Sweet tooth

Options
Hi, I'm new here. I eat way too much sugar. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for some low sugar snacks, but will satisfy a sweet tooth. Please don't say fruit, fruit will not satisfy a craving for a chocolate peanut butter milkshake. Just sayin

Replies

• mayoosh_primrose
    mayoosh_primrose Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    I was gonna say fruit :lol: and I still will, because it's only a matter of getting used to it. I used to crave chocolate like a maniac, but now I don't even think about it, fruit is way better :love:
  • eandasher
    eandasher Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    chocolate protein shake // smoothie with chocolate protein if you wanna be a boss add in kale, broccoli, strawberries, and a splash of oj with ice chunks.
  • shinycrazy
    shinycrazy Posts: 1,081 Member
    Options
    I find dark chocolate sugar free pudding is pretty satisfying.
  • siobherz
    siobherz Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    I have started having a little coconut milk (well the creamy bit on top) with tinned peaches. love it :) and super nutritious. I also have low-cal hot chocolate, or a square of dark chocolate with almonds, or peanut butter and banana on toast
  • danhib
    danhib Posts: 290 Member
    Options
    I was a sugar-aholic too. My biggest vices were in coffee & chocolate. I changed sugar to honey in my coffee but not everyone likes it. If you totally stop adding sugar to things & really sugary foods your taste totally changes. Everything tastes better. When I crave sugar I would have a hot chocolate, a lot of them have ones low in calories & they fill you up. You can do it, I used the eat about 5 chocolate bars a day & drink about 4 litres of Pepsi a day. It will catch up with you!
  • DaintyWhisper
    DaintyWhisper Posts: 221 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I would say it has a lot to do with control. There are times where I want to eat a whole bag of cookies until I feel satisfied. But, I don't because I know I will feel like a failure afterwards.. For me personally, I try to eat a whole grain cereal (Chocolate Mini Wheats) or oatmeal when I need something sweet. Graham crackers are usually lower in sugar. I like Annie's Chocolate chip cookies. They taste like Chips Ahoy but with less sugar. You can also try yogurt with blueberries or ice cream with strawberries. Strawberry smoothies are always good and can kinda taste like a strawberry milkshake.
  • microgeophagus
    microgeophagus Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the great ideas! (except for fruit, lol, I'll try to eat more of it)
    shinycrazy where do you buy that pudding?
  • CaliforniaAJ
    CaliforniaAJ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    Try 99% dark chocolate. You can only eat a few squares at a time, as it is so rich! Add nuts and it's like eating chocolate coated nuts. Yum!

7g of Lindt 99% chocolate (3 squares) and 10g roasted & salted almonds is a filling, delicious snack for just 106 calories.
  • katie22mfp
    katie22mfp Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Low fat popcorn
  • terricherry2
    terricherry2 Posts: 222 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    I made a chocolate, banana and peanut butter protein shake for breakfast today. There are plenty of low carb (sugar) protein powders around. It tasted like a milkshake but was high protein and got a serving of fruit in.

Milk
    Chocolate flavour protein
    PB2
    A banana
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    I fit what I want in my calories when possible, but yeah... I haven't had a milkshake in years.

Protein powder helps with cravings though - you could make yourself a chocolate peanut butter protein shake (with PB2 and chocolate protein powder).
  • CaptainJoy
    CaptainJoy Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here. I eat way too much sugar. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions for some low sugar snacks, but will satisfy a sweet tooth. Please don't say fruit, fruit will not satisfy a craving for a chocolate peanut butter milkshake. Just sayin

When I first started on my journey I also had cravings for sweets. I'd have three Hershey kisses which added just over 66 calories to my day and I'd savor each one, letting them melt in my mouth. There's no harm in a little sugar if it fits into your daily calorie goal unless you have a medical condition that requires you to restrict your sugar intake.
  • Gun4a
    Gun4a Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    My sweet treats are protein smoothie (I add banana, strawberries, honey, cinnamon, milk) and cottage cheese with fresh berries and honey. I have completely given up sweet treats with added sugar. I find it so much easier to control my eating if I don't have any added sugar/junk food in my diet.
  • tryett
    tryett Posts: 530 Member
    Options
    Kind Bars are relatively low in sugar. Plus they have protein and fiber. Some of them have dark chocolate. A piece of Chocolate biscotti is also very good plus it has a nice crunch.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    My sweet treats include sugar free jello puddings, which come in at about 50 or 60 calories each - I love the dark chocolate and the dulce de leche flavours the best.
  • AprilEternity
    AprilEternity Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Bake your own muffins and use the alternative recipes... like apple sauce... or instead of regular sugar use coconut sugar or honey. I make protein muffins and pancakes, etc with these variations and I have less cravings for sweets through out the day. I also like the occasional sugar free jello.
  • AprilEternity
    AprilEternity Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I also found these power crunch bars at walmart... I've tried cookies and cream so far and I love them, they are very filling for me. Only 5g of sugar and 14g of protein, 205 calories. As with all types of protein bars though you'll have to try a few until you find what you like as most have an 'acquired' taste.
  • hobbeskastiel
    hobbeskastiel Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Arctic Zero ice cream is 150 calories for a pint. This is a good one for summer. It's not amazing like Ben & Jerrys or anything but it might help once in a while.
  • lexbubbles
    lexbubbles Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    Try 99% dark chocolate. You can only eat a few squares at a time, as it is so rich! Add nuts and it's like eating chocolate coated nuts. Yum!

7g of Lindt 99% chocolate (3 squares) and 10g roasted & salted almonds is a filling, delicious snack for just 106 calories.

I'm convinced people who say this just don't actually like dark chocolate because I am every bit as capable of eating a whole 100g bar of that in one go as I am of milk chocolate (and every bit as incapable of stopping myself from doing that, so I don't buy it)
  • cecsav1
    cecsav1 Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    Quest bars, chocolate protein powder mixed with coffee, chocolate protein powder mixed with Greek yogurt, chocolate peanut butter protein shake, chocolate protein powder mixed with oatmeal, salted caramel protein powder mixed with iced coffee, chocolate almond milk...