My body has decided to maintain at 110, but I'm not happy...

Hello,

Background: I am a 24 year old female, only 5ft. At my highest I weighed 150 lbs. I am now 110 and I feel like this is where my body wants to be. I was at 100 back in November, but it was difficult for me to stay there without dieting.

I don't hate my body, but I am not completely happy with it. I would like to lose 5-10 lbs but don't know how to go about it. I am currently eating 1800 calories. 3 weeks ago, I joined the gym and have been going at least 4 times a week. I don't focus on cardio. I do strength exercises involving kettle bells, barbells, lunges, squats, planks... I fluctuate at 109 and 110. I thought I could lose these last 10 lbs just through exercise or at least see a difference: a slimmer waist, toned arms and legs. Should I lower my calories? How low should I go? Any other suggestions?

Before at 100:
Waist: 26
Hips: 35

Now at 110:
Waist: 26
Hips: 36

I'm actually not upset that my hips increased... But I would like my waist to decrease. :s

Replies

• Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Do heavy weight lifting.
  • Missatomicbombx
    Missatomicbombx Posts: 8 Member
    ynmiihlk795r.jpg
    wxn3uwvrr1re.jpg
    f1ad89soq39u.jpg

Any estimates on my body fat? The handheld body fat calc has ranged from 22-25%.

Bikini picture was taken May 21st, a few days before my menstrual cycle, the other two were taken June 6th.

Monday and Thursdays:
    Warm up: 5 minutes cardio
    Lateral Band Walks
    Lunges, 10 kg kettle bells in each hand
    Goblet Squats: 14 kg 3*15
    Romanian deadlifts: 60 lbs, 3*15
    Hip bridges: 60 lbs, 3*15
    Step ups: highest black box I can find
    Kettle bell swings: 10 kg, 3*15
    Squats with barbell: 50, 3*15
    Abductor: 90, until I can't anymore
    Glutes machine: until I can't anymore

I honestly can't lift a barbell heavier than 50 lbs. I was told to use the squat machine, but I started at 40 lbs and am now able to lift 50 lbs onto my shoulders and squat.

Tuesday, Wednesday, Friday:
    I don't have a set routine. Lots of plank variations, leg lifts, dip stand. For arms I do pull one day, push the next day... If someone could help me build or find a nice core routine, that'd be appreciated.
    1.jpg 135.1K
    2.jpg 211.5K
    3.jpg 266K
  • gothchiq
    gothchiq Posts: 4,598 Member
    Get a good quality hula hoop and use it often. This should tighten up your abs nicely!
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 427 Member
    gothchiq wrote: »
    Get a good quality hula hoop and use it often. This should tighten up your abs nicely!

that is a great idea!!
  • pbandalyssa
    pbandalyssa Posts: 86 Member
    ynmiihlk795r.jpg
    wxn3uwvrr1re.jpg
    f1ad89soq39u.jpg

Any estimates on my body fat? The handheld body fat calc has ranged from 22-25%.

Bikini picture was taken May 21st, a few days before my menstrual cycle, the other two were taken June 6th.

Monday and Thursdays:
    Lateral Band Walks

I honestly can't lift a barbell heavier than 50 lbs. I was told to use the squat machine, but I started at 40 lbs and am now able to lift 50 lbs onto my shoulders and squat.

I don't have a set routine. Lots of plank variations, leg lifts, dip stand. For arms I do pull one day, push the next day... If someone could help me build or find a nice core routine, that'd be appreciated.

Honestly I would follow a solid heavy lifting program with cardio on off-days for a few months and not worry about the scale. Your weight may stay the same or even go up but your body composition will change entirely. I would work on strength with heavy weights, 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps. Free weights and body weight exercises rather than machines. I found that changed my body the most.
  • Missatomicbombx
    I downloaded the stronglifts app, and I'm all for the hula hoop! I never learned as kid, but would love too now!
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    I downloaded the stronglifts app, and I'm all for the hula hoop! I never learned as kid, but would love too now!

Sweet! Have fun! I love Stronglifts.
  • mommarnurse
    mommarnurse Posts: 515 Member
    ynmiihlk795r.jpg
    wxn3uwvrr1re.jpg
    f1ad89soq39u.jpg

Monday and Thursdays:
    Lateral Band Walks

Honestly I would follow a solid heavy lifting program with cardio on off-days for a few months and not worry about the scale. Your weight may stay the same or even go up but your body composition will change entirely. I would work on strength with heavy weights, 3-4 sets of 6-8 reps. Free weights and body weight exercises rather than machines. I found that changed my body the most.

I second the free weights, as much as possible. There really isn't any machine's movement that doesn't have a free weight equivalent. Although I'd say free weights are superior anyway.

& lots of calisthenics for toning your belly.
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    I'm going to echo what everyone else has said, heavy lifting. Heavy means heavy for you - I noticed you said you squat with 50 lbs, and that's a great start! Look into Stronglifts 5x5 or some of the programs on Bodybuilding.com. I just finished a lifting program called Crush60 and saw awesome results, another option you could check out.

When I got serious about lifting I saw all my measurements go down (particularly waist) even though I didn't lose a single pound. With your weight, height, and goals, I think that's the way to go for you.
  • Missatomicbombx
    I should've posted weeks ago. I've been so down about my body, it's great to hear suggestions and I feel very motivated! Thank you so much!

Any diet tips as I give stronglifts and free weights a go? I have my macros set to 40f/35c/25p.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    edited June 2016
    I should've posted weeks ago. I've been so down about my body, it's great to hear suggestions and I feel very motivated! Thank you so much!

Any diet tips as I give stronglifts and free weights a go? I have my macros set to 40f/35c/25p.

Macros are a personal choice. Whatever keeps you full and fueled. I am personally at 40/30/30, so we're not far off. I try to hit 0.8 grams of protein for each pound of my weight, which works out to about 145 grams a day. Once I hit my protein macro, my fat and carbs usually fall in place pretty close to goal.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Get 80-100 grams of protein, get 30-40 grams of fats. Fill the rest up with some carbs and whatever else.
  • pbandalyssa
    pbandalyssa Posts: 86 Member
    Hornsby wrote: »
    Get 80-100 grams of protein, get 30-40 grams of fats. Fill the rest up with some carbs and whatever else.

Totally agree with these macros 100% ^^^
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    Yeah. You're slim enough. If you start lifting heavy you'll see the improvements you want. Especially if you like lifting, this is the way to go.
  • pmm3437
    pmm3437 Posts: 529 Member
    edited June 2016
    Start working a progressive strength training program like Stronglifts 5X5 or Strong Curves. Lifting heavy (for you) weights and progressively increasing them will improve your body composition.

This ... if you keep using the same weight/resistance every session, nothing will change. You have to make it progressively harder over time, or your body finds a new balance and stays put.

At your height and age, your ideal range is 95-128 lbs., putting your smack in the middle at your current of 110.

Try to get 1.2-1.8g/kg protein, at least 20g carbs, and at least 30g fat. Beyond that, follow whatever % breakdown based on your preferences.
  • Missatomicbombx
    I'm eating 100-110 grams of protein most days, but 30-40 grams of fat is difficult for me. I lost the 40 lbs when I loosely followed the primal diet. I have reintroduced whole grains back into my diet, but I'm still iffy about carbs and I fell in love with fat.
  • arditarose
    arditarose Posts: 15,575 Member
    I'm eating 100-110 grams of protein most days, but 30-40 grams of fat is difficult for me. I lost the 40 lbs when I loosely followed the primal diet. I have reintroduced whole grains back into my diet, but I'm still iffy about carbs and I fell in love with fat.

You mean you find 30-40g of fat to be too little or too much?