How to eat healthy while on vacation? Advice Needed!!!

Options
Hello y'all! Okay, so, I'll admit it, I'm a little (okay, a lot) worried about going on vacation. How do I eat right while in someone else's house? Not just anyone else's house, but my future in-laws house (no, he hasn't asked yet, but I know it's coming). Exercising may not be as hard, but the eating right...well, I'm scared.

I'm going to make a cake and bring it. It's the Pineapple Angel cake. So, I know that's low fat. I also thought about bringing the ingredients for a Blue-Cu salad that's low in fat, but I think my bf will kill me if I try to bring one more thing. "The van's already going to packed to the limit" he has said a few too many times.

What to do? Any advice? I don't wanna insult them by bringing my own food, but I also don't wanna be forced to eat unhealthy foods either.

Needs Advice on Eating Right and Exercising while on Vacation. (Thanks in advance!)

Replies

• DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    Portion control
    Portion control
    Portion control
    Portion control

Eat whatever. If it's 'good stuff' such as a salad, load up. If not, just take a small amount.

Portion control
    Portion control
    Portion control
    Portion control
  • nurseaim
    nurseaim Posts: 146
    Options
    Portion control
    Portion control
    Portion control
    Portion control

Eat whatever. If it's 'good stuff' such as a salad, load up. If not, just take a small amount.

Portion control
    Portion control
    Portion control
    Portion control

So, you're saying "portion control"? LOL... No, really thank-you. That's a big one for me. It's been my goal ever since I've started this journey...my portion sizes.
  • alynk
    alynk Posts: 27
    Options
    Maybe when you get there you can go grocery shopping with the future MIL! It will be a bonding experience!
  • smlamb33
    smlamb33 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    You could let them know that you are on a restricted diet when you get there and that there are some things you can't eat. Just be up front about it, so that they don't just thing you're being rude. Plus, offer to help with meals, so that you can make a few low fat, low cal things to eat. You can also take your own salad dressing and eat salads too, whenever there is a high fat, high cal meal. This way you always have a back up plan, so that they won't have to go out of there way to cook special foods. Just be sure to log everything and lost things are in the database, so that should help you some. Also, if you want to eat what they're eating, just use portion control and maybe eat a big salad but, small portions of whatever, they cook. Hope that helps! Good luck!
  • TheGoblinRoad
    TheGoblinRoad Posts: 835 Member
    Options
    We just did this successfully. Ended up going for lots of whatever veggies and fruits were available, as well as beans, and then kept everything else to a minimum for the most part. One exception was a cinnamon roll, but I felt sick afterward since I was used to eating healthier.
  • HeartLunger
    Options
    Eat healthier foods first with your meals, i.e. salad (dip your fork in the dressing with each bite instead of pouring the dressing over the salad - you'll use a lot less but still get the flavor), vegetables. Drink plenty of water, choose grilled meats over any other preparation. Continue to exercise and keep your goal in mind! Best of luck to you and enjoy your vacation!
  • cruiseking
    cruiseking Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    My thought exactly! Beside's it's "The In-Law's", good excuse to get out and exercise A LOT!
  • Elle_Jamaicangirl81
    Elle_Jamaicangirl81 Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    it would be good to tell them before you head there... i figure they'd be prepping for u to come so they'd go to the store and so on. Tell them early enough so they'll buy accordingly.

maybe accompany them while they cook, so u can see and take a mental note what they put in the food... maybe offer to help out?

I dunno if above mentioned would work... depends on how cool u are with them....

watch how much you eat... thats the biggest thing.
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    My wife and I went on vacation about a month ago.
    I'll admit it was difficult; however, I managed to lose 3 ounces (yes, ounces).
    Fruits and salads -- I gobbled down.
    Baked potato -- I put nothing on it, just 'dry.'
    Dessert -- just a bite.
    French fries -- yeah, two or three.
    Tea & coffee -- nothing in it, not even sweetener.
    Like financial wizards say, "Take care of the pennies, and the dollars take care of themselves." Applied to food, take care of the 'little' stuff like calories, and the pounds will take care of themselves.
    Enjoy, and remember that it's OK to bust the program infrequently. Make up for it later.
  • pa_jorg
    pa_jorg Posts: 4,404 Member
    Options
    Head to the grocery store once you arrive. You could say that you don't want to burden them with the cost of food for everyone, so you got things to share. Then you'll also have the ingredients you want and you can also cook to "help out".
  • Mom2rh
    Mom2rh Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I just posted a Success Story yesterday when I weighed in after 2 weeks of vacation and managed to lose almost 3 pounds.

I didn't exercise regularly unless you call shopping exercise. :glasses:

I tried to eat the way I eat at home. For me that is very little to no processed foods. Portion control. Lots of protein. Lots of fruits and veggies. We ate out a lot. I would eat the protein (fish, steak, whatever) and leave the carbs behind. Appetizers? I ate one in one situation because someone had gone to the trouble to prepare them and I didn't want to be rude. Our appetizer dinner? Stuck to the carrots and hummus but also ate a few taco things.

Part of this journey for me is retraining my mind. I don't have to eat everything put in front of me. I can eat just a bite or two or three of dessert and be satisfied if I eat it at all. I can drink wine. Or tequila shots. Or whatever. Because someone cooked bacon, I don't have to eat it.

You might want to sneak in some protein bars or other easy snacks that travel well. Don't let your fiance see you :wink: :laugh: Good luck. Live your life. Have fun. Do you best.
  • nurseaim
    Options
    Thanks everyone...such wonderful advice!

@Pa_jorg...I had thought about heading to the grocery store the next morning after we're there. It's a 10 hr trip with 4 children, so depending when we get there if it's not too late, I may just run to the store. Hopefully, I can talk my bf into that...since I don't know my way around MI.
  • nurseaim
    Options
    It's nice to see how others did it while on vacation too. Thank-you.