Calorie confusion!

So I'm 6'2" 383 lbs and I really want to lose this weight but I'm confused about the calorie intake and net calories. I chose the active option and to lose 2 lbs per week. MFP calculated my goal at 3,450...is that too much? Would I need to eat right at that goal to lose weight? Please help?!

Replies

• TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited June 2016
    lilcd10 wrote: »
    So I'm 6'2" 383 lbs and I really want to lose this weight but I'm confused about the calorie intake and net calories. I chose the active option and to lose 2 lbs per week. MFP calculated my goal at 3,450...is that too much? Would I need to eat right at that goal to lose weight? Please help?!

Check MFP against a couple TDEE calculators. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is maintenance. There will be a difference, MFP does not include exercise (most TDEE calculators do). MFP is pretty spot on when exercise is factored in.

After you have your TDEE subtract 1,000 calories for 2 pounds a week.

Here's one:
    http://scoobysworkshop.com/calorie-calculator/
  • lilcd10
    lilcd10 Posts: 29 Member
    TeaBea wrote: »

Check MFP against a couple TDEE calculators. Your TDEE (total daily energy expenditure) is maintenance. There will be a difference, MFP does not include exercise (most TDEE calculators do). MFP is pretty spot on when exercise is factored in.

Here's one:

Thank u I will try that
  • lilcd10

Here's one:

So I tried it and it calculated 3,945 so I would need to consume 2,945 a day?
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016

Here's one:

Scooby will tell you what to loose at 15, 20, or even 25% , you have to choose one of these.. Did you see in the calculator based on which one you chose how much it said to eat to loose?

• lilcd10
    RoxieDawn wrote: »

Here's one:

Scooby will tell you what to loose at 15, 20, or even 25% , you have to choose one of these.. Did you see in the calculator based on which one you chose how much it said to eat to loose?

I chose the 20% option
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member

Here's one:

I chose the 20% option

"Calories based on step 6".....was that 3,945, or the field above? 20% is good. Smaller is for closer to goal.

Remember weight loss is going to take some time. Try not to restrict so much that you risk burning out.
  • lilcd10

Here's one:

I chose the 20% option

"Calories based on step 6".....was that 3,945, or the field above? 20% is good. Smaller is for closer to goal.

Remember weight loss is going to take some time. Try not to restrict so much that you risk burning out.

Yes, calories based on step 6
  • nordlead2005
    nordlead2005 Posts: 1,303 Member
    At 6'2" and 383lb you can be completely sedentary and eat a lot of food to maintain your weight. However, a lot is relative, as it'll make a 5' person gain weight fast and be completely stuffed and leave you mildly hungry depending on food choices.

Your BMR is ~2750 calories/day so if you are sedentary you would need ~3300 calories just to maintain your weight. If you are active then you would need ~4400 calories to maintain. So, depending on your actual activity level you need anywhere from 2300-3400 calories/day to lose 2lb/week.

Your best bet is pick one method (MFP method or TDEE) and a number and just start there. Track it for a few weeks and see how you are doing. If you are losing too fast (compared to your goals and willingness to stick to eating at that amount), then up your calories, if you are losing to slow then either make sure you are logging correctly or reduce calories.

I will note, that over 350lb I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight faster than 2lb/week (average it out over a month or so to smooth out weight fluctuations) especially at the beginning. You could lose 3-3.5lb/week and be fine off the start.
  • WA_mama2
    WA_mama2 Posts: 140 Member
    Ditto all that!^^^

Loss may be rapid in the beginning, this is expected. It will even out. Don't be discouraged when this happens. Water weight is always lost quickly.
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Can you provide more information about why you picked the "active" option? As long as that's accurate, you should be able to eat the 3450 and lose just fine.
  • lilcd10
    At 6'2" and 383lb you can be completely sedentary and eat a lot of food to maintain your weight. However, a lot is relative, as it'll make a 5' person gain weight fast and be completely stuffed and leave you mildly hungry depending on food choices.

Your BMR is ~2750 calories/day so if you are sedentary you would need ~3300 calories just to maintain your weight. If you are active then you would need ~4400 calories to maintain. So, depending on your actual activity level you need anywhere from 2300-3400 calories/day to lose 2lb/week.

Your best bet is pick one method (MFP method or TDEE) and a number and just start there. Track it for a few weeks and see how you are doing. If you are losing too fast (compared to your goals and willingness to stick to eating at that amount), then up your calories, if you are losing to slow then either make sure you are logging correctly or reduce calories.

I will note, that over 350lb I wouldn't worry too much about losing weight faster than 2lb/week (average it out over a month or so to smooth out weight fluctuations) especially at the beginning. You could lose 3-3.5lb/week and be fine off the start.

I set my goal at 2200 a day. I usually eat right up to or a little over each day and I feel fine. I always heard the bigger you are the more weight you will lose starting off but I just wanna make sure I'm doing my part to see the results.
  • lilcd10
    AliceDark wrote: »
    Can you provide more information about why you picked the "active" option? As long as that's accurate, you should be able to eat the 3450 and lose just fine.

I chose active because my job requires consistent moving and lifting. I also walk a couple miles each morning and go to the gym when I can.