Stress Eating

Options
Hey everyone. I'm having a hard time staying within my calorie limit when I'm having a stressful day. I get cravings for anything sweet or salty. Usually I'm able to control my cravings, but when I'm stressed I get an "I don't really care about calories right now" attitude. Anyone have any tips on how to control cravings during a stressful day?

Replies

• WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Go for a walk. Grab a coloring book (some really neat adult ones exist!). Take a bubble bath. Paint your nails.

I try to do anything but sit and think about the stress.
  • hunsford
    hunsford Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Sometimes listening to music helps take my mind off of it.
  • James991223
    James991223 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I'm very much the same, truth is I haven't learnt the key to manage it either and although I am resisting it now (one of the main reasons I gained weight was due to stress eating) when I am stressed, my mood will get worse and worse until I sleep. The only thing that I can say is just try resist the temptation, perhaps find something to distract you for a while you're in this frame of mind and try find another way to with cope with stress. Sorry this isn't very helpful but it's something I could use some advise on too but ^^^ is my way of approaching this problem.
  • thedcubed1
    thedcubed1 Posts: 7,209 Member
    Options
    Going for a walk is definitely helpful especially if it's nice outside and you can get some sun. Combine that with a nice cup of coffee or tea (whatever strikes your fancy) and you're golden. Chewing gum is also helpful for me.
  • AnthonyX150X
    AnthonyX150X Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    You can incorporate those sweet and salty foods into your calorie goal. Don't let calories restrict your cravings.
  • gnarlykickflip
    gnarlykickflip Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    maybe you're relying on willpower too much? you could try getting rid of craving foods in your home, or substituting them with lower-calorie options that you also like. though i understand that not everyone has this much control over what foods are in their kitchens.

something else that might work is forming habits to keep you busy during craving times. when im done eating dinner, so all my calories for the day, i immediately wash all my dishes and then brush my teeth. i've been doing it so long that it feels weird not too. this makes it much easier to not snack after dinner or reach for dessert. but habit forming takes time, and it took me 2 months to get to this point.

another technique i use is delaying. if i find myself really craving something, i'll try to put it of. i'll say "if i still want it after i eat these carrots and drink a bunch of water, maybe i'll have a little" and usually i dont! it doesn't always work, but it does often enough for me.

good luck friend!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Manage the stress! Yoga, walking, meditation, phone a friend, write a blog, pray, see a movie ... whatever works for you. If you manage the stress you won't need to stress eat. Fix the underlying problem.
  • socioseguro
    socioseguro Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options
    Manage the stress! Yoga, walking, meditation, phone a friend, write a blog, pray, see a movie ... whatever works for you. If you manage the stress you won't need to stress eat. Fix the underlying problem.

+1.
    I manage the "emotional eating" urges by engaging some physical activity that will take my mind from the thought: eating will solve all my problems. It will not. I know that.

I have to control and manage my emotional response to stress.

If I can not actively do anything because I am supposed to stay in the same place for a while, I make myself a nice cup of green tea and drink it slowly
    Good luck in your healthy journey
  • megzchica23
    megzchica23 Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    I have had a lot of problems with this. So I don't give myself the ability to stress eat. I don't keep junk food around. I don't carry cash to work so the vending machine isn't a temptation. It takes a while of fighting the urge but you can retrain yourself. You also need to find other outlets for stress as many people have mentioned. Managing your overall stress helps reduce those days where you just feel overwhelmed by stress. I started a nightly routine to help me relax and get rid of stress. I stop after dinner, that is it. The end of my responsibilities. If my fiance asks for something I tell him to do it himself, I'm off duty. We go to bed and relax with our tv show and drink sleepy time tea. I also am trying to be more active and on weekends make sure no matter what to squeeze in some relaxation time for me. Just find stuff that works for you. Have quiet time for yourself, find constructive hobbies. I have found building houses in Sims is really, really relaxing and helps me to relieve stress. I also like to draw and make greeting cards. During these times I'm so focused on these tasks it's like I'm in another world and nothing from this world can bother me.