I weigh 10 lbs more than I did 2 days ago!?

Options
Two mornings ago I weighed myself and I was so excited to see I weighed 204, now this morning I just weighed myself and i've gained 10 lbs!! I thought I was doing good with my eating, staying under my calorie intake and I have been walking on the treadmill. There have been times i've eaten somethings I shouldn't but nothing to make me gain 10 lbs! Anyone else ever have this problem?

Replies

• PBmaria
    PBmaria Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    Get a new scale?
    That just doesnt sound right at all.
  • JulieBoBoo
    JulieBoBoo Posts: 642
    Options
    did you eat a lot of salty stuff? Got a period coming?
  • werryanne
    werryanne Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    That sounds like water weight. No way you put on 10lbs of fat or muscle in 2 days.

Drink plenty of water to help flush your system and watch out for too much sodium!
  • bjohs
    bjohs Posts: 1,225 Member
    Options
    That doesn't sound right to me either. It might be time for a new scale?
  • talysshade
    talysshade Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    First of all, don't worry, you didn't actually gain 10lbs, it's 3500 calories per pound, so unless you overindulged on 35000 calories, you're fine.

In this case i'd even suggest that maybe your scale is broken? Or it wasn't in the exact same place when you used it?

If it's not any of those it's probably simply water weight that you gained from eating something with lots of sugar and salt, it'll come back off in no time, you'll see!
  • lcoreo5
    lcoreo5 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    is your scale digital? are the batteries old? that doesnt sound right.... maybe a couple pounds would be normal, but 10?? did you try to weigh yourself a few times and see if the numbers were the same?
  • jpeterburs88
    jpeterburs88 Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    theres no way. seriously... 3500 calories equal a pound (or something like that...) you do the math- did you eat 35,000 calories in two days? and do nothing? no. get a new scale, girl! or maybe move it... if you weight on carpet it can mess it up too...
  • heatherdills
    heatherdills Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I haven't gained 10 lbs, but one morning I weigh 3 pounds less while others I weigh 1 more. I don't get it either.
  • daverno
    daverno Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Make sure your scales are in exactly the same position every time you weigh yourself. The scales will give you a different reading if on carpet, tiles, or an uneven floor.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Is it a digital scale? Try new batteries.

I've gained 8# in a day from huge amounts of sodium in Shrimp with Penne Pasta & garlic bread.
  • emciriaco
    emciriaco Posts: 41
    Options
    I agree with the others: it's probably water weight. Whenever I have too much sodium, I see the scale go up, no matter how much water I drink, even if I'm under my calories for the day. The excess sodium just needs to get flushed out, and you'll see it fall back off.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    It's definitely water weight - those not so great things you ate recently were probably high in sodium. Take a deep breath, drink LOTS of water, stay in your calories, get in your exercise and I bet you'll be right back down by Monday morning.
  • gemco
    gemco Posts: 129
    Options
    what were you before the 204? was that a big drop as that might have been the error rather than 214. did you weigh yourself under the same conditions? because i can get vastly different results from just up, severely dehydrated with a hangover and late in the day with a couple of meals in me. you know there's no way you've gained 10lb of fat in 2 days so i'd just weigh again next week and see what's what. over time you see a true picture of whats going on but its up and down all over the place in between.
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Are you moving your scale and weighing yourself in different spots??? Leave your scale in one place and DO NOT MOVE IT!!! Make sure it is a flat surface and not on the carpet. I have a 10 lb weight that I put on my scale and move it around until it says 10 lbs exactly.
  • bmw4deb
    bmw4deb Posts: 1,325 Member
    Options
    Same thing happen to me 2 wks ago!! it has came but man what
    a shock!
  • rlwestart
    rlwestart Posts: 2
    Options
    I bet it's sodium also. I gained 1.5 lbs since yesterday and I know it's the amount of sodium i consumed. It's frustrating though!
  • allenlisa
    allenlisa Posts: 96
    Options
    I was just about to start the same topic! I've gained 2 lbs in 2 days! I'm exercising & staying under my calorie limit. WTH right! I'm chalking mine up to water and aunt flo coming this week. I hope! But 10lbs?! Theres no way! I bet your scales off.
  • sla0814
    sla0814 Posts: 240
    Options
    Although sometimes we might indulge in a little something, we can see the repercussions, sodium, a couple days afterwards. Sodium plays a HUGE role in water retention which leads to temporary weight gain. Also, try to eat at least 1200 plus (depending on what amount you're comfortable with) your exercise calories!!

Unless you ate 35,000 calories in two days, there's no way you gained 10 lbs. It's gotta be the scale, water retention, or you're not eating enough!:)

God bless
  • carrieberrie
    carrieberrie Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    Gaining or losing a pound on a daily basis is completely normal. Try not to weigh yourself everyday if you are going to be discouraged by seeing this. Weigh yourself once a week in the morning after going to the bathroom and not eating or drinking anything.
  • rowanctg
    rowanctg Posts: 7
    Options
    I have a new digital scale, and it does the same thing to me on these hot muggy days. I found the first weight it gives is always high, so weigh myself a couple of more times, and when I get the same weight 3 times in a row, accept that as the true weight for the day.

but, like others have said, if the scale is not in the same place each time, or if you weigh yourself at different times of the day, you will get differing numbers. Just for curiousity's sake, one day, I weighed myself at my usual just-after-I-get-up time, and then just before I went to bed, and there was a 5 lb difference. The next morning, it was back to the previous morning's weight...

I don't put much stock in daily weighing, too much variation. I take my weight one day a week, same day, same time, and that's the one I record, and base my progress on. I aim for around a 1 to 1 1/2 lbs loss each week.