Marijuana and weight loss

Options
mhlew
mhlew Posts: 377 Member
If avoiding the munchies- does this speed up your metabolism if you smoke weed? Maybe at night and sleep through the munchies? Just curious if this is a myth or if marijuana has no affects on weight loss

Replies

• WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Nah, it doesn't help.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Nothing speeds up your metabolism enough to lose weight on it's own.
    Eating less calories than you burn, that's the answer.
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I think crazy is the drug that causes weight loss lol :D but I don't see marijuana doing any of :dizzy:
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    misskarne wrote: »
    *facepalm* Yes, let's just skip the weighing and logging food and go straight to the illegal, dangerous drugs, shall we?

Come on...

You do realise the more it's legalised the more it's being found to be beneficial to a whole plethora of health conditions right? It's not crack!

In my misspent youth I smoked a fair amount, munchies made me gain, ha! I don't know of anyone who smoked a lot and lost as a side effect really. I don't think it has an impact in that way. Causation vs correlation and all that.
  • Larissa_NY
    Larissa_NY Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    That marijuana, y'all, it will make you drink, smoke, wear short skirts (yes, men, even you) and leap out skyscraper windows. Haven't you seen that documentary Reefer Madness?

What it probably won't do is make you lose weight on your own. It might make you lose track of time so you don't engage in bored snacking as much, but that's about the only way I can think of that it would help. To my knowledge, though, there haven't been any clinical trials, so who knows?
  • MorganMoreaux
    MorganMoreaux Posts: 691 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Marijuana may help some people lose weight if it helps to lower their anxiety, as some people comfort eat. However, in my experience the munchies certainly offset the relaxation and kept me weight neutral.

I also think the levels of munchies depend on the strain, but as it isn't legal in my state I don't have much first hand experience outside of when I was at university years ago lol.

To the people stating its illegal - not everywhere including our nation's Capitol where medicinally its legal. Please read up on the benefits and risks along with legal status before you make blanket statements about its harmful effects as it genuinely helps many people live normal functional lives.

• Queenmunchy
    Queenmunchy Posts: 3,380 Member
    Options
    I don't think marijuana can speed up your metabolism, but if you want to avoid "the munchies" talk to your dispensary about which strains would be right for your goals.
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »
    *facepalm* Yes, let's just skip the weighing and logging food and go straight to the illegal, dangerous drugs, shall we?

Come on...

ah yes, you must be an older person who has been fear mongered into believe that illegal = bad/immoral/wrong in every circumstance, EVER. *eye roll* It's a good thing you're not in charge or i guess a bunch of things would still be illegal (you know... things we now know to be wrong... )

Not only is marijuana safe, it can be extremely beneficial to many people, and it IS legal in many places all over the world (including, and i'm assuming here, in the united states).

Anyways, to the OP, no marijuana will not speed up your metabolism. No, you won't magically burn more calories just because you avoided eating afterwards.

Sounds like you're thinking of Amphetamines (You know, like some LEGAL DRUGS: ritalin, adderall, vyvanse, etc.). We know that these types of drugs cause the effect you're talking about and there have been numerous ones manufactured specifically for weight loss which were (you guess it) legal and given by physicians. These include phenfen (which caused heart attacks), and now currently phentermine (which has it's own host of issues).

My recommendation is to worry less about these minor things and focus on what we know DOES work and that's tracking your food and exercise. I do want to mention, however, marijuana can be helpful for some in working out for extended periods of time, focusing more on their workouts, and feeling less fatigue/pain during workouts. So atleast it's got that going for it, which is nice.

Hey! Maybe the person isn't "old" just uninformed. And like ANY other drug if misused can be harmful.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    marm1962 wrote: »

Come on...

ah yes, you must be an older person who has been fear mongered into believe that illegal = bad/immoral/wrong in every circumstance, EVER. *eye roll* It's a good thing you're not in charge or i guess a bunch of things would still be illegal (you know... things we now know to be wrong... )

Not only is marijuana safe, it can be extremely beneficial to many people, and it IS legal in many places all over the world (including, and i'm assuming here, in the united states).

Anyways, to the OP, no marijuana will not speed up your metabolism. No, you won't magically burn more calories just because you avoided eating afterwards.

Sounds like you're thinking of Amphetamines (You know, like some LEGAL DRUGS: ritalin, adderall, vyvanse, etc.). We know that these types of drugs cause the effect you're talking about and there have been numerous ones manufactured specifically for weight loss which were (you guess it) legal and given by physicians. These include phenfen (which caused heart attacks), and now currently phentermine (which has it's own host of issues).

My recommendation is to worry less about these minor things and focus on what we know DOES work and that's tracking your food and exercise. I do want to mention, however, marijuana can be helpful for some in working out for extended periods of time, focusing more on their workouts, and feeling less fatigue/pain during workouts. So atleast it's got that going for it, which is nice.

Hey! Maybe the person isn't "old" just uninformed. And like ANY other drug if misused can be harmful.

I dont know, sounds exactly like something the old crazy racist lady who lives down the street from me would say.

IN ANY CASE, you can't overdose on marijuana. I wonder how it can be "misused".
  • Mystical64
    Mystical64 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    st476 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure, but I know that my friend starting smoking at least 3/4 times a week and lost a lot of weight (without dieting). Her sister used to do the same thing and was really skinny too. She got pregnant and stopped smoking weed and gained a lot of weight back though, (more than just pregnancy weight). I wouldn't recommend doing it for that reason. I don't even know if any of that is related to weed for sure, but that's just what I noticed.
    And the person who said it's an "illegal, dangerous drug"... It's not even illegal everywhere and it definitely isn't any more dangerous than smoking cigarettes.

Are you sure they were smoking weed and not meth? Just asking??? :wink:
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    Options

Come on...

I dont know, sounds exactly like something the old crazy racist lady who lives down the street from me would say.

I never said anything about overdose, and I've seen a few friends and family smoke so much they couldn't see straight and that can lead to dangerous situations (which to me is a misuse of a drug, whether it's legal or not)
  • snowflake930
    snowflake930 Posts: 2,188 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    You lose weight by eating less calories than you burn.
    I don't see how smoking marijuana could aid in weight loss.
    In some states, it is prescribed as a drug to increase appetite, suppress nausea, and ease pain for some cancer patients.
    Long term use of marijuana is open for debate as to the health risks, and it is illegal in most of the United States.
  • jammer1963
    jammer1963 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I heard you can lose A LOT of weight if you do Meth but I won't use that either as my weight loss program.
  • fr33sia12
    fr33sia12 Posts: 1,258 Member
    Options

Come on...

Just because something is legal, doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. Alcohol is legal, cigarettes are legal!
    Yes maybe Marijuana can help lots of medical conditions and if it were dispensed in chemists for these medical reasons that could work, but a lot of people smoke Marijuana for fun, or to look cool, or just to get high, and not for any medical reason. I know from experience (someone close to me) that started off smoking a so called harmless drug and then lead to other drugs when they no longer get what they wanted from weed. I have a neighbour smokes weed and everytime he does I hear him practically coughing up his lungs (and smell the disgusting aroma coming from it) So from experience Marijuana isn't always the harmless drug everyone thinks it is.
  • sandraashcroft6
    sandraashcroft6 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Come on...

Just because something is legal, doesn't mean there's nothing wrong with it. Alcohol is legal, cigarettes are legal!
    Yes maybe Marijuana can help lots of medical conditions and if it were dispensed in chemists for these medical reasons that could work, but a lot of people smoke Marijuana for fun, or to look cool, or just to get high, and not for any medical reason. I know from experience (someone close to me) that started off smoking a so called harmless drug and then lead to other drugs when they no longer get what they wanted from weed. I have a neighbour smokes weed and everytime he does I hear him practically coughing up his lungs (and smell the disgusting aroma coming from it) So from experience Marijuana isn't always the harmless drug everyone thinks it is.

Agree! Everything legal not healthy. Nobody sober suddenly starts on the "heavier" drugs, first time you snort oxycontin or try meth I can guarantee you they are already under the influence. IMO pot makes people unmotivated for many things, whether it be school,work. or life in general.
  • st476
    st476 Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Mystical64 wrote: »
    st476 wrote: »
    I'm not really sure, but I know that my friend starting smoking at least 3/4 times a week and lost a lot of weight (without dieting). Her sister used to do the same thing and was really skinny too. She got pregnant and stopped smoking weed and gained a lot of weight back though, (more than just pregnancy weight). I wouldn't recommend doing it for that reason. I don't even know if any of that is related to weed for sure, but that's just what I noticed.
    And the person who said it's an "illegal, dangerous drug"... It's not even illegal everywhere and it definitely isn't any more dangerous than smoking cigarettes.

Are you sure they were smoking weed and not meth? Just asking??? :wink:
    99% sure

• rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    fr33sia12 wrote: »

Come on...

If someone has something so wrong with their life that they need to self-medicate to escape their reality they are going to do it regardless of what the substance is.

My aunt who was addicted to pain killers and couldn't get them anymore started taking 20, 30, and more benadryls a day.

My point is, that it is not marijuana that caused this person to seek something like this out but their *kitten* life circumstances. This is why plenty of people abuse alcohol and legal drugs (as i said). Marijuana itself is harmless and if anything, significantly less dangerous than alcohol as it does not cause physical dependence/addiction.

It doesn't matter what the substance is (even FOOD) if someone wants to do this just to get by they will.
This discussion has been closed.