Ruined my breakfast

Options
Let me start off by saying that I have never used protein powders. I don't find them necessary (personally) as I am able to get adequate protein through food. However, everyone on here seems to use some sort of protein powder so when the drugstore in my town had free samples of hemp protein powder I decided what the hell I'll give it a try. It said right on the pack that u could put it in smoothies, hot cereal and baked goods. So I put it in my oatmeal with blueberries and cinnamon and topped with 1 tbsp of brown sugar.all I can say is YUCK! It was truly awful and ruined my breakfast. Never again! I have another free sample at home that is going to be pitched into the garbage.

Replies

• Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    Yea, not a fan of hemp protein.
  • chocolate_owl
    chocolate_owl Posts: 1,695 Member
    Options
    You definitely need to make sure you like how it tastes, and some taste terrible.

If it was a texture issue, I've found adding protein powder to oatmeal can be a bit tricky. I mix mine with a bit of water first so I don't get powder clumps, then stir the slurry into the oatmeal thoroughly before I add anything else.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options
    I'm not a fan of adding protein to anything. Enjoy your food and have a protein shake on the side if you need more in your diet.
  • browneyes1520
    browneyes1520 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    @Alluminati - no don't get me wrong, I'm in no way blaming MFPers. I'm just saying I tried it and realized it wasn't for me. That's all. Everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes and I discovered this is one of mine
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of adding protein to anything. Enjoy your food and have a protein shake on the side if you need more in your diet.

Agree
  • Alluminati
    Alluminati Posts: 6,208 Member
    Options
    @Alluminati - no don't get me wrong, I'm in no way blaming MFPers. I'm just saying I tried it and realized it wasn't for me. That's all. Everyone is entitled to their own likes and dislikes and I discovered this is one of mine

I know, I was kidding. I think we should still sue though. For funsies
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Some taste really good, some are pretty bad. I've heard many people say that hemp protein is usually some of the worst. That might explain why they're giving it away.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Protein powder is always hit or miss, flavor-wise. Always try a sample before buying a whole tub. Learned that lesson the hard (and expensive) way.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    Instead of hemp seed "protein powder," I like the whole, raw seeds.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think there are a lot of people here who don't use protein powders. I haven't and probably never will.
  • browneyes1520
    Options
    @RodaRose - I have tried the whole raw seeds and really liked them so I thought the hemp protein powder would be good, but turns outs it's disgusting lol. Good thing it was a free sample.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    The only protein powder I can stomach is unflavored whey. It's mild, nice texture, doesn't taste like anything except vaguely milky. I have put this in smoothies, pancakes, and oatmeal - oatmeal is the most problematic of these but is good if you make the oats cold with yogurt and water, maybe some milk, and fruit, nuts if you have them. Less good in hot oatmeal. Smoothies and pancakes, it makes them better not worse.
  • RodaRose
    RodaRose Posts: 9,562 Member
    Options
    @RodaRose - I have tried the whole raw seeds and really liked them so I thought the hemp protein powder would be good, but turns outs it's disgusting lol. Good thing it was a free sample.

It is o.k. to try new things.
    These are the ones I love: "Manitoba Harvest Hemp Hearts Raw"
    The last time I checked, they have the same as much calories and protein as the Hemp Protein Powder.
  • questionfear
    questionfear Posts: 527 Member
    Options
    Hemp protein is funky and not so great. Unless you need vegan protein powder, you'll probably have much better luck with a whey based powder.

And if you are vegan/allergic to milk, Vega tastes a ton better than straight up hemp protein. It still has some hemp, but it's not nearly as hemp-y, for lack of a better descriptor.

Hemp-y=gritty angry vegan rage powder. I tried so hard to get through a jar of hemp protein that I had, but if I didn't drink it immediately it would settle to the bottom of my cup and I'd have this enormous sludgy mass of grit waiting for me.
  • sllm1
    sllm1 Posts: 2,114 Member
    Options
    I want to like protein powder for convenience, but I can't get past the texture and metallic artificially sweetened aftertaste.
  • browneyes1520
    Options
    @questionfear - you hit the nail on the head, it was super gritty like having sand in my beloved oatmeal lol. I am not vegan or allergic to milk I only tried it cuz it was free.
  • LaToyaJones420
    LaToyaJones420 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I have tried so many proteins and didn't like any of them until now, I LOVE my Shredz protein, it's not chalky and it has an amazing taste!
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    _Waffle_ wrote: »

I think vanilla protein powder (whey) tastes good in oatmeal with berries. The one I use mixes really easily with my steel cut oats after they are cooked. I don't really like protein shakes on their own, so never have them. I normally get my breakfast protein in other ways (2 eggs plus smoked salmon or cottage cheese, most often), but if I have oatmeal I like to add a little protein.
  • cgfernandez329
    cgfernandez329 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Wow! I never knew protein powders could be such an issue, but then I'd never tried them until I started using one through a nutritional cleansing program (no artificial ingredients, no artificial sweeteners, and even a dairy-free - which I haven't tried) at the end of January (mainly because the company offers a 30 day full refund if not satisfied so I didn't have anything to lose) and have been using it ever since. Actually took advantage of the full refund because I didn't like one of the flavors. Anyway, I think it's delicious, mixes well (I use a blender with ice for a smoothie-like texture), and keeps me full, so I don't have cravings throughout the day.