Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

Grocery store dysfunction

I have been on so many different diets , no carbs, low carbs, pale, gluten free etc so now when I go in the grocery store I don't know what to buy or do from years of dysfunctional eating. Any suggestions on how to shop functionally instead of dysfunctional?

Replies

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    What are your goals and what do you like to eat?
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    For dieting, I always keep my fridge and kitchen counter top stocked up with eggs, bread, cheese, salad, various nuts, dried fruits, coffee, tea...

For non dieting meals, I practically shop for anything I find interesting.
  • natalia50ish2014
    natalia50ish2014 Posts: 11 Member
    Thanks fiber note to self
  • natalia50ish2014
    natalia50ish2014 Posts: 11 Member
    My goal is to eat when I am hungry and not overeat when I eat and replace stress eating with other coping skills, I like fruit, not alot of veggies I don't like, meat seafood popcorn but have difficult time not overeating with carbs, sushi. Would like to lose 50
  • endlessfall16
    endlessfall16 Posts: 932 Member
    My goal is to eat when I am hungry and not overeat when I eat and replace stress eating with other coping skills, I like fruit, not alot of veggies I don't like, meat seafood popcorn but have difficult time not overeating with carbs, sushi. Would like to lose 50

That is great. My approach is kinda like that, too. " eat when I am hungry" and you may want to add pay attention to energy level. There's no reason to eat like a construction worker when your work is behind a desk!

• Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,423 Member
    Plan meals. Make a grocery list. Eat food you like.
    Log food you eat. Stick to your calorie goal.
  • French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member

One of the things I struggle with is being organized as I try to cook more. Here is a shot of the list I carry in my purse, with the ongoing things we always have on hand but are getting low; a very short area for splurges (the ez cheese is NOT for me but all the gelato is!) and then a column for the recipes I am planning for the week. I try to carry my lunch every day, so having simple, filling things like cheese sticks or guacamole packs is important, and I already know how those fit in my calorie budget. I also like to have frozen lunches on hand as I will make a large recipe of pot roast and portion it out, but can't eat the same thing day after day so this is an easy way to break it up.

I don't know if this is helpful or not, but sometimes I just feel hopeless when it comes to tackling the grocer, usually due to a complete lack of time, and this helps keep me on track and focused on the right kinds of calories.

It is also very important for me not to shop when I am hungry!

lcpc588rr41h.jpeg