body fat percentage

Options
I was looking up body fat percentage and found out that my goal weight is unrealistic. According to my measurements and weight I'll be at 10% at 136... My goal was 125 to 130. Does that just mean that I have a more athletic build?

Replies

• yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    How are you figuring your fat free mass ?

You could be 26.5% at 136
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    No.

You have not provided enough information for me to say more than that.
  • robininfl
    robininfl Posts: 1,137 Member
    Options
    That is not enough information to make any sort of calculation at all. What is your height?

I am pretty tall, 5'9", and had 20% bodyfat when fit at 125lb, am still at 20% now fit and 136lb.

You are Very Very Unlikely to lose only fat and no muscle, water, skin, etc. at all, just like I was unable to put on only muscle.
  • dmstacey
    dmstacey Posts: 19 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I used a calculator that said based on my weight and measurements my bmi is 28%...
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    dmstacey wrote: »
    I used a calculator that said based on my weight and measurements my bmi is 28...

How did you calculate your body fat from that though? BMI and body fat are two distinct things.
  • dmstacey
    Options
    A corresponding calculator said that I would reach 10% at about 136lbs.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    It's not accurate.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    A corresponding calculator said that I would reach 10% at about 136lbs.

For that calculator to have a chance of being accurate, wouldn't you have to know what your current body fat percentage is?
  • shellen007
    shellen007 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How tall are you?
    How much do you weigh?
    Current body fat %? Or
    Waist size in inches?

Not sure you will get a helpful answer without providing the above info.
  • dmstacey
    Options
    Thank yall, I just looked at it and it's body fat percentage not bmi. I just want to make sure I'm being realistic. I don't care what the scale says really, I just want to be healthy, fit, and not scrawny looking lol. I'm 5ft 3, my waist is 38in and I'm currently 170.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    136 at 5'3 is generally not in the 10% body fat range unless you are a serious bodybuilder
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Thank yall, I just looked at it and it's body fat percentage not bmi. I just want to make sure I'm being realistic. I don't care what the scale says really, I just want to be healthy, fit, and not scrawny looking lol. I'm 5ft 3, my waist is 38in and I'm currently 170.

An online calculator isn't a reliable way to determine your body fat percentage.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'8 and 130 and around 20% and lift heavy
  • Hornsby
    Options
    Check this picture. GO from there.

body-fat-percentage-women.jpg
  • dmstacey
    Options
    Ok so I'm more like between 35 and 40... I honestly don't want to be ripped, or too skinny. Heck I'm 30 I don't expect to have my high school weight back!
  • dmstacey
    Options
    My friend says I look more like 35... Plus stretch marks Lmao.
  • janejellyroll
    Options
    Ok so I'm more like between 35 and 40... I honestly don't want to be ripped, or too skinny. Heck I'm 30 I don't expect to have my high school weight back!

I don't think you have to worry about getting down to 10% body fat. It is a goal that would require intense dedication and work and it isn't something that is going to happen accidentally or inadvertently. Unless a lot of it is muscle (again, something that would take a lot of work and dedication), you aren't going to be 10% body fat at 136 pounds. I'm a bit taller than you, weigh about 110, and my body fat is probably around 20%.
  • dmstacey
    Options
    I weighed around 120 in highschool, and looked like the 15-17% pic. I was in no way working out regularly.(think once a week PE class work out lol) I honestly don't think I want that again... I think I look better when I have a softness to me.
  • Hornsby
    Options

Nearly 40 and I make my HS self look like schmuck ;) you can too.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    At 5'3 your goal weight is perfectly fine.

Most women that i train find they look best at around the 20 BMI mark. for you that would be 115 pounds.