Cardio or strength training. Pick a side!

Options
124»

Replies

• tommytorpedo
    tommytorpedo Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    In my youth, 20 years old, I was strength training with free weights. I looked good on the beach. You can't quit though. I did, and continued to eat the same. My muscles turned to flab. I was in my 50's, weighed 290 lbs., had open heart surgery for triple bypass, and became a type 2 diabetic before turning it around. I started doing cardio and watching my diet. No sweets like candy and cake and eventually had to go low carb along with medication to keep the blood sugar readings down. I'd say it's ok to do strength training, but you must also include some cardio and watch your diet. If I have to choose one or the other I vote for cardio. It makes for a strong heart.
  • ziggy2006
    ziggy2006 Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    I tend to gravitate more toward cardio, but I figure that is because my upper body strength is pretty poor (lower body strength is somewhat better because I use those muscles when I do cardio). I joined a gym and have started doing some strength training. I'm using the machines for now, and hope to transition to dumbbells in August once I've build up a bit of a foundation. I do it because I know it has important benefits to my health. I hope as my strength increased, my enjoyment may as well. Few people enjoy doing things they are not good at.

On the other hand, one of my favorite cardio activities is running. I'm pretty sure I am somewhat dreadful at that. I am slow and lack the motivation to get much faster (I do, however, like to increase the distance I cover). I sincerely doubt my form is good, but as long as I'm not getting hurt and enjoying the movement, who cares? I do cardio because I have a condition that can cause significant respiratory issues, so I figure that being in poor cardiovascular condition could only make things worse, while maintaining a higher level of cardiovascular fitness might be helpful.

Try to incorporate some cardiovascular activity in the interest of good health. There are so many different options available - the important thing is finding one that you like, or are at least willing to do on a regular basis.
  • BillMcKay1
    BillMcKay1 Posts: 315 Member
    Options
    I do strength training because I love it. There is a rush getting under a heavy bar and lifting that sucker. I do light cardio everyday because it's good for your heart and gives me a few more calories to eat.

Lift Mon-Wed-Fri
    Mon-Friday 6am brisk 30 min walk (first 10mins straight uphill) +planking. Up to 2min 5secs.
    Started doing second 30min walk on my lunch break.

Sat-Sun technically off. Incorporating some hiking or a bike ride or whatever we feel like.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,841 Member
    Options
    Gotta do both, but if I HAD to pick just one I would choose cardio. My main focus is sport performance and really I can get more than enough strength training from cardio activities.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Team Cardio - FOR SURE! I've lifted for almost 30 years and have hated every minute of it.
  • CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    I like a mix of both... but this thing about the sweat and the hair. I have no idea what you mean! I sweat like a pig when I do strength training!
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    i am an absolute self-proclaimed cardio junkie. I'm a runner, and i love getting sweaty. Absolutely nothing better than the feeling of being drenched in sweat and so satisfied after a nice long run. Plus, i love to eat.
    Took the words right out of my mouth... especially the bolded part!

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I can't choose! I don't lift heavy, I do circuit/bodyweight/superset stuff (mostly Fitness Blender) so it all has an element of cardio. I love getting stronger but I bore easily so it's the perfect balance for me.

I also go for the odd run now and then too, that's in fits and starts though, no commitment.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,950 Member
    Options
    I'm just not into cardio these days. I injured my foot and it's taking forever to heal. I feel like the low impact modifications I can do during cardio make it too easy. And I just don't like cardio. I get bored, I don't like getting too sweaty, it messes up my hair. Silly, yes, but that's how I feel.

What are your thoughts on sticking solely with strength training? Can one still lose weight with only strength training? I work out five to six days a week. I do walk a lot. I have a dog so I average two hours a day walking. (Lucky dog) I'm trying to lose about five pounds.

Walking IS cardio. Two hours per day is a lot. Do you have an activity tracker? How many miles is that? It would be 6 miles for me with my (deceased) husky and considerably less with my neighbor's Shih Tzu.

But to answer your question, I am in the Both camp.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I'm just not into cardio these days. I injured my foot and it's taking forever to heal. I feel like the low impact modifications I can do during cardio make it too easy. And I just don't like cardio. I get bored, I don't like getting too sweaty, it messes up my hair. Silly, yes, but that's how I feel.

What are your thoughts on sticking solely with strength training? Can one still lose weight with only strength training? I work out five to six days a week. I do walk a lot. I have a dog so I average two hours a day walking. (Lucky dog) I'm trying to lose about five pounds.

Walking IS cardio. Two hours per day is a lot. Do you have an activity tracker? How many miles is that? It would be 6 miles for me with my (deceased) husky and considerably less with my neighbor's Shih Tzu.

But to answer your question, I am in the Both camp.

I don't know how many miles exactly. We walk at a pretty good clip. (1.5year old pit mix). I own a treadmill so I can guess by my experience using that thing that we walk at a 3.5. Sometimes a 3 if it's hot. So 6-7 miles.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like a mix of both... but this thing about the sweat and the hair. I have no idea what you mean! I sweat like a pig when I do strength training!

I think sweating while weight lifting means your body is working efficiently!
  • silverkitty777
    silverkitty777 Posts: 10 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Both.
  • MelissaPhippsFeagins
    MelissaPhippsFeagins Posts: 8,063 Member
    Options
    I do both because I LIKE both, but I lost my weight walking only. My joints couldn't bear the heavy weight before I lost 50 pounds. My husband lost from 270-ish to 238 just doing strength training. Recently, his doctor told him to add cardio and he seems to be stuck at 235. This might just be a normal plateau, but he is frustrated by it.