No weight loss high protein vegetarian

Options
2»

Replies

• AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    tamarack00 wrote: »
    True, not exactly high protein, but as I mentioned, I was not getting enough. Increasing slowly so I don't shock my weak stomach too much...so 70 is high for me.
    I have not used a scale. Just measuring cups. I do know that I have cut back quite a bit from the open bag of potato chips and chocolate;)

Stats...34/female. 5' 8.5". Current weight is 159. Trying to get back to old weight of 140.

Well . . . speaking as a fellow vegetarian (though ovo-lacto in my case) . . . while 70 is not crazy low for a smaller woman IMO, you probably do want to gradually get a bit more.

"How much protein" is a sure way to start a religious war on MFP, but personally (at 5'5", in maintenance at 120lbs plus or minus 3), I try for a minimum of 100g protein daily. While in deficit, with fewer calories to work with, I was shooting for 80g+, more when possible. (It took some learning to achieve as a veggie, on limited calories, especially as I'm unwilling to eat protein powder, bars, or fake meat products. Yuck. (IMO)).

With a 140 goal weight, I personally would suggest trying for 85-115, or more if feasible, as you increase that goal. Others will disagree, and argue for 140g+.

A big +1 to the food scale idea, too. Made a huge difference for me - suddenly, the whole weight-loss process became predictable. Also +1 to "lose slowly when you have little left to lose" - muscle-sparing, and all that.

Depending on your injury, you could be holding onto some water weight for healing (I did, after surgery); time of month can cause some water weight retention (anything from ovulation through menses for different people); and water weight can temporarily mask fat loss until the water leaves or the fat loss outpaces it. (Keep drinking adequate water: Perhaps counterintuitively, it works against water retention.)

So, food scale, and patience.

Best wishes!
  • dlkfox
    dlkfox Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    When you have a smaller amount to lose, the loss per week is small...like .5 pounds a week. Your .9 is a fantastic result!

Definitely tighten up your logging by getting a scale. I am amazed at how inaccurate measuring cups are for counting calories. And my protein bars? Always heavier than posted.

Best of luck to you!
  • tamarack00
    tamarack00 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    [I try for a minimum of 100g protein daily. While in deficit, with fewer calories to work with, I was shooting for 80g+, more when possible. (It took some learning to achieve as a veggie, on limited calories, especially as I'm unwilling to eat protein powder, bars, or fake meat products. Yuck. (IMO)).

Thanks for this AnnPT... would like to get higher protein, but need to slowly increase so as not to confuse my weak stomach. Sad that 70 is high for me, but that is why I am here tracking!
    Can I ask how you get your protein if you don't do powders, etc? I am allergic to soy and intolerant to too many legumes, so getting adequate protein as a vegetarian has always been a problem. I do well with pea protein powder, but don't want to rely on it. Thanks for all your help!

PS..had not considered water retention with time of the month... good call!
  • JoshuaMcAllister
    JoshuaMcAllister Posts: 500 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am 10 days in to my weight loss journey.
    Decided I was unhealthy and lacked the needed protein as a vegetarian.
    I have cut way back on calories.. about 1350/day. My diet is now about 70 grams of protein per day with extra fiber (aiming for 35 grams) to help with increase in protein.
    Am I crazy to be upset that I have yet to lose any weight? I know these things take time, but I would have assumed a few pounds by now given the sudden change in lifestyle.

Note: Due to an injury, I have not started the fitness part of my diet, so the idea of muscle weighs more than fat doesn't seem to apply yet...?

Thoughts or motivation much appreciated!

Way to early to be worried about no weight loss. At least give it two weeks.
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    edited June 2016
    Options
    AnnPT77 wrote: »
    [I try for a minimum of 100g protein daily. While in deficit, with fewer calories to work with, I was shooting for 80g+, more when possible. (It took some learning to achieve as a veggie, on limited calories, especially as I'm unwilling to eat protein powder, bars, or fake meat products. Yuck. (IMO)).
    Thanks for this AnnPT... would like to get higher protein, but need to slowly increase so as not to confuse my weak stomach. Sad that 70 is high for me, but that is why I am here tracking!
    Can I ask how you get your protein if you don't do powders, etc? I am allergic to soy and intolerant to too many legumes, so getting adequate protein as a vegetarian has always been a problem. I do well with pea protein powder, but don't want to rely on it. Thanks for all your help!

PS..had not considered water retention with time of the month... good call!

Well . . . I do eat eggs, some soy (tempeh, edamame, edamame pasta), and hit legumes pretty hard, which doesn't help you. And you already mentioned Greek yogurt and cottage cheese, which are helpful.

Peanut butter, peanut butter powder (PB2) in yogurt or peanut sauce to use on veggies), quite a bit of skimmed milk (love my lattes), the occasional higher-protein grains/grasses (quinoa, buckwheat, etc.), a bit of flax seed lately, other seeds (I like pepitas especially) and nuts. And, even though the proteins are incomplete, nearly everything I eat that's sorta caloric has some protein in it - the veggies (broccoli, spinach, asparagus, etc.), even some fruits (guava, for example), snacks (popcorn, crispy chickpeas, puppodums), other naturally lower-fat or higher-protein cheeses, oatmeal for breakfast, . . . .

My diary is open to friends, if you want to friend me, but it's up to you.

No question that it will be substantially more difficult for you with food sensitivities . . . I'm very lucky that I'm basically a peasant - can pretty much eat anything.

(edited to fix typos)
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hi!
    I am 10 days in to my weight loss journey.
    Decided I was unhealthy and lacked the needed protein as a vegetarian.
    I have cut way back on calories.. about 1350/day. My diet is now about 70 grams of protein per day with extra fiber (aiming for 35 grams) to help with increase in protein.
    Am I crazy to be upset that I have yet to lose any weight? I know these things take time, but I would have assumed a few pounds by now given the sudden change in lifestyle.

Note: Due to an injury, I have not started the fitness part of my diet, so the idea of muscle weighs more than fat doesn't seem to apply yet...?

Thoughts or motivation much appreciated!

It's never crazy to be upset. You feel how you feel. :)

However, 10 days is not enough time to measure progress. Use any tools you choose to ensure you are eating the amount of calories to lose with amount of weight you want and come back in 30 to 45 days and tell us how it's going.

Patience is a virtue! :D