Salads and boredom

Options
Hey everyone . Lately all I really eat is salads and becoming bored on how to spice it up without using dressing.. Any simple options ?

Replies

• tulips_and_tea
    tulips_and_tea Posts: 5,714 Member
    Options
    Do you use any dressing currently? If so, what type? What else do your current salads consistent of? Knowing what you're having now would help us give you better suggestions as to variety.
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Use different mixes of greens, including things like spinach and kale
    Add chopped dill pickles and red or green onions
    Sprinkle a little kosher (or other coarsely-ground) salt and plenty of freshly-ground black pepper on top
    Mix in some black and/or pinto beans and your favorite salsa
    Top it with a Bolthouse Farms yogurt-based salad dressing (I know you said "without using dressing," but if your concern is fat and calories, this would be a good alternative to full-fat high-calorie regular or nasty-tasting light alternatives)
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I just use Dijon mustard and red wine vinegar in mine.
  • mommazach
    mommazach Posts: 384 Member
    Options
    balsamic Vinegar.
  • sarahsmiles737
    sarahsmiles737 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Balsamic vinegar and pepper... I love it... And a little really does go a long way
  • rakowskidp
    rakowskidp Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Just had a few more ideas. Almonds (I prefer roasted and salted). Dried fruit (cherries, cranberries, raisins).
  • kenyainez
    kenyainez Posts: 222 Member
    Options
    balsamic vinaigrette, Gorgonzola cheese crumbles, and raisins (sometimes).
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Add delightful protein. Like hot smoked salmon, boiled eggs, honey roast ham. And I squirt a bit of mayo over the top from a squeezy bottle. It only takes a tiny bit to make it look and taste better.

Incorporate cooked veg for different texture and flavour, like boiled asparagus, roasted peppers, baked sweet potatoes or frozen peas and sweetcorn (add an hour or more before and they'll be defrosted when you come to eat it, or dump in boiling water if you want to eat them right away). Also marinated mushrooms, never tried making them but I've enjoyed eating them!

But if you're bored with salads, why not eat something else? Variety is the spice of life, and there's no law that says you have to eat salad just because you're on a weight loss plan.
  • TheLittleRedHairedGirl
    TheLittleRedHairedGirl Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I made a yummy taco salad last night for dinner. I browned 97% lean ground turkey breast with a pkt of taco seasoning, put it over my romaine lettuce, cherry tomatoes sliced in half, 2 T of reduced fat shredded cheddar and 3 T salsa. I added ranch dressing and crumbled bite size tortilla chips to my hubby's. Next time I make it, I'll probably add in some sliced black olives.

I really like the salad dressing I use. It has a nice brightness to it without being too acidic, and it's full of flavor. It's made with Splenda so it's not loaded with sugar like traditional dressings and it's 5 calories per tablespoon. It's Maple Grove Farms of Vermont - Sugar Free Raspberry Vinaigrette With Splenda. It doesn't have an aftertaste either.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I get tired of the lettuce, so I'll switch up the base of my salad to a grain. But seriously...every salad needs some sort of sauce or dressing. It doesn't have to be calorific. You can use salsa, balsamic, lemon juice, the liquid from olives or peperoncicis . By GOD just dress your salad with something.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Vinegar (white, apple cider or balsamic)
    Salt
    Pepper
    Onion or garlic powder
    Oregano
    Or
    Smashed avocado
    Or
    Hummus
  • NatalieLJ
    NatalieLJ Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    I've mixed mine up recently by adding fruit, nuts, different meats/fish, feta cheese or even fruity cous cous and also swapping round the leaves and veg a bit too.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Make your own tasty low cal dressing? Apple cider vinegar, a little olive oil, herbs and spices, and maybe a dash of honey or sweetener. Or make lower cal honey mustard dressing. The variation in salads for me usually comes in the form of adding different proteins, or some little chunks of fruit. Peeled apple, melon chunks, pineapple chunks, kiwi fruit, even strawberries. When I have tuna in a salad I slice up pickles in there and also add olives. sometimes use raw spinach as one of the greens. reduced fat cheese, chopped boiled egg, various meats, pine nuts, you can have your salad on the sweet or savory side depending what you put in on top of the basic veggies. Cold or warm leftover steak on a salad is nice. Some fresh basil, some dill, don't be afraid to put kitchen herbs on the salad. If you like cottage cheese you can add a scoop of that for the protein. You can also buy light dressing then measure out one tablespoon of it and add to that, depending on the dressing type either vinegar, or a tbsp of milk (for creamy dressings) and herbs and spices, or a touch of sweetener or honey. That way you can dress an entire salad for like 40 or 50 calories. It opens up many flavor options.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    For taco salads you can combine lowfat or nonfat yogurt with some salsa. It tastes like using salsa with sour cream.
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I love adding sliced almonds, black olives, and artichoke hearts to my salads.
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I personally stay away from creamy dressings. Just preference though. Never been a fan. However, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy any dressing you like. All kinds of vinegars are good: red wine, balsamic, apple cider, rice, etc etc. You could also look into Walden Farms no calorie dressings. I also really like Kraft light dressings. As far as the actual salad is concerned, mix things up. Start with a base of romaine, head lettuce, spinach, kale, cabbage, or all of the above. Add your protein: taco meat, lunch meat, boiled egg, tuna, canned chicken, baked chicken, fried chicken, salami, pepperoni, bacon, shrimp, crab meat, clams, salmon, scallops, cubed ham, strips of steak... Then veggies: carrots, celery, peppers, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes. Consider some fruits: apples, strawberries, blueberries, grapes... Maybe some additional toppings: sunflower seeds, garlic, artichoke hearts, jalapeños, almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, banana peppers, shredded cheese... Lastly, your chosen dressing (or not) :)
  • alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I take a big bowl of lettuce, add ground beef or turkey, chopped up dill pickle slices, tomatoes, ketchup and mustard. Burger salad! You could obviously add cheese, onions, etc. Dress it up like a cheeseburger.
  • mtlj765
    mtlj765 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Save