How do you curb night time eating?

Options

Replies

• AlabasterVerve
    AlabasterVerve Posts: 3,171 Member
    Options
    When you get hungry is a trainable thing if you eat to a schedule and stick to it. Once I stopped eating at night I stopped getting hungry at night. If it's a habit you'd like to change exert a little willpower in the beginning and know in a few weeks the inappropriate hunger will stop.
  • 740p
    740p Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you so much for all of your helpful suggestions!
  • ScotsLass78
    ScotsLass78 Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    MissusMoon wrote: »
    perkymommy wrote: »
    Water
    Go to bed
    eat low calorie or no calorie fruits or veggies

I learned long ago that it's best to go to bed feeling a little bit hungry (not extremely hungry).

^^ For you. For some this is a recipe for disaster.

Me for starters! I never go to bed hungry now. I tried it before, but I'd end up rooting around the fridge about 2am :lol: Now a 10pm snack is the first thing I log in my diary every day. Everyone is different, and if keeping cals back from the day doesn't work for you, then I'd keep busy. I've taken up cross stitching, as if my hands aren't busy then they want to be feeding my face. Or maybe get out for a walk? That way you're away from temptation, and getting a bit of exercise. I also make sure I drink plenty of water, as I tend to want to snack more when I've not drunk enough.
  • an0nemus
    an0nemus Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    740p wrote: »
    I find myself eating after 8-10ish if I'm feeling peckish. How can I curb this habit? I feel like this will make a difference in my lack of weight loss.

Honestly? I made myself stop eating after a certain time. It's only a personal goal of mine to not eat anything after dinner. I do have snacks...but nothing after dinner

I was going to write a funny comment about eating dinner at 10PM...but the question is...what time does everyone eat dinner?

If I have dinner around 6....I need a snack by 10 or so...but if I can push dinner to 7:00 (or so), I'm usually ok....
  • kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ]

• kermax39
    kermax39 Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I save 300 cals for around 9pm, I usually have a toasted sandwich.....failing that I download a good book on my kindle and go to bed, if your an avid reader youll know what I mean.
  • dcc56
    dcc56 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Since I "gave up" ice cream at this time of night I have switched to sugar free popsicles. Discovered they have amazing tropical flavors too. It's still frozen or cold and tastes great...like my old buddy ice cream.
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I go to bed like an hour or two after dinner so I don't ever have this problem.
  • daworley
    daworley Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I struggle at this time too.

I try to keep around 100 calories back, but sometimes this just isn't enough.

I drink a cup of tea, I have a colouring book and do cross stitch. I've also taken to having a Gobstopper, one lasts for ages plus it's takes my mind off of eating the entire contents of the kitchen cupboard :-)

I have Gobstoppers, as well! I keep them in my desk drawer at work and have one or two throughout my day. They are a huge help in satisfying that desire to have a little something sweet and in my mouth.
  • JensJourney11
    JensJourney11 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    If I'm honest with myself, most night time snacking is because I'm bored/sitting in front of the TV. So I avoid it most days and eat most/all of my calories during the day and then dinner. I'm also in bed by 10pm so my evenings aren't that long which makes it easier to avoid eating junk.
  • CrabNebula
    CrabNebula Posts: 1,119 Member
    Options
    Go back to bed. I wake up hungry all the time, but I am usually so tired, the need for sleep always overrides eating. I can eat when I get to work, but I sure can't sleep there!
  • AmyWebb2
    AmyWebb2 Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    This might sound dumb, but I try to get to bed by nine so I can't eat, as I am sleeping. I drink 2-3 glasses of water around seven-ish to curb hunger. For me, this works, but it sucks being in bed when it's still light out some times!
  • TheVogonVegan
    TheVogonVegan Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I skip breakfast and allot those calories to after dinner snacks

I do this as well. I'm not super hungry in the morning and I am always hungry before bed. I save around 200-300 calories for snacks in the evening and limit it to healthy (or almost healthy) snacks. Some toast, rice cakes, veggies, fruit, etc.
  • lauraesh0384
    lauraesh0384 Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    an0nemus wrote: »
    740p wrote: »
    I find myself eating after 8-10ish if I'm feeling peckish. How can I curb this habit? I feel like this will make a difference in my lack of weight loss.

Honestly? I made myself stop eating after a certain time. It's only a personal goal of mine to not eat anything after dinner. I do have snacks...but nothing after dinner

I was going to write a funny comment about eating dinner at 10PM...but the question is...what time does everyone eat dinner?

If I have dinner around 6....I need a snack by 10 or so...but if I can push dinner to 7:00 (or so), I'm usually ok....

I usually eat dinner around 7-7:30 and I don't eat anything after 8 (to avoid boredom snacking). I start to get settled for bed around 9:30-10 since I have to wake up at 6am.
  • AngelinaB_
    AngelinaB_ Posts: 563 Member
    Options
    It's a terrible habit. Simply don't eat after dinner. Have a more substantial dinner so you don't feel hungry.
  • glitzy196
    glitzy196 Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    I brush my teeth with a really strong tooth paste, but i have ice cream..every single night.
  • queenbea77
    queenbea77 Posts: 402 Member
    Options
    dlkfox wrote: »
    I prelog my late night snack at breakfast and then fit the rest of the day in!

This. I always leave myself "wiggle room" so I can have a snack after dinner.

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    I genuinely don't have much desire to eat in the evening. Thinking about it, this might be because I'm a dinner person - I like to have a substantial meal in the evening, so I'll keep back about half my day's calories for that by having a lighter breakfast and lunch. You could try that?

It depends if you're eating because you're hungry or just because you like snacking at night. If the latter, you need to make a choice - save up calories for it, or train yourself out of it.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    AngelinaB_ wrote: »
    It's a terrible habit. Simply don't eat after dinner. Have a more substantial dinner so you don't feel hungry.

There is nothing wrong with it. Calories are calories, food is food and within a day, it makes no difference when you eat.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,345 Member
    Options
    I save enough calories for night time snacking, usually around 300 calories.