Salads and boredom

Options
2»

Replies

• fishshark
    fishshark Posts: 1,886 Member
    Options
    i make a lot of taco salads.. change up the protien.
  • CeeCee972015
    CeeCee972015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Try this! Home made Pico DE Gallo, beyond beef, black beans, low fat shredded mozzarella cheese, half and avocado, romaine lettuce and fresh spinach!
  • 85Cardinals
    85Cardinals Posts: 733 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    feta cheese, olives, jalapenos, pepperoncinis
  • jennarandhayes
    jennarandhayes Posts: 456 Member
    Options
    My favorite lately is: spinach, shredded carrots, almonds, Feta, dried cranberries, shoestring beets, and Trader Joe's fat free balsamic vinegrette 25 cals for 2 Tablespoon (I only use 1).
  • perfectlyflawed0401
    perfectlyflawed0401 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    I personally stay away from creamy dressings. Just preference though. Never been a fan. However, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy any dressing you like. All kinds of vinegars are good: red wine, balsamic, apple cider, rice, etc etc. You could also look into Walden Farms no calorie dressings. I also really like Kraft light dressings. As far as the actual salad is concerned, mix things up. Start with a base of romaine, head lettuce, spinach, kale, cabbage, or all of the above. Add your protein: taco meat, lunch meat, boiled egg, tuna, canned chicken, baked chicken, fried chicken, salami, pepperoni, bacon, shrimp, crab meat, clams, salmon, scallops, cubed ham, strips of steak... Then veggies: carrots, celery, peppers, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes. Consider some fruits: apples, strawberries, blueberries, grapes... Maybe some additional toppings: sunflower seeds, garlic, artichoke hearts, jalapeños, almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, banana peppers, shredded cheese... Lastly, your chosen dressing (or not) :)
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    I personally stay away from creamy dressings. Just preference though. Never been a fan. However, that doesn't mean you can't enjoy any dressing you like. All kinds of vinegars are good: red wine, balsamic, apple cider, rice, etc etc. You could also look into Walden Farms no calorie dressings. I also really like Kraft light dressings. As far as the actual salad is concerned, mix things up. Start with a base of romaine, head lettuce, spinach, kale, cabbage, or all of the above. Add your protein: taco meat, lunch meat, boiled egg, tuna, canned chicken, baked chicken, fried chicken, salami, pepperoni, bacon, shrimp, crab meat, clams, salmon, scallops, cubed ham, strips of steak... Then veggies: carrots, celery, peppers, cucumber, zucchini, broccoli, cauliflower, tomatoes. Consider some fruits: apples, strawberries, blueberries, grapes... Maybe some additional toppings: sunflower seeds, garlic, artichoke hearts, jalapeños, almonds, cashews, pecans, walnuts, banana peppers, shredded cheese... Lastly, your chosen dressing (or not) :)

• perfectlyflawed0401
    Options
    Thank I so much will certainly try that !! I've beennisingnsimplenthings like squeezed lime or lemon and salt and pepper
  • perfectlyflawed0401
    Options
    Try this! Home made Pico DE Gallo, beyond beef, black beans, low fat shredded mozzarella cheese, half and avocado, romaine lettuce and fresh spinach!

I am going to try that today and buy the pica. Sounds DELISH ! Thank u !!
  • perfectlyflawed0401
    Options
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Make your own tasty low cal dressing? Apple cider vinegar, a little olive oil, herbs and spices, and maybe a dash of honey or sweetener. Or make lower cal honey mustard dressing. The variation in salads for me usually comes in the form of adding different proteins, or some little chunks of fruit. Peeled apple, melon chunks, pineapple chunks, kiwi fruit, even strawberries. When I have tuna in a salad I slice up pickles in there and also add olives. sometimes use raw spinach as one of the greens. reduced fat cheese, chopped boiled egg, various meats, pine nuts, you can have your salad on the sweet or savory side depending what you put in on top of the basic veggies. Cold or warm leftover steak on a salad is nice. Some fresh basil, some dill, don't be afraid to put kitchen herbs on the salad. If you like cottage cheese you can add a scoop of that for the protein. You can also buy light dressing then measure out one tablespoon of it and add to that, depending on the dressing type either vinegar, or a tbsp of milk (for creamy dressings) and herbs and spices, or a touch of sweetener or honey. That way you can dress an entire salad for like 40 or 50 calories. It opens up many flavor options.

I absolutely love your ideas and especially for the tacos !! Since that's a fave of mines !! Thanks love , will do
  • perfectlyflawed0401
    Options
    BZAH10 wrote: »
    Do you use any dressing currently? If so, what type? What else do your current salads consistent of? Knowing what you're having now would help us give you better suggestions as to variety.

Because in watching my sugar intake and carbs intake I typically do something simple like line or lemon . Black pepper sea salt or olive oil and vinegar .. I'm Cuban so I miss some spice !!
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    Add different veggies. I always am switching up the veg. Radish, cucumber, zuchini, broccoli, yellow zuchini, green pepper, tomato, cauliflower, beets, celery, broccoli slaw, carrots, green beans, etc.

Sometimes I switch things up by roasting some of the veggies and topping the salad with roasted ones. (This is REALLY good). I especially like roasted riced cauliflower or broccoli/cauliflower or zucchini to put on top :)

So many combinations I never get bored! I also add different spices to each salad. Onion/garlic/italian/mrs.dash varieties/etc.
  • kendahlj
    kendahlj Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    Lots of great tips here. But ultimately, salad sucks without dressing. Find a low cal you like or work your favorite into your daily calorie allowance
  • virscott
    virscott Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Pomegranate is yummy on a salad