Help please, 1200 for 40 days and not a lb!

Options
I started my diet and it was going really well, I lost 10 lbs over six weeks and was really pleased. I have eaten whole foods, fruit, veggies, meat etc
Over the last 40 days I am still only eating 1200 per day and only gone up to 1500 on some days I.e a dinner out Max 4 times in 40 days .
I want some advice and not comments like you must be eating more because even the calories in my squash go into my tracker and everything is weighed!!
Help please :)

Replies

• Shana67
    Shana67 Posts: 680 Member
    Options
    Are you weighing your food?
  • amyclasby232
    amyclasby232 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Yes I am weighing it and entering it all in as I go
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    Are you doing anything different now than you were over a month ago??
    A stall for that long does raise logging questions except you've already said you do that...
  • amyclasby232
    Options
    The only difference I have is a change of job but they are both not physical and desk jobs. I've tried to not get disheartened but today is day 40 and I'm not sure what to do next.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    edited June 2016
    Options
    ...OK well you can ride it out for a few more weeks doing what you have been. I wouldn't want to suggest lowering your calories as they are fairly low as it is. Hopefully you'll find you'll start losing again....can you squeeze in some sort of daily workout? Say a 20 min resistance training workout like the 30 day shred - that would help create a bit more of a deficit plus you'll see the benefits from that within a matter of weeks :smile:

When we change from normal routine the body adapts but it takes time.( It's a bit like starting maintenance after being in deficit for so long, it takes the body a while to work out how to use up the extra cals/energy.) Hoping that's the case for you and the scale starts moving soon.

Ruth
  • Dali032484
    Dali032484 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Hi! You haven't lost a single pound in 40 days. Are you working out? What types of workouts do you do? If you lift weights you may be cutting still, but you should still lose inches. Can you give more info as to what else you do to lose weight? How much do you weight and what is your goal weight?
  • ingridrmena
    ingridrmena Posts: 1 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I found this guy on Youtube Michael Kory, and he talks about the macros. I have reached a plateau too, and he provides good ways in how to count them and how many calories you should be eating based on your MBR. You should also try to work out. He suggests to do weights and after the weights to do cardio. I do CrossFit, but lately, not much but I will be adding some jogging so I can shed a bit faster. You are probably not eating the right amount of calories and your body is acting up. Google how to calculate your BMR and will give you the number of calories you should be eating. I noticed here, is giving me a low number but CrossFit is intense and those days I exercise, I should eat a bit more.
  • upoffthemat
    upoffthemat Posts: 679 Member
    Options
    What is your current height and weight?
  • Renora
    Renora Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hey, that is a great start so well done! At the start you will always find weight drops off quicker and then it will slow down a little. Don't forget to update your details as you lose weight as you now have a new weight. My husband lost 20kg using MyFitnessPal and his daily calorie requirements were constantly getting lower as a smaller body needs less energy.

If you have done this and still find you are not losing weight then make sure you double check all your calculations. We discovered small mistakes here and there, and once we added up all these errors we discovered he was eating hudreds of calories more than he should have been. For example, I had the weight correct on one his cereals but later discovered I'd been reading the actual box wrong!

Of course, you might consider having a medical check with your doctor as well. Are you taking any medications that could impact weight loss? Any medical conditions?

Best of luck :smile:

• gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,590 Member
    Options
    I would go to the doctor and get checked to make sure nothing funky is going on. Then I would switch up my workout routine to something new and different to challenge my body.
  • Ws2016
    Ws2016 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    makingmark wrote: »
    What is your current height and weight?

This.
  • amyclasby232
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I'm 5ft2 and currently 11 stone exactly. I will try adding more exercise to my routine and hope I see a difference!! I don't work out but I'm active, I play tennis twice a week for two hours at a time and walk at the weekends.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    You should also be taking body measurements. You may not be showing a loss but water retention can mask that, you may still be losing inches off your body. I take mine every two weeks.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    Options
    I'm 5ft2 and currently 11 stone exactly. I will try adding more exercise to my routine and hope I see a difference!! I don't work out but I'm active, I play tennis twice a week for two hours at a time and walk at the weekends.

Tennis for 2 hours at a time IS a great workout :smile: as is walking.

Have you tried taking measurements as already has been mentioned? You could be losing inches which is even better than losing weight on the scales, that's what everyone else will notice :smile:
  • Jozzmenia
    Jozzmenia Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    Shana67 wrote: »

It's weird to me when people blame food weighing and logging. Nobody is perfect but I always lose when I'm logging and NEVER weigh my food. Granted I do alot of protein shakes, chobani, things like that, but I'm not going to weigh salmon and spinach it maybe it's a bit larger than my fist. If you log everything I find it hard to believe that an oversized piece of chicken is the problem after 49 days... It could be the working out but 1200 calories should be enough to to lose after 40 days. I feel like she's slowing her metabolism and should workout AND make sure she's getting enough calories...
  • TheBigFb
    TheBigFb Posts: 649 Member
    Options
    Are you telling the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth?
  • Gamliela
    Gamliela Posts: 2,468 Member
    Options
    I started losing with 1600 to 2000 calories a day back in December. As I have lost, now I am smaller, so I keep having to go lower and lower calories a day to experience any weight loss. I don't mind slow loss, but, like you NO loss is not acceptable to me either. Best wishes as you venture into more and more added excersize and eventually weight lifting like everyone else here. :|
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »

It's weird to me when people blame food weighing and logging. Nobody is perfect but I always lose when I'm logging and NEVER weigh my food. Granted I do alot of protein shakes, chobani, things like that, but I'm not going to weigh salmon and spinach it maybe it's a bit larger than my fist. If you log everything I find it hard to believe that an oversized piece of chicken is the problem after 49 days... It could be the working out but 1200 calories should be enough to to lose after 40 days. I feel like she's slowing her metabolism and should workout AND make sure she's getting enough calories...

That just means you're good at estimating your portion sizes. Not everyone is. Many times when people aren't losing, especially when they say they're on 1200 calories, they're using measuring cups (which can often give you more than you think) or they're estimating and what they think is 4 ounces of chicken is really 7 ounces.

As for slowing her metabolism down, adaptive thermogenesis takes a long period of time to really affect someone. Much longer than six weeks.
  • pclf58
    pclf58 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Well, just some thoughts. If I go over my limit on calories even for one day, it takes me a long time to recover. So possibly you're higher calorie days are causing a problem.

Maybe try changing up what you eat. Are you eating a lot of carbs? Maybe try changing to more veggies and/or low carb for a bit.

There was the old weight watchers plateau breaking plan of varying your calories for a few weeks, ie 800 one day, 1600 the next, then 1200, 1400, back to 800.
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    Jozzmenia wrote: »

The problem is that it's not just the piece of chicken. It's the bowl of cereal, the milk along with it, the pasta, the cheese. People are not good at estimating weights of foods.

And oh my god, let's not start the crap about damaged metabolism. This is incredibly rare and almost always the result of dangerous crash diets.

With not a single pound lost, that metabolism hasn't changed.