Boss/Workplace Issues!!!! Please Help

Options
2»

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Wouldnt it be hard for you to adjust when your boss is always an ahole....I move mountains in this position to be a rookie...I never get a thank you or a good job or even a hey what are you working on today...Just a oh you came in late...(even though I will stay over to get all the things straight for my ladies without having to bother someone else if its a complicated situation.
    My thing is never anything positive comes out of their mouth I only see them when its something negative.

In my experience this isn't all that uncommon, especially in a big company. You have a few choices. Quit and find another job. Get stressed out about it and try to "fix it". Address the issues/questions as if they were asked in a friendly manner and don't stress about it.
  • Guns_N_Buns
    Guns_N_Buns Posts: 1,899 Member
    Options
    First of all, all states are different, so you can file a grievance (at least in my state) on anyone, regardless if you even work directly with that person. It doesn't matter whether you've been disciplined by them or not. Second of all, less turnover in state work than private sector?
    giphy.gif

Man, what states are you guys working in!? Nooses? bad DOC?

I'm loving my state more and more...
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    Sometimes your boss isn't going to be your friend. Some of your co-workers might not be pleasant and that isn't a requirement. As far as calling in, a simple explanation that your last boss didn't require it and apology for not meeting this bosses expectations would be good. Even if your boss doesn't let you in the door in time, you are still scheduled to be there at a certain time. Bring a book to read, do some exercises, have a cup of coffee, but be there on time. Don't let the others in the office bring you down to their level as far as what you do.

Sometimes you just have to play the game, especially in a government/big corporate job.

The comments about interracial couples and gays are a whole different thing. That is just stupid on your bosses part. You could be gay, you were part of an interracial couple, you could have friends that are. That is one great way to get in trouble. I would document what was said and when and I would bring it in writing to HR just to be documented. CYA just to be safe

I have worked for similar bosses and it sucks. My advice is not to expend too much energy trying to make a great relationship. Work on a keeping your relationship a solid professional working relationship and keep it in that context.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Don't know about the last part there... but it sounds to me like you may not be communicating effectively. Instead of assuming you can come in late after putting in unpaid overtime, why not discuss with them ahead of time that you can "black book" your extra time in order to come in late, or ask for actual over time pay? OR just leave on time. Drop everything. Teach them it's not ok with you that you're not paid for your time. Don't set their expectations higher than you want them.

It's also standard policy at every company to call everyday you're sick, not just once (unless you're specifically told otherwise). So this is something you should keep in mind next time. Maybe give your company's policy manual a read. It's the first thing I do starting any new company. It's why they have it written down.

It's too bad they're being so negative about it, but you need to do what you can to keep lines of communication open and appropriate.

The stuff about the interracial and gay couples though - that I'd report to HR. Deal with it now before it get's worse. Document everything though, so you have proof for HR.

ETA: Someone above mentioned that HR is sometimes useless - you can ALWAYS go above HR. There are government entities that you can involve if needed, as well as mediators. HR is not the end of the line for something that is a true problem.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Honestly most of the OP doesn't sound that bad. Some bosses are just not as nice as others. If they want to be strict about rules (calling in, not being late) then just follow the rules. Or get another job if you want to work somewhere not as strict.

The remarks about gays and biracial marriage don't have to be tolerated. Report them to HR.

I agree with all of this.
  • tayter_tot7
    tayter_tot7 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I am not looking for a pat on the back but just gets on your nerves when you only see someone when they have something negative to say simple as that lol I just know that I work for a micro-manager that aways seems unhappy. Thats not me, I'd rather have a positive environment and I try but Lord knows they are making it hard. Everyday is some new thing that you want to do...For instance , they took me in the office and said oh you went to your car yesterday I didnt know where you were going...Uh to the warehouse to pick up my laptop, I wasn't aware that I had to tell you (I go to my car daily to use my cellphone), what made that day different. I go to records at the facility nearby..I don't have to report it to everyone. But since you don't like me for a couple reasons now I do? Thats what I deal with. I don't mind enforcing the rules but when you do it to pick on someone then it becomes a problem. Same day my co-worker that I'm close to comes outside to, I ask oh did you have to report that to the boss.." No, we dont have to do that, why would I do that?" Yea.....
  • slimzandra
    slimzandra Posts: 955 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you need a lateral move elsewhere.... This ain't the place for you.
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Aside from the boss being completely distasteful in comments, which I agree on reporting, you're going to have to suck it up. Unfortunately, you're going to have to play the game until you find something elsewhere. Make it casual when they're being jerks or bring humor to it without sounding sarcastic. They read you the call in policy, just jokingly say "sorry I ran out of Kleenex and had to improvise." But it does sound like you are testing your boundaries far too early. I'm sorry, but if you are to be there on time, whether they are ready for you or not, you do it. And that counts on whether you chose to stay later by your own choice. As a teacher, I am not empathetic to this aspect because I'm expected to do it with no compensation. But if you're late, both parties are being unprofessional, not just one.
  • upoffthemat
    Options
    It does sound like a pita boss to work for. I have been there and didn't enjoy it much. Like I said before though, just play their game. Keep everything on a professional basis.

Let your own good work be your pat on the back. It is a lot more fun working for a boss that gives positive feedback, but not all bosses are like that. Grin and bear it and look for a place to move on to if it becomes unbearable. That boss have already seen the picture of your other race SO and that may part of the reason for the treatment. It sucks, it isn't fair, and it probably isn't provable. I don't think there is a good way to change things, just ways to survive and adapt to the circumstances.
  • upoffthemat
    Options
    Just as an aside, I would be careful even trying to add humor with someone like you are describing. I haven't found them to have much resembling a sense of humor. Strictly professional.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Options
    Ugh. You might want to talk to Human Resources, while searching for another job or a transfer to another department. I have had some really nasty bosses and in the end, leaving was the only solution. I can handle a bit of prickliness but flat out abusive demeanor is just unacceptable.
  • Keepcalmanddontblink
    Keepcalmanddontblink Posts: 718 Member
    Options
    newmeadow wrote: »
    Ah, I think it's time to look for another job or transfer to another location. Right away.

Yup. Run. Dont walk.
  • Splitbygreg
    Splitbygreg Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    Well first off, I would be on time for work. Try not to be an inconvenience if possible. I don't really understand the whole door thing, but I would go out of my way to get it fixed. The innapropriate comments and such thing sounds like a lack of professional work atmosphere. I would just kinda talk to them about it in a professional and conversational manner, perhaps even educational. I would avoid talking about "feelings" and "perspectives" as neither pro gay interatial or negative viewpoints shouldn't have a place for discussion in the work place. Honestly current events outside of things related to your industry should really be left out of the workplace. After all, we are there to work not banter and gossip about nonsense. Give it some time, if u don't like it work on getting a transfer or new job. Chances are u won't change an entire departments mission and values. Idk what scale this particular atmosphere is at tho in terms of workforce. Well I rambled but I found if I can have fun and let *kitten* that doesn't effect my work get to me it seems to work out.
  • tayter_tot7
    tayter_tot7 Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    They sound like hillbillies.

You're a trainee right? Why do you care?

Frankly IDGAF but my whole thing is if you wanna be an a-hole go for it, but when you only say things to one person then that becomes an issue. My boss doesnt have to like me, but at least be professional. Plain and simple. You wanna do things when its convenient to you. Policy states that you have to put your days off on a vacation slip and get it approved. I did so...Their response, "oh you didn't have to do that." If you're going to be stuck on policy why not follow it all the time. Policy we can do that, but don't be an a-hole. If I bother you that much tell me why you dont like me, I'll listen and say ok and keep it movin'.
  • wilsoncl6
    wilsoncl6 Posts: 1,288 Member
    Options
    First of all the comments on gay and interracial relationships are totally inappropriate. I would report them to HR immediately even if it is only for record. I'm so sorry that you had to experience that. However I don't personally think they're out of line with formally reviewing the absence and late policy with you. I'm not sure how you expected them to know you would be out multiple days but as an employee it's your responsibility to know the policies of the company. If the sick policy is to call everyday you should call everyday. If you have a specified starting time and are not at work at that time it's their job to formally review the late policy with you. I'm only saying this because as someone who has been responsible for policy control for over 600 employees, casual conversations don't work and formal review and documentation of policy protects the employee from inappropriate discipline and the employer from abuse of policy.

It's not what they said but how they said it. And again that's just me coming to a new location I was previously a state employee, so the lecture was a bit much. And I do understand what you're saying. However before I got the job I had a bad accident and food poisoining that had my out of an undetermined amount of time and my boss did not have me calling because he knew I wouldn't be better overnight lol Its just the condescending tone behind it that makes me mad lol

OP, it could be that you're a little sensitive to how they approached you on these topics, especially since they may have handled it differently at your last location. As far as the sick policy, you can't expect your employer to assume that you'll just be gone a certain amount of days. When I'm sick and can't be in, I make sure to call every day if I know that I won't make it in. That way the manager/supervisor knows the situation and isn't guessing. Everyone answers to someone else, so what would have been the manager's answer if she had been asked your whereabouts? I guess she's at home sick? Concerning the late policy, if you're supposed to be somewhere at a certain time, just be there or inform your boss that you'll be late for whatever reason. It shouldn't be a habit or happen very often. I went through the same thing with my employer, who like you, informed me of their policy on timeliness. Like you, I assumed that 5-10 minutes late shouldn't matter over the long term, especially if I'm making that time up at the end of the day. Employers will never confront you about staying later than your usual time but will always have an issue with you coming in late or taking lenthy breaks. Nature of the beast. As far as them getting upset about having to let you in your space, that is a personal thing. Some people just don't like being put out and think you should find a fix to the problem and not rely on them to take care of it.

It just seems that you have an expectation of treatment and interaction based on your last position. Not every place you go will be the same, and as I learned from many years in the military, it isn't your bosses job to conform to your expectations but yours to conform to theirs. If that is how they run their ship, get used to it or move on.

As far as the racial and homophobic comments, report it to HR so it's documented and report it every time it occurs. Either they will have to do something about it or open themselves up to a lawsuit or EEO complaint. If it's a state job, I'm sure they have very strict equal opportunity guidelines and take the matter very seriously as no state agency wants to be sued for one of it's employees actions.