That's all you're eating?

Options
This is a common question I get from friends... Yes that's all I'm eating. Over eating isn't going to help me reach my goals, smaller portions fill me up now as my body has gotten used to it. I don't think there is anything wrong with eating soup and salad for dinner, as opposed to soup and large entree full of carbs and calories. Not what I want to eat.

How do you deal with others who don't understand?

Replies

• cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I eat all day everyday. Lol. My coworkers used to laugh at me for the sheer amount of food I'd bring to work. My "lunchbox" is seriously a cooler. No joke... So while I had the opposite problem, I think the response could be the same. Ignore them. You can politely tell them *once* that you have goals, and you're eating what's right for you. Betond that, maybe brag a bit

Friend: "That's all you're eating?"
    You: "Yeah, and I've lost seven pounds!!"

Eventually, they'll probably start asking for tour advice! :)
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    ...or you could bore them with the science behind it. Lol. Explain in detail BMR, TDEE, activity calories, etc etc.
  • A_poetiq
    A_poetiq Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    The answer for me is simple. I don't. I stop the conversation at yes. If they ask why or want more information, I tell them because I want to.

Keep doing What works for you! ☺️
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Options
    I eat high volume so when I diet it always looks like I'm eating more than other people lol. Don't understand this one.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    At 4K calories a day, no one ever says that to me...
  • PaytraB
    PaytraB Posts: 2,360 Member
    Options
    You don't owe anyone an explanation. Stick with the plan. You can always sideline them with answers such as A_poetiq has suggested (short, to the point...very effective). Find a way to politely put them off; no explanations required.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I prefer to end those types of conversations. Keeping it to yes/no responses works. All your eating? Yes. Aren't you going to be hungry? No.

Or you could get sassy and look at their plate with a raised eyebrow and ask, are you going to eat ALL that? Really? Wow.

If you want or don't mind the conversation going further, then say yes, and I've lost x lbs by being mindful of my total calorie intake for the day.

I think most people mean well but they may not realize how this gets annoying. And it's rude.
  • Maria_Fatima
    Maria_Fatima Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    cecsav1 wrote: »
    I eat all day everyday. Lol. My coworkers used to laugh at me for the sheer amount of food I'd bring to work. My "lunchbox" is seriously a cooler. No joke... So while I had the opposite problem, I think the response could be the same. Ignore them. You can politely tell them *once* that you have goals, and you're eating what's right for you. Betond that, maybe brag a bit

Friend: "That's all you're eating?"
    You: "Yeah, and I've lost seven pounds!!"

Eventually, they'll probably start asking for tour advice! :)

This.
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Thatonechickoverthere Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Well the funny thing is, I lost 50 lbs in a year from doing this and this one friend knows that. Last year she herself lost 25 lbs. But I guess she stopped doing that because she was asking me that question again. I thought she would have already known the answer as to why I was eating smaller portions.
  • wtliftchick
    wtliftchick Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    In that case she's just being a hater. Maybe she feels bad because she knows she should be doing the same thing as you.
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    I don't think she was being mean, she was just like that's all? Like maybe she gets hungry and can't do it so she couldn't imagine eating what only what I ate, I don't know. Her tone was not nasty though.
  • NaturalNancy
    NaturalNancy Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    I think she was being discouraging and rude.
    Ignore her or anyone like it who tries to embarrass or bring attention to you and what you're eating.
    I agree w @PaytraB !
    But if u want you could be sassy and say yes that's it! Them change the subject.
    Keep to your goals and do you!
  • titianwasp
    titianwasp Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Portion sizes are so ridiculous in the US, (especially at family restaurants) I think people just get used to being served what a family of four would eat somewhere else. Girlfriend of mine lived in Japan for two years during school and her host family ate (she added it up for me one day) roughly 1100-1400 calories a day. Period. They were not dieting...they just ate small portions of relatively healthy things.
  • VeryKatie
    VeryKatie Posts: 5,949 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Well the funny thing is, I lost 50 lbs in a year from doing this and this one friend knows that. Last year she herself lost 25 lbs. But I guess she stopped doing that because she was asking me that question again. I thought she would have already known the answer as to why I was eating smaller portions.

Hmm... since it's a friend with weight loss experience, it might be worth asking what her underlying thoughts are. Seems like someone who you can ask what their perspective is. Being open and in depth once might solve any of her questions in the future.

Examples - maybe she's thinking she'd be hungry if there wasn't more protein; maybe it looks like you're losing weight faster than you are and she is worried; or maybe she thinks you shouldn't lose more because she isn't; maybe she's just making a joke and means to be encouraging (but it isn't effective). You won't know unless you ask.

Not all questions in life have to be responded to with curt or sassy answers. Maybe eventually, but if it were me, I wouldn't start with that. It kind of breaks down communication.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    Hornsby wrote: »
    At 4K calories a day, no one ever says that to me...

Wow! You've spoken about the volume you do so I understand but it still seems incredible lol
  • Thatonechickoverthere
    Options
    VeryKatie wrote: »

Hmm... since it's a friend with weight loss experience, it might be worth asking what her underlying thoughts are. Seems like someone who you can ask what their perspective is. Being open and in depth once might solve any of her questions in the future.

Examples - maybe she's thinking she'd be hungry if there wasn't more protein; maybe it looks like you're losing weight faster than you are and she is worried; or maybe she thinks you shouldn't lose more because she isn't; maybe she's just making a joke and means to be encouraging (but it isn't effective). You won't know unless you ask.

Not all questions in life have to be responded to with curt or sassy answers. Maybe eventually, but if it were me, I wouldn't start with that. It kind of breaks down communication.

She wasn't being mean so I wouldn't reply sassy. I just said, "Yes, I like it." I was just thinking about it afterward, like why did she ask, that's all.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I'm always asking my husband if that's all he's eating for lunch, lol. Honestly I'm always so hungry at lunch, it just boggles my mind sometimes when I see how little some people are eating (for lunch - I have small dinners).

But I have smaller dinners, so when people ask, I just say that I'm not hungry.
  • novio50
    novio50 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I eat quite often daily. I have a breakfast, a pre-lunch, lunch, a post lunch, a pre-dinner, a dinner and many days a pre-breakfast. The running joke is that "I'm always eating" which is true, but I've lost 17lbs...a lot of them have found the 17lbs I lost eating only 2x's a day. Once I explain how much I've lost, their mind is boggled. I eat 8oz of protein, 4-6 oz of carbs 3 cups of water per meal and a protein shake along with juiced veggies every other day. I do exercise 3x's a week, but the food is the majority of my life. Soup...it won't work for me, but my muscle is the majority of my weight!
  • jinny1313
    jinny1313 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I hate that question. I'll admit that my eating habits aren't ideal and I've spent a lot of years trying to get past my body image issues but food is always a struggle. I started with my fitness pal to try to gain a better health perspective and I think one of the things I've learned over the years is that you have to do what is right for you! Every body is different and yeah, there are standard practices that are good for everyone (don't binge on sugar and fat.. Or if you over eat daily yeah you'll gain weight) but your body might not need as many calories as the next person to feel good and it's not about deprevation and you can't compare diet from one person to the next. I just always say that I have my own fitness plan and this is what it entails. Plus, most people that ask me that question are really reflecting on themselves anyways :)
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    No one has ever said that to me....