marathon training during summer

Options
Anyone have tips or tricks? Especially if you live in warmer areas like the U.S. southern states.
The heat isn't an issue as much as the humidity. I tried hydrating as much as possible but I can't seem to get my body to cool down and it makes it impossible to run more than 3-4 miles at a time. Morning runs aren't much better, still crazy humid.

Replies

• janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    When you say it's impossible to run more than 3-4 miles, what exactly is happening?

I find I can run in high humidity as long as I'm realistic about pace, but if you truly can't make it work, there is always running inside (which can be dull, but at least resolves the humidity issue).
  • sjohnny
    sjohnny Posts: 56,142 Member
    Options
    Just drink plenty of water. Make sure you're getting electrolytes. And don't push your pace too much especially on your long runs. Understand that your pace will be slower for a given effort the hotter/more humid it is. It's also something you have to build up to and acclimate to.

I've trained for marathons and ultramarathons in the summer in central Texas. I've done 20 milers at 2:00 in the afternoon when it was in the high 90s and the humidity was through the roof. It's not enjoyable but it's not impossible.

Do you normally run more than 3-4 miles when it isn't hot?
  • pomegranatecloud
    pomegranatecloud Posts: 812 Member
    Options
    Are you new to running? If you've just started running or are starting again after a break, the heat and humidity is much more difficult to deal with than if you had been consistently running. You'll adjust to the humidity and heat. Slow down. Your pace will be a lot slower than it is in the spring, fall, and winter. Run in early in the morning or later in the evening.
  • williammuney
    williammuney Posts: 2,895 Member
    Options
    When you say it's impossible to run more than 3-4 miles, what exactly is happening?

I find I can run in high humidity as long as I'm realistic about pace, but if you truly can't make it work, there is always running inside (which can be dull, but at least resolves the humidity issue).

Spot on
    My pace gets killed in the heat but who cares
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    You will adjust some as you do it over time -- it's always the hardest when it first gets humid, IME. And definitely take it slow. My sympathies, though -- it's something I would struggle with if I lived in a climate that was hotter and more humid. Winter running is much easier for me, as you can dress for it.
  • Libertysfate
    Libertysfate Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    sjohnny wrote: »
    Just drink plenty of water. Make sure you're getting electrolytes. And don't push your pace too much especially on your long runs. Understand that your pace will be slower for a given effort the hotter/more humid it is. It's also something you have to build up to and acclimate to.

I've trained for marathons and ultramarathons in the summer in central Texas. I've done 20 milers at 2:00 in the afternoon when it was in the high 90s and the humidity was through the roof. It's not enjoyable but it's not impossible.

Do you normally run more than 3-4 miles when it isn't hot?

Yes, I've done two half marathons. And my short run are usually 7-9 miles, but lately it's been horrible.
    Are you new to running? If you've just started running or are starting again after a break, the heat and humidity is much more difficult to deal with than if you had been consistently running. You'll adjust to the humidity and heat. Slow down. Your pace will be a lot slower than it is in the spring, fall, and winter. Run in early in the morning or later in the evening.

Not too new. I've started running races about a year and half ago, done several small races and two halfs. But I've taken several week long breaks for vacation so that could also be a factor. It just sucks.
  • Libertysfate
    Options
    Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll just keep at it and try not to push myself too hard. Last evening I made it almost 3 miles and then started getting dizzy. I was sipping Gatorade but that didn't seem to help. I haven't been too focused on my pace because of the heat, just trying to get through a run for as long as I can before my body tells me to stop. I'll just keep at it, eventually my body will acclimate.

I also live in rural Oklahoma so gym access isn't much of an option since everything is quite a drives away and time consuming and I only have so much free time in a day. Been having to split my trainings between running what I can and then making up the miles on my elliptical. I also cross train at home, but would rather be outside running.
  • furmickc
    furmickc Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Slow down and drink more water! Drink before, during and after the run. I'm marathon training in coastal NC, so it is hot and humid. Your pace will be slower, but your body will adapt, and if the weather is cooler come marathon day, it will feel so much easier!
  • caitlinrn83
    caitlinrn83 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    Gulf Coast here-this morning it was 84 and 90% humidity....at 4 am. My pace is disastrous, but I would rather be outside than on the treadmill, so it is what it is. Go early, drink plenty, and accept that you're doing more swimming than running-i felt like i needed a machete to cut through the humidity!
  • acbraswell
    acbraswell Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    furmickc wrote: »
    Slow down and drink more water! Drink before, during and after the run. I'm marathon training in coastal NC, so it is hot and humid. Your pace will be slower, but your body will adapt, and if the weather is cooler come marathon day, it will feel so much easier!

I'm in NC and agree with this post. Slow down! My pace on my run this morning (74 degrees at 5:45am and humid) was about 55 seconds slower per mile than when I run in cooler conditions. When it's over 80 degrees, my pace is even slower. I run by feel versus time in the summer months, then come fall the runs seem much easier. Add electrolyte tabs to your water, and if you can, map your routes for your longer runs to either stop back by your home or a convenience store to get some ice-cold water to lower your body temperature. I also find rubbing ice on my pulse points (wrists, neck) helps cool my body temperature. Good luck!
  • Libertysfate
    Options
    Gulf Coast here-this morning it was 84 and 90% humidity....at 4 am. My pace is disastrous, but I would rather be outside than on the treadmill, so it is what it is. Go early, drink plenty, and accept that you're doing more swimming than running-i felt like i needed a machete to cut through the humidity!

LOL that's exactly how I feel.
  • meritage4
    meritage4 Posts: 1,441 Member
    Options
    Ok run 5 minutes and walk 1 minute. repeat and repeat and repeat-you get the idea

or run 10 minutes walk 2 mins repeat many times.

If you have NEVER run a marathon do that for your long run. You will fisinsh your marathon upright and smiling.

Are you sure it is the heat and humidity? Using an elliptical is NOT the same as running. Using a treadmill with a small incline best mimics running outdoors.

Anyway do the run walk thing and it will work.
  • Mike_take2
    Mike_take2 Posts: 2,150 Member
    Options
    A lot (more than I would have preferred) of my training for the 2 marathons I've run was done either early,early,EARLY morning (like 2am) or done in a split fashion on some of the days that I needed to get a long run in (18-22 miles) i.e. 10 miles in the morning and 8 miles at night. This wasn't ideal, but it was the only way to fit it into my busy schedule and the heat/humidity of the Midwest. It still was good enough that I completed both marathons and I hope to run another one this fall.
  • cyndit1
    cyndit1 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Have trained for 3 fall marathons in NJ heat and my best advice is hydration isn't only on long run day. Keep yourself well hydrated all the time, carry water AND a sports drink and I also carry money so I can stop and refill my 4 bottles (I carry 4 8oz bottles for anything over 15 miles, under 15 I will carry 2 bottles and some money for the deli or vending machine refill). If there are not refill spots, I will plant water along the route...I've gotten heat exhaustion a couple times and its not fun. be careful!
  • Libertysfate
    Options
    My body has adapted, just in time for fall... The heat and humidity doesn't bother me anymore and I've been packing frozen water bottles. They melt as I run so I can get in 13-14 miles before all my bottles are melted and the water gets warm.