Ice Cream alternatives?

Options

Replies

• heystudmuffin
    heystudmuffin Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Avocado! I accidentally discovered this concoction & fell in love. I was originally making avocado chocolate pie but I decided to freeze the remaining filling & it turned into perfect ice cream im talking ben & jerry style lol i mixed avocado with cocoa powder & you can do either agave nectar or sugar for sweetness.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    fitpal4242 wrote: »
    There is really no substitute. Ice cream is my kryponite as well.. Only thing that works for me to control it is buying individually portioned ice cream bars/ice cream sandwiches, and having 1 for dessert (then immediately brushing my teeth). Generally 150-200 calories. Much better than keeping something I can spoon from around- because that makes it 99% likely I will have more than 1 serving.

This is what I do also. Single servings.

I figure that I'm not going to be substituting mashed bananas, avocado or what have you forever. Substitutes won't be a lifestyle change for me. So I need to buckle down & get used to the fact that ice cream has a lot of calories. I can find room for small portions only.
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
    randomtai wrote: »
    There are no substitutes.

This. I've found I can fit 1 or 2 servings weighed out into my day, depending on the brand. Edy's (Dreyer's, depending on where you live) has a Slow Churned line with less fat and sugar than their regular line, and it's about 100-130 calories for a serving.
  • pdxhak
    pdxhak Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Gelato :)
  • ktx7villa
    ktx7villa Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Get Skinny Cow. Low fat and only 15 g of sugar but just dont over do it. Weight loss = Under 2,000 or gain 2000+
  • annaheyoolay
    annaheyoolay Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Gelato! Talenti makes awesome gelato, I just had a 1/2 cup of key lime- amazing- for 210 cals. vs. 290 for 1/2 cup of the Ben & Jerry's I had in my freezer.
  • ltssharon
    ltssharon Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    stevidaft wrote: »
    Hello! Im doing pretty great eating clean EXCEPT ICE CREAM is my kryptonite! I reach for the pint a couple times a week and its undoing my progress. Any alts for ice cream you guys have? I've been trying frozen banana recipes, but haven't quite come across something that gives me the warm and fuzzy feeling I get from ice cream. Ha!

You have the right person here to answer that question. First, freeze an ice cube tray full of skim milk. Now put 4 tablespoons of Hershey's cocoa (not the beverage kind, the old fashioned non sweet kind) in a food processor. Sprinkle with stevia or some artificial sweetener. Add 2 tablespoons of milk or leftover coffee. Put the frozen ice milk cubes in. PROCESS! I swear to anybody it is better than ice cream. Make more or less chocolate , experiment with flavors if you wish. I stick with chocolate. I used to put half a FROZEN banana in it and some instant coffee. Then I dropped the frozen banana to save calories. Please Please try it.
  • mommy25kiddos
    mommy25kiddos Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Halotop in organic section. It's 7 grams of protein and 70 calories for a 1/2 scoop. If you manage to devour the entire pint it's only 240 calories. It's low sugar and tastes like frozen yogurt. Our kids love it too. My favorite flavors are mint chip and birthday cake.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Halotop in organic section. It's 7 grams of protein and 70 calories for a 1/2 scoop. If you manage to devour the entire pint it's only 240 calories. It's low sugar and tastes like frozen yogurt. Our kids love it too. My favorite flavors are mint chip and birthday cake.

Manage? I've never eaten less than a pint in a sitting.
  • CeeCee972015
    CeeCee972015 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Coconut milk ice-cream!
  • xXsilverswallowXx
    xXsilverswallowXx Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey I came across some amazing dairy free ice cream it's called almond dream, I didn't think it would be nice but it's amazing, I've only had the salted caramel but its far and at over half fat sugar and calories of Ben and jerrys you cant go wrong..... I miss Ben and jerrys though
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,573 Member
    Options
    Pretty sure the coconut and almond ice creams have just as many calories as normal ice creams. Maybe less than chunky Ben and Jerrys and the like but most chocolate and plain flavors will.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    jwcanfield wrote: »
    Breyers has portion-control 100 calorie snack cups (chocolate and vanilla). They're really small, but they're real ice cream and tasty.

I love frozen grapes as someone mentioned above! :yum:

Regarding ice cream I've purchased the tiny containers that are a single serving/ 1/2 c size. A number of companies now sell them: Breyers, Ben & Jerry's, Edy's, Häagen-Dazs, Blue Bunny etc. These run $.99 - $1.49 each in my area.

I picked up Breyers recently and it was fabulous (Häagen-Dazs is another favorite, because well, only 5 ingredients in the 5 basic flavors).. you pop open the lid and there's a cute tiny spoon that is attached to the lid that you snap off and use to eat it. It was hilarious to find that and it's perfect for the size!

It was a perfect size portion so I tasted and enjoyed every bite instead of in the past eating a big bowl of it and only tasting the first couple bites. Plus I'm still giggling about the teeny tiny spoon and the cute carton it comes in! :D

I would absolutely buy one again. I'm not ready to bring a quart in my house so I'm happy bringing one serving in. Sometimes I buy it, toss it in the freezer and forget all about it, find it later and it's a nice surprise. :p

• shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    My current obsession:

Cocoa Berry Pops
    1 cup milk (I used 2%)
    1 scoop protein powder (vanilla)
    4 tablespoons dark chocolate hot cocoa mix
    4 large strawberries

Slice the strawberries and divide among your popsicle molds.

Blend the milk, protein powder and cocoa mix until smooth

Pour into molds and freeze!
    My mold makes 8, which ends up at 61 calories each. soo good.
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I'm against ice cream replacements on general principal. I was trying to make my own, lower calorie until I realized that the store did a better job. Now, I only make super calorific creamy goodness when I splurge and make it at home.
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    Best I've really managed is throwing frozen strawberries in the food processor with a little milk and vanilla. Strawberries are lower cal than bananas. Then that's the fruit portion of whatever meal it's most adjacent to. It is more like a thick shake than actual ice cream. Good enough for me tho.
  • auddii
    auddii Posts: 15,357 Member
    Options
    Updated because I tried the protein fluff. Not an ice cream replacement; just find an ice cream you like and eat a single serving.
  • baileydanae69
    baileydanae69 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Yasso bars! 80-100 calories for one and its a regular sized ice cream bar, and there are tons of flavors ( cookie dough, java chip, vanilla, sea salted caramel, chocolate, coconut, oreo, etc) and so good!