will have more of a chance to recoup your money and move on.
  • RUNucbar
    RUNucbar Posts: 160 Member
    akf2000 wrote: »
    Timings indicate you might be UK-based?

    I am indeed, I'm based in North Yorkshire. I contact Citizens Advice, it didn't occur to me to do so, thanks!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Shelter website is full of good info and you can also get Environmental Health involved from your local council. Honestly, I think you need to sort your housing out (and so your health) as a priority before worrying about weight loss or fitness goals. I have asthma too so know the struggle when it's holding me back but pushing through is generally never the answer.
  • Dragonsurfergirl
    Dragonsurfergirl Posts: 8 Member
    gosh, you need to get outside and breathe some fresh air. Even if you are having trouble breathing can you go to a nice place - eg park and sit and watch and do some mindfulness breathing and then do a slow walk for about 10 minutes - it will improve your mood and your health until you can get the mould issue sorted.
  • sylkates
    sylkates Posts: 173 Member
    A hepa certified air filter helped me when I was having trouble breathing in a possibly moldy basement apartment for a few months. Temporary fix, but fast. Good luck.
  • suzyjane1972
    suzyjane1972 Posts: 612 Member
    akf2000 wrote: »
    Timings indicate you might be UK-based?

    I am indeed, I'm based in North Yorkshire. I contact Citizens Advice, it didn't occur to me to do so, thanks!

    Also shelter is great at giving housing advice...council environmental health dept/housing dept might help.
  • sallygroundhog
    sallygroundhog Posts: 134 Member
    I'm in the states. My university had an organization that dealt with tenants rights. It also had free legal advice. You could see if there is something similar at your school. You could document all the times you have called your landlord and his responses and no-shows.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,427 Member
    I would also get outside and walk.

    What is the cause of the dampness? I don't know if you can get a dehumidifier but maybe something like that would help reduce the dampness. Open windows.
  • beemerphile1
    beemerphile1 Posts: 1,710 Member
    If you are in an apartment that has unsafe living conditions and the owner isn't responsive, you should contact the local health department and housing services. The owner of the property is legally required to provide a safe environment.

    If able financially, you really need to move immediately. Can you put a price tag on your health?
  • lovebirb
    lovebirb Posts: 52 Member
    edited June 2016
    That's tough, I hope you figure out a solution. I know how it feels to not have control over your breath, I have had asthma for a year now after it being in remission from childhood. Your enivornment really has a big impact on your symptoms :( hang in there!
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    My daughter had a mouldy basement apartment one semester. We bought her a dehumidifier and sprayed with Mold Control spray. If you can't afford the dehumidifier at least consider the spray.