No weight loss high protein vegetarian

Options
Hi!
I am 10 days in to my weight loss journey.
Decided I was unhealthy and lacked the needed protein as a vegetarian.
I have cut way back on calories.. about 1350/day. My diet is now about 70 grams of protein per day with extra fiber (aiming for 35 grams) to help with increase in protein.
Am I crazy to be upset that I have yet to lose any weight? I know these things take time, but I would have assumed a few pounds by now given the sudden change in lifestyle.

Note: Due to an injury, I have not started the fitness part of my diet, so the idea of muscle weighs more than fat doesn't seem to apply yet...?

Thoughts or motivation much appreciated!

Replies

• dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Your profile says you've lost 3 pounds -- which is fantastic for 10 days!

What were your expectations?
  • tamarack00
    tamarack00 Posts: 6 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    The initial weight is not accurate. I just updated it.

I wasn't thinking and did the first weigh-in when I installed the app in the afternoon... I have since weighed every morning first thing.

Have actually lost 0.9... I guess I expected more given the decrease in calories...
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    How are you adding in that protein? Salty beef jerky sticks?
    Wish your diary was open.
    How are you getting all that fiber? Processed fiber snacks?
    Get a food scale if you really want to lose weight.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options
    Give it time. Water weight could be hiding any loss on the scale. It's only been 10 days.
  • fitdaisygrrl
    fitdaisygrrl Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    What are your stats and and weigh loss goals?
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    70 grams of protein is not high protein, it is less than adequate while in a deficit, but better than less than 70 grams.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    Options
    Are you actually eating at a deficit? Are you weighing/measuring your food, or rather how do you know you're eating 1350 cals?
  • tamarack00
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Pea and hemp protein shakes mixed only with water, unsalted nuts, yogurt, kefir, chickpea and cottage cheese. Fiber this week mostly from high fiber cereal, broccoli, hemp, sweet potato and a little benefiber...
  • AngryGangrel
    AngryGangrel Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Fat doesn't come on overnight, and it won't come off overnight. Give yourself more time! Starting out, any losses you see are far more likely to be mostly fluid.

Weigh yourself ONCE a week at the same time and chart your progress over a couple of months. Weighing yourself every day will give you inaccurate results and you'll just drive yourself mad over every fluctuation.

Ask yourself if you feel more energized, and if your clothes start to feel a little looser. Sometimes the scale doesn't move but if you're physically feeling better and your clothes fit better, that IS progress!
  • MelaniaTrump
    MelaniaTrump Posts: 2,694 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    Food scale at walmart, target or bbbeyond $12 to $20.
    http://www.walmart.com/ip/Mainstays-Slim-Digital-Kitchen-Scale/49927625
    You'll be shocked how much variance cereal will have. Measuring vs. weight.
  • tamarack00
    Options
    True, not exactly high protein, but as I mentioned, I was not getting enough. Increasing slowly so I don't shock my weak stomach too much...so 70 is high for me.
    I have not used a scale. Just measuring cups. I do know that I have cut back quite a bit from the open bag of potato chips and chocolate;)

Stats...34/female. 5' 8.5". Current weight is 159. Trying to get back to old weight of 140.
  • RoxieDawn
    RoxieDawn Posts: 15,488 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    OP, its been 10 days.. You should give this about 3 weeks before panic... and after the 3rd week.. use that chart above to help you decide what is going wrong in your sucess.

Also get the food scale..ditch the measuring cups and spoons, If you are only getting 1350 you want to make sure you eat 1350 nothing less and nothing more.. not a lot of calories there IMHO (for your height and current weight). Log mayo, ketchup, butter, oils, all condiments, everything.. 1350 can add up quickly and go over if you do not log it all!!!

• seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    tamarack00 wrote: »
    The initial weight is not accurate. I just updated it.

I wasn't thinking and did the first weigh-in when I installed the app in the afternoon... I have since weighed every morning first thing.

Have actually lost 0.9... I guess I expected more given the decrease in calories...

You lost a pound in 10 days? That's not bad.
  • seekingdaintiness
    seekingdaintiness Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    *reads all other responses* People on this site are absolutely insane and will have you behaving obsessively without even reading what you have said. You are already fairly slim, so aren't going to lose very fast. About a pound a week is a reasonable rate of weight loss. Two pounds is the most anyone should lose unless they are super obese. Obviously you aren't. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. The internet likes to tell us these fairy tales about people who lose twenty pounds in a month, or fairy tales about the perfect diet that will make us healthy and slim if we just stick to it. The reality is more that a lower amount of calories and a higher amount of exercise will, over time, make you slimmer and fitter. You'll feel better if it goes slower and it will be more likely to last. Hang in there :)
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,135 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    *reads all other responses* People on this site are absolutely insane and will have you behaving obsessively without even reading what you have said. You are already fairly slim, so aren't going to lose very fast. About a pound a week is a reasonable rate of weight loss. Two pounds is the most anyone should lose unless they are super obese. Obviously you aren't. It doesn't sound like you are doing anything wrong. The internet likes to tell us these fairy tales about people who lose twenty pounds in a month, or fairy tales about the perfect diet that will make us healthy and slim if we just stick to it. The reality is more that a lower amount of calories and a higher amount of exercise will, over time, make you slimmer and fitter. You'll feel better if it goes slower and it will be more likely to last. Hang in there :)

How is my response feeding OP a fairy tale of weight loss and/or leading her down a road of obsessive behavior? I asked if she was weighing her food (she isn't) and if she was eating at a deficit.
  • capaul42
    capaul42 Posts: 1,390 Member
    Options

I didn't see any sign that we are insane or behaving obsessively. And no one suggested anything that could be construed that way.