Need to lose 102 pounds

Options
dana_mink
dana_mink Posts: 14 Member
Hi. I am not new to fitness pal but I am new to the community. I am looking for a support system and accountability buddies. I started this weight loss journey April 1st when I weighed in at my heaviest of 227 pounds. This was heart breaking for me because I have 3 children and at 9 months pregnant my heaviest pregnancy was 152 pounds. I have lost 14 pounds so far. For the last 3 weeks I have maintained my weight but I am having a hard time giving into temptation so I am not losing. Any advise or support?

Replies

• CherylG1983
    CherylG1983 Posts: 294 Member
    Options
    What are you doing to exercise? Portion control is key. If you don't have a food scale, I highly suggest picking one up.
  • dana_mink
    Options
    I go to Zumba class on Monday and Wednesday and lift weights on Tuesday. I just started doing this the end of May. I lost my weight so far by eating between 1000-1200 calories a day. I have a fit bit linked in to my fitness pal so it allows me extra calories when I work out.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Don't give up. This is a learning process and it takes time. Part of the process is struggling with temptation, giving in, failing off the wagon and climbing back on. If you can just keep on keeping on, you will get better at it. You'll learn tips and tricks and you'll learn about your own body, what keeps you satisfied and what leaves you with cravings.

I just got back on the wagon after 2 years off it. During that time I gained back more than the considerable amount I had lost. Going into "progress" and clicking "show all" reveals a heartbreaking tale of months of hard work and then the undoing of it all.

Denial of the facts kept me off here for a long time, but you know what? I know more now than I did then, I'm sticking to my goals better than I used to, I'm managing hunger more effectively, I'm managing to work parties and nights out into my goals, which I never really managed to do before. I reckon I'm going to kill it this time. I just wish I hadn't wasted all that time feeling like I'd failed and there was no point starting again. There was, because the failure has made me better at this, and crucially, I've finally realised that being on the path to a healthy weight makes me happier than when I was eating whatever I liked and tracking nothing and worrying about what I was doing to myself. I don't have to suffer a diet and wish for it to be over - doing this has changed things for the better RIGHT NOW.

This is a long, winding path. Keep the faith, and when you fail, remind yourself that every failure is a step on the road to ultimate success, and every day you struggle with hunger or cravings is a chance to learn more about your body and what it needs, until you become an expert at losing weight. You'll get there.
  • jennismagic
    jennismagic Posts: 243 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    dana_mink wrote: »
    I go to Zumba class on Monday and Wednesday and lift weights on Tuesday. I just started doing this the end of May. I lost my weight so far by eating between 1000-1200 calories a day. I have a fit bit linked in to my fitness pal so it allows me extra calories when I work out.

I'm going to be as gentle as possible when I say that you should probably be eating more than 1000-1200. At minimum, it should be 1200, unless you're the under supervision of a physician and there's a medical reason for the low calorie count. What you refer to as "temptation" is probably just your body's way of saying, "hey, I need more food!". :D

We're basically in the same boat, I've lost around 50 lbs, and have another 103 to go before I reach my goal.

Have you calculated your daily intake needs on MFP or another fitness website? I personally like Reddit's spreadsheet: https://www.reddit.com/r/Fitness/wiki/getting_started#wiki_calculate_your_tdee.
  • dana_mink
    Options
    Thank you for the motivation and inspiration. Jennismagic, I do log my food and my fit bit logs my exercise on MFP.